England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Neither will any England fan.

Cheers, Roy.

And we still beat Wales..

“TALK ABOUT PASSION, TALK ABOUT PRIDE”

Commentators just had to go and open his big mouth didn’t he.

The Iceland game was the most depressed by far I’ve felt as an England fan. Everything after the early pen goal was diabolical. Players moving it about slowly and looking shell shocked.

We ended that game with four strikers. Nice bloke Roy, great career … but he really was terrible for us and Liverpool.

Will he be brave enough to play him though? Starting him makes more sense than starting Mainoo to me, even though Mainoo played well in the recent friendlies. Will probably be the "safe" option, Gallagher, just because he has more experience.

Yeh, most of the fresh/exciting names won't make the cut.......

I'm torn about that..... In fairness I'd be pissed if Gary was still pissing about not having a strong idea about who his squad is just a few weeks away from k/o.

The Iceland game was the most depressed by far I’ve felt as an England fan. Everything after the early pen goal was diabolical. Players moving it about slowly and looking shell shocked.

We ended that game with four strikers. Nice bloke Roy, great career … but he really was terrible for us and Liverpool.
Yes, it was depressing.

But that game gave us one of the finest sporting moments in out execrable history:

View: https://youtu.be/XaW1hqqyEhw?si=rwy_YhSHYq1aulhQ

I hated that England team. I never took to Rooney. Couldn't stand the likes of Hart, Cahill, Young and Sturridge, among others.

The current England team and squad obviously aren't perfect but they are generally just so much more likeable. And better. We might not win anything, but at least these days there wouldn't be a chance that we would go out to Iceland in a tournament 99 times out of 100. One thing we've generally done well under Southgate is dispatch the teams we should be beating with relative ease.

This is absolute gold and something I keep coming back to.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYwznTg6Jes

Last edited:
Someone who looks far too much like YouTuber Thogden who is an utter melt.

Trafford has always looked great for England under 21's but clearly found the jump to the Premier League last season a massive step.
Ah so he's the Burnley keeper. I had to check who he is on Google.

I think goalkeeper is England's weakest position. Not had a top keeper for years.

Need another Peter Shilton. or that bloke with the pony tail.

Ah so he's the Burnley keeper. I had to check who he is on Google.

I think goalkeeper is England's weakest position. Not had a top keeper for years.

Need another Peter Shilton. or that bloke with the pony tail.

He’s not a top keeper but Pickford does deserve a little credit. He’s rightfully making a lot of team of the seasons after being very good in the 2nd half of the season especially.

Erratic at times for sure but a brilliant shot stopper. Probably deserves a step up to a bigger club.

Erratic at times for sure but a brilliant shot stopper. Probably deserves a step up to a bigger club.
Agreed but it's the erratic bit that's the issue. England don't seem to have top class goalkeepers anymore.
A safe and steady pair of hands and good distribution filters to confidence in the defencive ranks and beyond.

Agreed but it's the erratic bit that's the issue. England don't seem to have top class goalkeepers anymore.
A safe and steady pair of hands and good distribution filters to confidence in the defencive ranks and beyond.

I honestly think Maguire almost certainly starting is a bigger issue. Pickford is much better at goalkeeper than Maguire is at centre back.

And our alternatives to Maguire are either poor (Dunk), very young (Branthwaite) or untested in the team (Tomori).

I honestly think Maguire almost certainly starting is a bigger issue. Pickford is much better at goalkeeper than Maguire is at centre back.

And our alternatives to Maguire are either poor (Dunk), very young (Branthwaite) or untested in the team (Tomori).

The untested part is 100% on Southgate.

Guehi and Tomori have both played decent minutes as LCB for their clubs.

Branthwaite would still start for me. Maguire is a walking penalty for every team we play.

Back
Top Bottom