Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many of those attempts failed to beat the first man?
Non because we don't aim for that zone anymore! Our corners have been delivered into the box, which means they have been easily defended and why we've not scored any (even the one we did score was an OG). The obsession over corners and beating the first man is quite simply the most tragic thing fans moan about, utterly clueless.

(There was however a lot more variation to our corners vs Brentford, clearly, some work had been done on the training ground, our corner takers (Mostly Sonny on both sides) has a new routine communicating what delivery he's going for, looks like it's the number of bounces of the ball before he spots it in the quadrant).

I'd be interested to see how many fans would still want KWP here.

Given our issues with RBs and the fact there is a HG problem. That sale was stupid at the time and looks even more so now.

If Jose wanted Hojbjerg that badly, we should have just paid the little extra Southampton wanted and kept KWP also.

Given our issues with RBs and the fact there is a HG problem. That sale was stupid at the time and looks even more so now.

If Jose wanted Hojbjerg that badly, we should have just paid the little extra Southampton wanted and kept KWP also.
KWP is just not a good enough full back. For all his faults going forward, Emerson is a far better option and he's only arrived in a new country.

If KWP was any good he'd have significantly improved with all the first team football he has had. He hasn't.

Blame should go to Poch on that one, complete negligence the way he used him.

Reggie, is totally out of control with the ball, has one trick to beat oppo in 1v1 and that's to kick it into space behind oppo player and try to use his pace to run around him, comes off like 1% of the time. His crossing vs Brentford was just as "poor" as Emerson's if you were to look and both players crosses in that game, Reggie crossed more because our build-up via Davies was much better down that side of the pitch, (but I don't put that down to being "poor" it's more to do with things not being fully automated within Conte's structure yet, it's not 2nd nature, runs from receivers aren't still timed well enough, trying too hard, having to think about where and what they are doing rather than it being fluid and 2nd nature - This will come).

Emerson is much, much better on the ball and can play out through a press. He's much better defensively, stronger in duels and not prone to over-committing, better in the air too. He does have the ability to beat a man 1v1. All in all better in every single facet of the role than Reggie.

Reggie is much faster but to date, his pace has been totally wasted given how we've set up as a team. Think we'll see under Conte manufacturing attacks that will expoilt that pace is what we will see more of IMO. His test will come against a top team with dominant FB/WB's suspect he'll get pinned backed whereas Emerson will provide a better challenge for his opposite number because he's better balanced down the entire flank.

Are you basing this on what you’ve seen from him at Spurs or have you seen a lot of him at Betis?

Because I’ve seen very little of what you’re saying at Spurs … I hope you’re right.

Spurs. I’ve never sen him kick a ball for any other Club. He’s been good.

Seriously ? I respect your opinion but completely disagree.

I’m all for giving players time ( see Reggie) but this guy doesn’t resemble a top level player to me (even in promise).

His balance, biomechanics and technical ability just don’t seem to be things he can ‘work on’. Yes he’s not made any glaring errors, but that’s largely because he looks too hesitant/passive to fully involve himself.

I think its way too early to call this deal. The last few games I've seen things in him that look coachable. He is tenacious physically he has a good engine he certainly does seem to understand how to play short offensive triangles. And he seems like a boy without the ego that stops progression. I trust Conte l, if Conte trusts him I back the decision.

Modern fullbacks because of tactical changes are increasingly important. The good ones get snapped up fast. I think finding good ones 8s very difficult. Teach Emerson and also keep an eye on the lad keeping KWP out at the saints. He looks like a real prospect.

Reggie, is totally out of control with the ball, has one trick to beat oppo in 1v1 and that's to kick it into space behind oppo player and try to use his pace to run around him, comes off like 1% of the time. His crossing vs Brentford was just as "poor" as Emerson's if you were to look and both players crosses in that game, Reggie crossed more because our build-up via Davies was much better down that side of the pitch, (but I don't put that down to being "poor" it's more to do with things not being fully automated within Conte's structure yet, it's not 2nd nature, runs from receivers aren't still timed well enough, trying too hard, having to think about where and what they are doing rather than it being fluid and 2nd nature - This will come).

Emerson is much, much better on the ball and can play out through a press. He's much better defensively, stronger in duels and not prone to over-committing, better in the air too. He does have the ability to beat a man 1v1. All in all better in every single facet of the role than Reggie.

Reggie is much faster but to date, his pace has been totally wasted given how we've set up as a team. Think we'll see under Conte manufacturing attacks that will expoilt that pace is what we will see more of IMO. His test will come against a top team with dominant FB/WB's suspect he'll get pinned backed whereas Emerson will provide a better challenge for his opposite number because he's better balanced down the entire flank.

When playing well there's a lot to like about him (and his enthused puppy energy), but you're right about Reg on the ball..... Doesn't dribble past players and doesn't work the triangles very well.

When playing well there's a lot to like about him (and his enthused puppy energy), but you're right about Reg on the ball..... Doesn't dribble past players and doesn't work the triangles very well.
He had been good fun in a truly dower passive team (under Jose and some extent Nuno), but it wore off on me, increasingly a liability (again not solely on him on manager more).

But under Conte, with how he has his WB’s play he should become an important cog in the team.

Seriously ? I respect your opinion but completely disagree.

I’m all for giving players time ( see Reggie) but this guy doesn’t resemble a top level player to me (even in promise).

His balance, biomechanics and technical ability just don’t seem to be things he can ‘work on’. Yes he’s not made any glaring errors, but that’s largely because he looks too hesitant/passive to fully involve himself.
He looked exactly like this in Spain. It's not the English weather that's doing it to him.

Don't think I've ever seen Emerson beat his man 1 on 1.
Reggie's pace makes him more of a threat as he can join counters quicker and is often our most advanced player on a break.
He's also shown he can deliver some fantastic crosses.

His issue is just that everything is done at 100 mph and his technique lets him down.

Emerson is slightly better building from deep and is more physical in his one on one defending but offers very little in an attacking sense.

Seems an odd buy …. He’s so far kind of average at everything

Not so fast but not slow
Quite good delivery but nothing you’d admire
Not bad in defense, got an ok tackle on him
Technically quite tidy and his short passing is fairly sound

But nothing screams this is the guy to make up for the mess post walker… include 25m and not home grown and it’s all a bit of a mystery

Edit: plus we bumped the fella the goons took who I read a report on mentioning ‘looked impressive flying down the wing’

Well he wasn’t supposed to be doing that according to TFC scouting accounts

Last edited:
Seems an odd buy …. He’s so far kind of average at everything

Not so fast but not slow
Quite good delivery but nothing you’d admire
Not bad in defense, got an ok tackle on him
Technically quite tidy and his short passing is fairly sound

But nothing screams this is the guy to make up for the mess post walker… include 25m and not home grown and it’s all a bit of a mystery

Edit: plus we bumped the fella the goons took who I read a report on mentioning ‘looked impressive flying down the wing’

Well he wasn’t supposed to be doing that according to TFC scouting accounts
We went to Barcelona and tried to sign their young midfielder on the cheap as his contract was almost up. We lost out on him and ended up with Emerson shortly afterwards when we couldn't agree a fee for the Japanese right back. Not sure if Emerson was always an option we were wanting but would be interested to know.

Back
Top Bottom