England v Poland

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hope Roy has the bollocks to leave Lampard out in Brazil next summer.

Townsend excellent again.

Smalling not brilliant but much better defensively than Walker.
bit slow, surprised he didn't play Jones seeing smalling can't get a game for united.

England need someone else to play along side Gerrard with abit of pace who can tackle.

Nice shot from Andros, too bad it didn't go in

10296974684_01f33b8289_o.gif

You must have a really, really low opinion of Smalling or you're overrating Walker. His positional sense is appalling.

To be fair Walker plays for us in a system which means he is often high up the pitch. Many fans say "he relies too much on his pace to get him out of trouble" but I'd bet that is exactly why AVB has him perform that role.

In the past Walker has shown poor defensive headers and lapses in concentration, recently though looks pretty solid imo.

So you are saying smalling above walker?

Defensively yes which is what full backs are supposed to be good at first and foremost, offensively Walker is clearly better but he needs to improve a lot defensively. If Walker does that then yes I would pick Walker but on current form I don't think he deserves to be there, neither does Smalling either to be fair.

Defensively yes which is what full backs are supposed to be good at first and foremost, offensively Walker is clearly better but he needs to improve a lot defensively. If Walker does that then yes I would pick Walker but on current form I don't think he deserves to be there, neither does Smalling either to be fair.

Tell me.

What is your opinion of BAE?

England need someone else to play along side Gerrard with abit of pace who can tackle.

I was thinking about how useful Sandro would be for England. Gerrard really can't be trusted to reliably handle defensive duties. He would have so much more freedom with a Sandro like player next to him.

My god that's Jake Livermore's music

FB's arent defensive first and foremost anymore... they are attacking players with more than average defensive duties... main attributes are speed and stamina so they can run down the line, both ways all match long...

FB's arent defensive first and foremost anymore... they are attacking players with more than average defensive duties... main attributes are speed and stamina so they can run down the line, both ways all match long...
Full-backs aren't attacking players in my book (on the whole). For a team like England, they should be perfectly balanced between attacking and defensive qualities. But if you're playing for Brazil then they might need to be better offensively to suit the system - a solid midfield consisting of Paulinho and Sandro (hopefully) can cover for their wonders up field.

England need a defensively sound right-back first and foremost - how many top quality left-wingers could we come up against in the World Cup that could take advantage of a weak right-hand side? Neymar, Ribery, Di Maria etc we could all expect to play at the World Cup in the second round or quarter finals.

Is it just me or does Daniel Sturridge always seem to be throwing his arms in the air and moaning like a bit of a bitch?

That was a very good match, the performance was also pretty good.

If that was the shape of things to come then I can definitely get in board with being excited by England games again. We all know there are countries out there with better squads but its about time the England team and management realised that we don't care that we're probably not going to win the World Cup. We just want to see a team go there and try to play good, attacking football.

We looked very vulnerable on the break last night so Gerard or whomever plays alongside him needs to be aware of covering the back four during play transition. But I'd rather we go out losing 4-3 then limp out on penalties after consecutive 0-0 draws

Full-backs aren't attacking players in my book (on the whole). For a team like England, they should be perfectly balanced between attacking and defensive qualities. But if you're playing for Brazil then they might need to be better offensively to suit the system - a solid midfield consisting of Paulinho and Sandro (hopefully) can cover for their wonders up field.

England need a defensively sound right-back first and foremost - how many top quality left-wingers could we come up against in the World Cup that could take advantage of a weak right-hand side? Neymar, Ribery, Di Maria etc we could all expect to play at the World Cup in the second round or quarter finals.
For a team like England and Norway(to use my own country as an example) then yes, the FB is not predominantly an attacking player. But let me ask you this... Would you rather have a defensive FB like Neville, who was largely annonymus when attacking and strong defensively, or a player like Walker, who if told to be more defensive still has the ability and attributes to help the team attack on counters and in possession and still race home to cut a pass or muscle a player off the ball. I atleast would much rather have the player who can play both ways at an acceptable level. Also, what other RB english RB is better than Walker? Johnson, I don't think so. Smalling/Jones, not really RB's at all. Clyne? Still some way off being top level, but he is likely to become as good or better than Walker. So yes, given time England might get a better RB, but right now, Walker is the best option as he can defend, attack and run up and down the line all game long.

Back
Top Bottom