England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can you stop? That United team is horribIe. And he has only played in meaningless friendlies for England.

Erm no, why do my opinions on a footballer bother you? I've watched him, seen all the signs of someone who could be generational if he develops correctly. You don't have to think the same thing lmao.

"That United team is horrible" - its one place and 6 points below us and in an FA cup semi-final. For the record I view Sarr as potentially generational and have for a while, even with a small sample size. You don't have to watch a player for 100 games to form opinions.

He's 18, already starting for United and has been their shining light. He comes in to an England side and is immediately the brightest player on the pitch.

The talent is as obvious as anything, the way he glides with the ball, the clever intricate passes. That doesn't mean he's even close to a guarantee but I absolutely see him as potentially generational.
United are shit, and he is being well overhyped.

If he played for Brentford there wouldnt be half this much hype.

If he played for Brentford there wouldnt be half this much hype.

Nope, probably not. Wouldn't change how good he is though.

I have rarely seen a midfielder at that age who looks so calm and assured on the ball. Coming in to that England senior side and doing what he did vs Belgium is exceptional. Every time he picked it up, it was exciting.

Nope, probably not. Wouldn't change how good he is though.

I have rarely seen a midfielder at that age who looks so calm and assured on the ball. Coming in to that England senior side and doing what he did vs Belgium is exceptional. Every time he picked it up, it was exciting.
Renato Sanchez Euro 2016...slow your roll, Deuterz.

Generational...:harrylol:...it's like you've killed 'world class' dead and are now getting stuck into another vague descriptor of quality...folks will be left simply throwing out stats when you're done.

Deschamps is nothing special. He wouldn't be getting big club offers if he left France. He won a world cup with a side that had Kante, Pogba, Mbappe, Griezmann, Varane, with about a million very good players around them and an insane bench. France don't ever look like an amazingly well coached side (from a managerial view, we outplayed them in the WC quarters, but their individuals took opportunities on the day) but they have had the best team in the world to play with.
Deschamps is where he is cause he has -and always had had - friends in high places. And cause of his playing career...captaining Marseille to CL glory in '93, France to their first WC in '98. He's French football's equivalent to Alain Prost.

But he ain't an elite manager, despite winning the big one in 2018 and making the final in Qatar. They also lost the Euros final at home in 2016, were shite at the 2021 edition, equally gash in the Nations League not that far back, and even when they went far in big tourneys, they always had plenty luck and/or Griezmann/Mbappe/Giroud to dig them out of trouble.

Very much like Southgate, he has his favorites and will pick them even when their form/level is shocking...see Upamecano, Lucas Hernandez, Tchouameni. Also, he does weird things like Kounde at RB, when the lad is a CB and he said himself he hates playing out wide.

Most French football fans I know cannot wait to see the back of him. But he's just signed a new contract so Zidane & co will have to wait.

International football is really down to the players you have at your disposal . You don’t have the players long enough to really coach a system . Argentina won the World Cup with a manager no one had heard of, and probably cannot remember who he was. In fact, he had never been a manager, he was a scout on opposition and got the job because he was all they could afford.
They had Messi plus the kpr, Romero, De Maria. Full backs were not top class. Montiel has ended up at Forest.Not the usual 4 or 5 world class players pundits say that you need to win a world cup or euros.
I would say there is not a team in the world with those 4 or 5 players.
We have Kane and Bellingham. Some of the others are very good but not world class .
There is not an outstanding team in Europe which is why we have a big chance to win it. Just need to turn up and perform and not make stupid mistakes like Tuesday.
You forgot the Qatari authorities and refs. They were brilliant for the Argies at that WC.

My 23 man squad

Goalkeepers
Pickford
Ramsdale
Pope (if fit) or Telford

Defenders
Walker
Tripper
Stones
Maguire
Branthwaite
Colwill
Shaw
Chilwell or Gomez

Midfielders
Rice
Mainoo
Trent Alexander
Gallagher
Bellingham
Maddison

Attckers
Kane
Toney
Foden
Saka
Rashford
Eze or Gordon
I just realised I forgot to put Palmer in this squad which is criminal.

He played well in the friendlies but after watching United since, I think the tournament is a bit too soon for Mainoo. There's definitely a top player there but at the moment I don't think he should be starting any important games.

It's more than likely going to be Conor Gallagher as long as he keeps giving 7/10 performances for Chelsea and scoring the odd goal. For me, it should be Ross Barkley after the season he's having for an unfancied club. He can pass a ball, can bring it out from the back and I think would link the midfield and attack really well. Also obviously has tons of experience now. Pretty sure Gibbs-White could play that role too although he might be a bit too offensive.

He played well in the friendlies but after watching United since, I think the tournament is a bit too soon for Mainoo. There's definitely a top player there but at the moment I don't think he should be starting any important games.

It's more than likely going to be Conor Gallagher as long as he keeps giving 7/10 performances for Chelsea and scoring the odd goal. For me, it should be Ross Barkley after the season he's having for an unfancied club. He can pass a ball, can bring it out from the back and I think would link the midfield and attack really well. Also obviously has tons of experience now. Pretty sure Gibbs-White could play that role too although he might be a bit too offensive.

Wouldn't touch Gallagher, Jones makes more sense.

I'd still take Mainoo, he's playing in a shite team with no structure so he's gonna look stinky at times but he's a talent for sure.

Fuuuuuuck right off with Gallagher. I’ll be absolutely fuming if he starts. We are not winning a European Championship with Gallagher at the heart of midfield. He has no vision, makes weird sloppy passes out of play regularly and his technical fundamentals are all iffy.

He works very hard but it isn’t enough. Pre injury Phillips in the last Euros was a much better player as he could at least spray passes about with regularity.

Ask Rice to be a disciplined 6 (not his best role but yes he can do it) and get Bellingham to drop in to 8 with Foden playing 10.

Fuuuuuuck right off with Gallagher. I’ll be absolutely fuming if he starts. We are not winning a European Championship with Gallagher at the heart of midfield. He has no vision, makes weird sloppy passes out of play regularly and his technical fundamentals are all iffy.

He works very hard but it isn’t enough. Pre injury Phillips in the last Euros was a much better player as he could at least spray passes about with regularity.

Ask Rice to be a disciplined 6 (not his best role but yes he can do it) and get Bellingham to drop in to 8 with Foden playing 10.
Blaise Matuidi brought balance to the French midfield. Why not Gallagher?

Blaise Matuidi brought balance to the French midfield. Why not Gallagher?

Matuidi was a lot better at what he did. Gallagher has his engine, but that’s about it. If we had Matuidi I’d take him. Though he wouldn’t fix our need for a 6 playmaker type which is actually what Deschamps managed to get Pogba to do. Something he never would’ve done in a United shirt.

We’re going to need Southgate to be similarly creative… good luck.

It's going to be Henderson ...I told you this and you couldn't face the truth. At least folk have stopped pretending that Mainoo was the second coming. He is a young prospect in good form who played against makeshift sides. The gushing was utterly embarrassing.

It's going to be Henderson ...I told you this and you couldn't face the truth. At least folk have stopped pretending that Mainoo was the second coming. He is a young prospect in good form who played against makeshift sides. The gushing was utterly embarrassing.

Henderson wont start a single game at the Euros. I’m pretend to make this bet with anyone here for pretty much any conditions.. why people are convinced of it I don’t know, he’ll play a part but he wont start.

Mainoo is extremely talented but very raw, as you’d expect.

Rather Bellingham at 8.

He has done amazing for Real at 9/10 covering Real’s lack of a CF (Joselu ain’t great) but once they get Mbappe it’s Mbappe CF with Vini and Rodrigo wide and Bellingham back to box to box. We don’t have to play Bellingham as a 10 to match Real simply because Real have a short term tactical deficiency. So yeh Rice 6, Bellingham 8, Foden 10 and Palmer or Saka wing.

Because we all know Gary. And his judgement is utter gash.

It’s gash yeah, but he isn’t about to pick a guy who hasn’t played the last friendlies and is knocking about in a pub league on his last legs. At least not to start big tournament matches, it won’t happen.

He will pick Gallagher, or some other form of work ratey midfielder.

Back
Top Bottom