Do we want to keep Kulusevski?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Kulu worth keeping?

• Yes

Votes: 115 66.5%
  • No

Votes: 58 33.5%

• Total voters
asking to go into next season, yet again, understaffed.
Just a couple of notes

1. We don't know if we're in Europe next season

2. We don't know what our tactical setup will be next season

3. We don't know what our next manager thinks Kulu is suited for

I rate Kulu tremendously, even now. But if he doesn't fit our medium-term plans in an ideal way and those resources can be better invested elsewhere, there's going to be a live question here. We haven't reached that point yet, though.

The club CAN buy 10 players in a window, if they have to. ENIC has done that before! That seeming like an impossibility is a huge part of the problem. Spending major funds on Kulu just because it's less of a hassle is every bit as stupid as letting him go because of a dip in form.

Just being realistic - we need to focus our limited capacity for getting transfers across the line on other places.
Nope, we need to stop being a club with limited capacity for getting transfers over the line or all of this is for naught anyway.

Its a no from me, I personally think he has been found out , not a lot of pace, cuts in on the left far too often and I think there are better players out there.
Just too slow and as you say appears to have been worked out a bit by opponents. Has to beat a man and then beat him again because they usually catch back up with him. Very disappointing because it looked like he was going to be mustard for a while.

The time and money so far is a sunk cost. The only question we have to ask is - is he worth spending whatever his buyout is? (30m?)

That’s not easy to answer. It feels like a NO based on this year. But being honest, who would we sign in our time based on their performances this year. Kane? Anyone else? Probably not.

I think the final decision has to be our new coach’s… if they can agree a contract in a timely manner. If we let it drag on then we have to make an in house decision which isn’t so easy. I’m probably 55% yes, purely based on last year.

Last season when he signed in January, he was pretty much an unknown player. He wasn’t getting much game time at Juventus & opposition teams & players in the Premier League knew nothing about him or his game. Now they do & it’s clear to see that 99% of the time, he cuts back onto his left foot so as an opposing team, you now know if you make it difficult for him to do that, he becomes pretty ineffective. He’s certainly no Ginola who was comfortable on either foot & was much harder to defend against as the opposition didn’t know whether he was going down the line or cutting back inside.

This is Tottenham. You really expect we'll get 2 new RW recruitments in 1 window? Really? And they'll both be good?

Just being realistic - we need to focus our limited capacity for getting transfers across the line on other places. Be stupid to sign 2 RWs and 1 CB, for instance. No matter how Kulu has played, it hasn't been as damaging as the shambles we've got at the back.

See last post. We'd only need one. Could even bring back Edwards, given our HG issues are fucking shocking.

And regardless, we would need to get Kulu across the line. I assume we will try to haggle with Juventus over it.

See last post. We'd only need one. Could even bring back Edwards, given our HG issues are fucking shocking.

And regardless, we would need to get Kulu across the line. I assume we will try to haggle with Juventus over it.
That's a good point. The £30m is effectively a cap. Could pay less if there are no other bidders.

Nope, we need to stop being a club with limited capacity for getting transfers over the line or all of this is for naught anyway.
Yeah, I've made the point clear long ago that my opinions and comments are rooted in reality. I'm not here to debate how we should be run, because we're run how we are by who we are and I'm not wasting my energy raging against the inevitable.

This club used to buy large tranches of players when we bought mostly 18-21 year old cheapies from the continent. To build us up into a consistent Europa League club. If you want to go back to that era (and, christ, I couldn't blame you because it was more fun) then so be it. But since we adjusted our transfer focus to (trying) to buy more than cheap development players, we've been unable to sign at the volume needed to stock the squad with real depth.

I don't expect that's going to change this summer. So with that in mind, yes, a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

To build us up into a consistent Europa League club. If you want to go back to that era (and, christ, I couldn't blame you because it was more fun) then so be it. But since we adjusted our transfer focus to (trying) to buy more than cheap development players, we've been unable to sign at the volume needed to stock the squad with real depth.
A consistent Europa League club would be a miracle with the constraints that have been placed on our business.

Listen, I hear and understand what you're saying, but I think you're looking in the wrong end of the telescope.

If Kulu doesn't help us, he doesn't help us at any price.

6 months an Gil and Edwards getting bounced around in the PL again and this forum would be dragging up all the "they're too lightweight" greatest hits we've already bandied about regarding both of them.

This is why I hate the transfer addicts - anyone new is better than anyone we have....even when its someone we already had and got rid of because they werent good enough...

A consistent Europa League club would be a miracle with the constraints that have been placed on our business.

Listen, I hear and understand what you're saying, but I think you're looking in the wrong end of the telescope.

If Kulu doesn't help us, he doesn't help us at any price.
What a drama statement. We've been outside the Europa 1 time in 13 seasons.

The idea that Kulu isn't fit, at least, for a place on our bench is absurd.

6 months an Gil and Edwards getting bounced around in the PL again and this forum would be dragging up all the "they're too lightweight" greatest hits we've already bandied about regarding both of them.

This is why I hate the transfer addicts - anyone new is better than anyone we have....even when its someone we already had and got rid of because they werent good enough...

I'm not a fucking transfer addict, I'm just not fond of the idea of paying 30m for a player who has been outright shocking for most of the season purely on the virtues of "we have him anyway" for fucking christ's sake.

It's such dumb logic. Gil isn't great but he has potential and we don't have to pay a penny for him, he works in a back-up role. Edwards also has issues, but at least he would help us with the HG rules, and is a fast player who presents a danger to full-backs, as already seen this season vs us and Woolwich.

Kulu at the moment presents no threat. To anybody.

it’s clear to see that 99% of the time, he cuts back onto his left foot
He really doesn't, I find this a strange criticism.

When defenders overload to that left side he cuts to the byline on his right all the time and tries to cut the ball back.

On one or two occasions he's beaten the defender so badly doing that he's had the space to get the ball back onto his left to cut it across the box, a very valuable attacking situation.

He's just been really profligate with the ball in recent months, he gives it away more than anybody else in the team.

I'm not a fucking transfer addict, I'm just not fond of the idea of paying 30m for a player who has been outright shocking for most of the season purely on the virtues of "we have him anyway" for fucking christ's sake.

It's such dumb logic. Gil isn't great but he has potential and we don't have to pay a penny for him, he works in a back-up role. Edwards also has issues, but at least he would help us with the HG rules, and is a fast player who presents a danger to full-backs, as already seen this season vs us and Woolwich.

Kulu at the moment presents no threat. To anybody.
I'm going back to work, not keeping Kulu is dumb, have a nice day.

And how many times did we finish ahead of City and Newcastle among those.

Dunno if anyone has noticed, but there are 6 English clubs currently leaving us in the dust, and others creeping up behind them.
You're not gonna get me to get all riled up and shouting about Levy, sorry. He owns the club, neither you nor I can change it. Not gonna spend my days raging over it. I wish we bought more and better players, no doubt everyone does.

You're not gonna get me to get all riled up and shouting about Levy, sorry. He owns the club, neither you nor I can change it. Not gonna spend my days raging over it. I wish we bought more and better players, no doubt everyone does.

I don't think anyone ever thought it was possible to do that.

I'd like to see Deki playing centrally in a team that is physically able to press aggressively, and has been coached to do so.

Ie peak Poch, not our current mob.

Because in that set up, Deki could potentially be our Eriksen, the brain who picks the passes and can finish with composure.

But I haven't seen nearly enough to know if Deki has Eriksen's awareness of the movement of his teammates, and ability to play passes early & accurately. Currently, Kane is the only player proven in that role, and we need him up top as his goals are the only thing keeping our season alive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom