England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seeing as the likes of Gallagher and Henderson aren't good enough against the better sides, and Mainoo still lacks experience, I wonder if it might be worth going back to the 5 at the back Southgate used to love. Playing that way eliminates the midfield issue, though Bellingham would have to be more disciplined than the role he plays at Real Madrid. But it gives you extra strength in defence and also would allow you to bring Trent into the side, who regardless of what you think of him as a defender, is second to only De Bruyne in the Premier League in regards to what he can do on the ball.

Walker, Stones and Maguire at centre-back with Trent and Shaw playing as attacking wing-backs. Rice and Bellingham in midfield. Then any two from Foden, Saka, Maddison, Rashford, Grealish, Gordon and Palmer depending on form, fitness and what you want against certain opposition. Kane obviously up top. The biggest issues with that are you would have to play Bellingham deeper, and 5 at the back can become extremely negative if your wing-backs get pushed back. The positives are you can get TAA in the side who brings creativity, and you also have Walker's pace in the centre of defence which is a massive plus.

I honestly can't think of anything worse than shoe-horning Bellingham, by far our biggest shining light in recent games, in to a 2 man midfield in order to get the best out of Trent who has turned up for England once against Malta, and who has very little experience of being a wing-back in a 5.

That doesn't fix midfield issues, it creates new ones. And it still has Maguire in the lineup. If you want pace in the backline then put Branthwaite next to Stones (he's quick and actually good). You can afford one young/inexperienced CB in the back five because the other four are all very experienced players. Plenty of reports saying City want Branthwaite anyway, may as well get him used to Stones/Walker early.

It's either that or we have to endure Gallagher or Henderson in midfield. He wouldn't be brave enough to play Mainoo (or Maddison) against a top side in an important game.

That is ultimately better than playing 5 at the back

Because all he's gonna do is stick Rice and Henderson or Gallagher in the 2 anyway.

I honestly can't think of anything worse than shoe-horning Bellingham, by far our biggest shining light in recent games, in to a 2 man midfield in order to get the best out of Trent who has turned up for England once against Malta, and who has very little experience of being a wing-back in a 5.

That doesn't fix midfield issues, it creates new ones. And it still has Maguire in the lineup. If you want pace in the backline then put Branthwaite next to Stones (he's quick and actually good). You can afford one young/inexperienced CB in the back five because the other four are all very experienced players. Plenty of reports saying City want Branthwaite anyway, may as well get him used to Stones/Walker early.

Trent has never been given a run of games for England or been given a fair chance to show what he can do. Also, Bellingham is only considered an attacking midfielder or second forward now on the back on the last 6 months. Before this season he was seen as a central midfielder, either defensive or box to box. He never once played in an attacking role at Dortmund and was there for 3 years. At times he was the furthest midfielder back. He can play a few roles comfortably. I do want him in a position he can do most damage, but also you have to do what's the best for the team as a whole.

Anyway, I'm not even saying it's what I would do or want to see. But it's an option none the less. Hopefully Mainoo can continue to impress and then we can stick with the current formation. But we desperately need the wing-backs to stay fit.

It's either that or we have to endure Gallagher or Henderson in midfield. He wouldn't be brave enough to play Mainoo (or Maddison) against a top side in an important game.

(Why did you 'agree' with my post? ......Only to completely ignore the crux of it with your subsequent post?)

We would still play Rice + Hend/Gall anyway.

Trent has never been given a run of games for England or been given a fair chance to show what he can do.

He's been given lots of chances....... He's also been given the opportunity to play in MF.

The simple fact is he's another player won't get the best of of because he's too conservative.

Last time he played him in MF it was instead of Bellingham, FFS. :crys-thru-frustration:

Also, Bellingham is only considered an attacking midfielder or second forward now on the back on the last 6 months. Before this season he was seen as a central midfielder, either defensive or box to box. He never once played in an attacking role at Dortmund and was there for 3 years. At times he was the furthest midfielder back. He can play a few roles comfortably. I do want him in a position he can do most damage, but also you have to do what's the best for the team as a whole.

It was only through playing Jude as a #10 that Gary began using him regularly...... His instincts left him averse to playing him as a #8.

None of these players are as good on the ball as Stones. Some are better at plenty of other things, but if you're talking ball-playing defender from the position, he's the best on the planet. To the point where he was playing at the base of midfield under Pep Guardiola for large parts of last season (Incl Inter, where again .. standing ovation) and was brilliant.
VVD is better on the ball - he’s impeccable

I rate Foden very highly but it is a fact that he has never really done it for England. Hard to leave him out , prob end up on the left . I would think Grealish will be sweating over a squad place at the moment.
As it stands I would think he’s watching it on tv.
Not his fault - Eng don’t get the ball into the final third so what the f is he supposed to do? Kane generally looks awful and peripheral but glosses over the shit football and lack of service by forcing goals

GJnXWVzWwAACH18

Nah. Van Djik is better at basically everything else but purely on the ball Stones is one of the best footballers I've seen at centre-back. Some of his ball-carrying, mazy runs last season were genuinely staggering.

You couldn't get VVD to play in midfield like City did with Stones last season imo.

View: https://youtu.be/ZSbc9QPVw9s

Agree he couldn’t play in MF but he could play upfront with more impact. Both brilliant on the ball in their own ways, VVD touch and passing is better and more goal threat aerially

What does Maddison have to do to get a game?

Mainoo? Seriously

Mainoo sits further back. Only way Maddison gets in this team under Southgate is if Bellingham is missing.

Anyway, disaapointing to see Dunk selected over Branthwaite. Dunk is a decent 32 year old Premier League defender. Branthwaite is the near future.

England have to be beating this Belgian side at home. I genuinely wouldn't take any of their starting 11. Maybe Vertonghen but that would be a sentimental choice.

Is the Wales game on TV? I fancy watching a game that has at least a bit of purpose behind it.
I think you can watch on on iPlayer - go to 'channels' and pick 's4c'. However, I won't know this for sure until 19h20, when the news finishes, as it's all in Welsh (obviously) and not as clear as it was for their Finland game.

I think you can watch on on iPlayer - go to 'channels' and pick 's4c'. However, I won't know this for sure until 19h20, when the news finishes, as it's all in Welsh (obviously) and not as clear as it was for their Finland game.
Yakky da.

Back
Top Bottom