England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yawn. I keep hearing these generic, cliche ridden statements with no actual substance or responses to the arguments made. Still waiting for these NT’s with loads of world class footballers by the way.

2006= lots of world class players, but other national sides were a lot stronger then. Relative to now, this team is better.

People are just full of cliches and referring to past history when it comes to England and come up with the same boring shite as if there’s been no progression. We are ranked third in the world, lost a final on penalties and then a quarter final narrowly to the best squad in the world. A game we were dominant in.

This team consistently does well in tournaments. We’ve beaten Croatia, Germany, Italy (home and away), Spain etc in recent years and we have an extremely strong on paper squad. I’m not going to deny facts because people have some weird mental block/PTSD when it comes to admitting England are actually good.

Since Southgate took over England has won against the following teams in big tournaments:

Tunisia
Panama
Colombia (on penalties)
Sweden
Croatia (group stage)
Czech Republic
Germany
Ukraine
Denmark (a.e.t)
Iran
Wales
Senegal

Whenever they play against really decent teams they tend to fail miserably.

On paper perhaps, but they were horrible together. Gerrard was genuinely average for England considering he won games almost by himself at times for Liverpool. Lampard was slightly better, but still often under-whelming. Hargreaves always injured. Carrick barely got a look in. 30 odd caps isn't a lot for someone who played for 15 years.

Im talking about the individual quality. No English midfielder today is as good as Lampard and Gerrard was then. Bellingham is close though.

Since Southgate took over England has won against the following teams in big tournaments:

Tunisia
Panama
Colombia (on penalties)
Sweden
Croatia (group stage)
Czech Republic
Germany
Ukraine
Denmark (a.e.t)
Iran
Wales
Senegal

Whenever they play against really decent teams they tend to fail miserably.

‘Fail miserably’ being an extra time loss to Croatia, losing to Italy on fucking penalties and losing to France by a goal because Kane missed a penalty??

None of our exits have been no contests. Tournaments are HARD and there’s a huge element of luck and timing. An insanely good French squad has won a single WC.

This team is better than it was at the World Cup when we lost (undeservedly) to the most talented NT on the planet in a quarter-final because Kane missed a pen.

This team is hugely talented and has made every tournament competitive. Does that mean we win something? No, an incredibly talented Belgium NT won nothing. Tournaments are fucking hard and you get limited chances.

Watkins has 21 g/a (more than anyone else this season in the Prem) and suddenly people act like he’s a bad striker. You play Giroud, he wouldn’t get 21 goals and assists in the premier league!

We’ve got fantastic offensive/AM depth, decent fullback depth too. We’re poor depth wise at DM, GK and CB but this is normal with national teams.
Giroud literally did get 21 g/à in the PL - multiple times.

Your football takes are hilarious.

Giroud literally did get 21 g/à in the PL - multiple times.

Your football takes are hilarious.

Sorry I actually undersold Watkins. He’s got 26 g/a, which is more than Giroud EVER managed in a premier league season. And the season isn’t even close to over. Amazing.

My takes are hilarious? The fact you think a 37 y/o Giroud who scored 4 in his final PL season YEARS ago is comparable to his prime self is hilarious. You think he’d get 21 g/a now? Get a grip. He peaked at 24 when he was a decade younger.

Sorry I actually undersold Watkins. He’s got 26 g/a, which is more than Giroud EVER managed in a premier league season. And the season isn’t even close to over. Amazing.

My takes are hilarious? The fact you think a 37 y/o Giroud who scored 4 in his final PL season YEARS ago is comparable to his prime self is hilarious. You think he’d get 21 g/a now? Get a grip. He peaked at 24 when he was a decade younger.
Of course he isn’t at his peak now. You’re the one comparing Giroud with someone 10 years younger.

I’m sure when they both hang up their boots, Giroud wouldn’t trade his two World Cup finals, his WC winners medal, CL winner medal, Europa league winners medal, série a title, and countless FA cups for Watkins great season aged 28.

There are levels to the game :D

Of course he isn’t at his peak now. You’re the one comparing Giroud with someone 10 years younger.

I’m sure when they both hang up their boots, Giroud wouldn’t trade his two World Cup finals, his WC winners medal, CL winner medal, Europa league winners medal, série a title, and countless FA cups for Watkins great season aged 28.

There are levels to the game :D

Literally fucking nobody is comparing Watkins’ career or prime Giroud to him, I compared the CURRENT edition of both players. And I’d rather have current Watkins than Giroud, that’s for fucking sure.

You mentioned Giroud getting more than 21 G/A 8-9 years ago as if he could do that now. He couldn’t.

Literally fucking nobody is comparing Watkins’ career or prime Giroud to him, I compared the CURRENT edition of both players. And I’d rather have current Watkins than Giroud, that’s for fucking sure.

You mentioned Giroud getting more than 21 G/A 8-9 years ago as if he could do that now. He couldn’t.
If Watkins gets 2 tournament goals before Giroud gets to 10 then I will give £20 to a charity of your choice. That’s 2 goals away for both players.

Giroud will likely retire after the euros. Watkins is entering the peak of his career.

Bookmark that.

If you don’t think that’s a good bet then who cares about Watkins? His contribution will be meaningless on the international stage.

If Watkins gets 2 tournament goals before Giroud gets to 10 then I will give £20 to a charity of your choice. That’s 2 goals away for both players.

Giroud will likely retire after the euros. Watkins is entering the peak of his career.

Bookmark that.

If you don’t think that’s a good bet then who cares about Watkins? His contribution will be meaningless on the international stage.

I won’t take it because we have a world-class centre forward who will play every game. But if we had to start with Watkins or Giroud, I’d go with the guy putting up 26 goals and assists in the best league on the planet over the 37 year old sat in Serie A.

‘Who cares about Watkins’ is such a dumb statement. The point is you act like we have poor CF depth when a guy with Giroud’s CURRENT quality gets in to your team. We have players in their prime doing bits in the Premier League. We’re fine.

England have won 4 out of 25 games against teams ranked in FIFA top 20 since Euro 2016.

And Deuterz Deuterz is out here like The Sun in 2002 telling everyone how great England are.

Erm no we haven’t you thick cunt. We beat Germany, Denmark, Croatia, Italy (x2), Spain. We even beat Switzerland, Colombia & Senegal who are all currently in the top 20 and likely were when we beat them. There’s definitely a shit load more I’ve forgotten about.

At least check your sources before throwing crap stats out.

I won’t take it because we have a world-class centre forward who will play every game. But if we had to start with Watkins or Giroud, I’d go with the guy putting up 26 goals and assists in the best league on the planet over the 37 year old sat in Serie A.

‘Who cares about Watkins’ is such a dumb statement. The point is you act like we have poor CF depth when a guy with Giroud’s CURRENT quality gets in to your team. We have players in their prime doing bits in the Premier League. We’re fine.
First, Giroud has 23 G+A assists so far this season so he’s doing pretty well.

Second, you seem to think the PL is some great predictor of how good someone will be in an international tournament. I’d much rather rely on Giroud who is still banging them in a top 5 league and has played in the biggest finals at club and international level before. Just another semifinal for him. Watkins? LOL

But you’re welcome to overrate England players.

Erm no we haven’t you thick cunt. We beat Germany, Denmark, Croatia, Italy (x2), Spain. We even beat Switzerland, Colombia & Senegal who are all currently in the top 20 and likely were when we beat them. There’s definitely a shit load more I’ve forgotten about.

At least check your sources before throwing crap stats out.
I stand corrected. It’s 8 wins out of 29 against teams in the top TEN. 28%. Not great odds when you’re trying to win a major tournament

‘Fail miserably’ being an extra time loss to Croatia, losing to Italy on fucking penalties and losing to France by a goal because Kane missed a penalty??

It would have been 2-2 if he had scored the penalty. You make it sound like he missed it at 1-1 with 1 minute left.

At the end of the day you know that it's almost impossible for England to win when they face decent sides in big tournaments. Your hysterical posts tonight wont change that.

First, Giroud has 23 G+A assists so far this season so he’s doing pretty well.

Second, you seem to think the PL is some great predictor of how good someone will be in an international tournament. I’d much rather rely on Giroud who is still banging them in a top 5 league and has played in the biggest finals at club and international level before. Just another semifinal for him. Watkins? LOL

But you’re welcome to overrate England players.

Saying Watkins>Giroud in 2024 isn’t overrating England players. Giroud is 37, even in his prime he was the guy Woolwich wanted to upgrade on for being limited.

He’s been a solid reliable plan B to have for the national squad for years. Fair play to him. I’d be shocked if he gets anything other than token minutes at a Euros he’ll be 38 for.

It would have been 2-2 if he had scored the penalty. You make it sound like he missed it at 1-1 with 1 minute left.

At the end of the day you know that it's almost impossible for England to win when they face decent sides in big tournaments. Your hysterical posts tonight wont change that.

We lost 2-1 to the best team in the world and you’re throwing that in as failing miserably. It’s so hilariously dumb. We were competitive all game, lost by a goal because a guy missed a penalty. Failing miserably is not losing by a goal, or losing in a shootout.

I dunno why some of you bother watching football if you think the past totally defines the future and that a clearly ever improving, young team couldn’t possibly get over the line when we’ve been penalty shootouts away from a trophy.

You support fucking Spurs. Do you think it’s ‘almost impossible’ that we win a trophy in the next 10+ years because we’ve failed to in the last 10?

A team with Saka, Rice, Kane, Bellingham, Foden, Stones, Walker in it could win a tournament. Of course it could. That doesn’t mean it will but the idea it is some impossibility is unbelievably far out from any kind of logic.

Im talking about the individual quality. No English midfielder today is as good as Lampard and Gerrard was then. Bellingham is close though.

I'd say Bellingham is considerably better than both at the same age. I really liked Hargreaves, but it's hard to compare him to Rice when Owen was forever on the treatment table.

But there's no doubt England have far better strikers and forwards to select from now. Individually maybe not as many big names as 2006, but a better "team", and far more likeable.

Im sorry but this is utter nonsense. I hear stuff like this before every tournament and then England only look decent against farmers in the tournaments. I would argue that the 2006 edition was way better than this current England team.

Individually yes, but as a team not even close

Back
Top Bottom