England squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Foden for me needs to play on that RW

He won't though. Saka will always start there as long as he's fit. I know Foden isn't as good off the left but he has played there on plenty of occasions for City. There are games though where pace on both flanks are vital and that's where Rashford comes into play, frustrating as he can be.

He won't though. Saka will always start there as long as he's fit. I know Foden isn't as good off the left but he has played there on plenty of occasions for City. There are games though where pace on both flanks are vital and that's where Rashford comes into play, frustrating as he can be.

Saka has pace but he rarely runs in behind, he prefers to come to the ball which is why Foden is a good replacement. I feel as long as you have Rashford in the team you have that pace outlet.

The only thing you'll get with Saka compared to Foden is that he'll keep the width, Foden will come in and try to affect the game more in the middle.

Manchester United co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe has made England manager Gareth Southgate his top choice to replace Erik ten Hag in the summer, and would like a decision from the 53-year-old sooner rather than later. (Star)

that's the end of utd then...

Danny Murphy advocating Southgate for Man Utd but then when he’s asked if he’d have him as Liverpool’s next manager he is stopped dead in his tracks. Amusing.

View: https://youtu.be/2oba6US3DLY?si=9lR5GjrtX4-R7jKB

Branthwaite LB tucked in so TAA can get forward. Maybe even play Walker RCB so he has pace and 1v1 defending to cover the channels when TAA goes forward. Branthwaite sitting at LB means Rashford can push up and play high which stops teams penning us in when Kane always drops deep.

Foden is half the player on the LW when he can't cut in. We have 3 top RWs, just need to pick one. Foden can maybe play centrally at times depending on the opposition. If we play Kane, which obviously we will, you have to have Rashford's pace to stretch defenses, otherwise they just push up and squeeze the space for our MF.

Gary did the LB/CB thing in the last round of games and it was shit.

Agree about Foden...... Can't play him Jude & Hk all bunched together in the CAM area. Also agree re: PF at LW.

Saka has pace but he rarely runs in behind, he prefers to come to the ball which is why Foden is a good replacement. I feel as long as you have Rashford in the team you have that pace outlet.

The only thing you'll get with Saka compared to Foden is that he'll keep the width, Foden will come in and try to affect the game more in the middle.

Fair points. I think ultimately we have plenty of good options which is what you always want.

But Christ. You know you're already missing the Premier League when you're talking about England and it's not even a tournament yet! The 30th can't come quick enough.

Saka is obviously too good and obviously too important to drop. Was excellent at the World Cup, is set in the system and there is no reason to drop him for right wingers with very similar numbers this season.

Foden is a very hard one. I’d LOVE to play him ten with Bellingham/Rice behind but get that it would be very offensive. Too imbalanced. He’s another that sort of has to play though because he’s our best natural ‘footballer’.

But I would drop him before Saka. Simply because Saka has better performances for the NT under his belt, he suits what Southgate wants to do more, and possibly suits the international game more.

.....Didn't even know who or when we were playing until a moment ago.

FWIW:

England v Brazil - Sat 23rd Mar - 7pm
England v Belgium - Tues 26th Mar - 7.45pm

Your strongest
Pickford
TAA
Walker
Stones
Chilwell
Gallagher
Rice
SakaFoden
Bellingham
Rashford
Kane
lineup code
[lineup]
Pickford
TAA Walker Stones Chilwell
Gallagher Rice
Saka/Foden Bellingham Rashford
Kane
[/lineup]

France’s strongest
Maigan
Pavard
Konaté
L.Hernandez
T.Hernandez
Tchouameni
Rabiot
DembeleComan
Griezmann
Mbappe
Giroud
lineup code
[lineup="away"]
Maigan
Pavard Konaté L.Hernandez T.Hernandez
Tchouameni Rabiot
Dembele/Coman Griezmann Mbappe
Giroud
[/lineup]

Last edited:
Your strongest
Pickford
TAA
Walker
Stones
Chilwell
Gallagher
Rice
SakaFoden
Bellingham
Rashford
Kane
lineup code
[lineup]
Pickford
Gallagher Rice
Kane
[/lineup]

France’s strongest
Maigan
Pavard
Konaté
L.Hernandez
T.Hernandez
Tchouameni
Rabiot
DembeleComan
Griezmann
Mbappe
Giroud
lineup code
[lineup="away"]
Maigan
Tchouameni Rabiot
Giroud
[/lineup]

Rashford is fine, needed for pace, not sure about Chilwell, he's not better than Shaw and Gallagher nah not for me, need someone to pass forward there because Rice won't do it, maybe Mainoo or Curtis Jones.

For the France team does Camavinga not get in over Rabiot?

You can pick your preferred defenders but I think the six ahead of them should look like this;

Holding Mid - Rice
CM - Bellingham
CM - Maddison
LW - Saka
RW - Foden
ST - Kane

That is six outstanding players, all can score a goal, all can create a goal at any level.

Some may prefer Rashford to Foden, no problems there either but I do think Foden at his best is better

Your strongest
Pickford
TAA
Walker
Stones
Chilwell
Gallagher
Rice
SakaFoden
Bellingham
Rashford
Kane
lineup code
[lineup]
Pickford
Gallagher Rice
Kane
[/lineup]

France’s strongest
Maigan
Pavard
Konaté
L.Hernandez
T.Hernandez
Tchouameni
Rabiot
DembeleComan
Griezmann
Mbappe
Giroud
lineup code
[lineup="away"]
Maigan
Tchouameni Rabiot
Giroud
[/lineup]

5-0 England. Maybe 5-1 on a bad day.

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

If England had more dependable (on the biggest stage) centre-backs, you could push Stones further forward into the holding role which would then also allow Rice to play a bit further forward as he does for Woolwich. But Maguire (he will start) and Dunk/Konsa/Branthwaite is far from ideal. You'll get away with that against the likes of Serbia, but not France, Portugal and Spain.

Rashford is fine, needed for pace, not sure about Chilwell, he's not better than Shaw and Gallagher nah not for me, need someone to pass forward there because Rice won't do it, maybe Mainoo or Curtis Jones.

Camavinga can play left back and dm so his versatility is useful off the bench. Rabiot is also better attacking so a true 8. And very tall which is useful at set pieces.

However I think in a 4-3-3 without Griezmann then Camavinga could start.

Your strongest
Pickford
TAA
Walker
Stones
Chilwell
Gallagher
Rice
SakaFoden
Bellingham
Rashford
Kane
lineup code
[lineup]
Pickford
Gallagher Rice
Kane
[/lineup]

I'd still rather we went:
Rice
Foden ---------------------- Jude
Saka -------------------- Kane -------------------- Rashford​

....And if that means playing a more conservative back 4 then so be it.

Chilwell is loads better than Shaw imo. Can't stay fit is a huge issue.

I'd still rather we went:
Rice
Foden ---------------------- Jude
Saka -------------------- Kane -------------------- Rashford​

....And if that means playing a more conservative back 4 then so be it.

Rice is such an enigma man, he has everything apart from vertical passing, would be the near perfect 6, basically he's not Rodri which is why him playing in the lone 6 role he struggles.

Rice is such an enigma man, he has everything apart from vertical passing, would be the near perfect 6, basically he's not Rodri which is why him playing in the lone 6 role he struggles.

If he had Foden & Jude collecting the ball from either side of him (and Kane ahead of him); he wouldn't need play any overtly brave/creative passes......

Nor is playing Henderson or Gallagher alongside him instead in a dismal 4231 going to open up any further avenues of creativity/playmaking.

Back
Top Bottom