Desired Team Tactics

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, he's had his choice made for him for tonight at least!!

I'm going with ONE of Dembele/Capoue alongside ONE of Eriksen/Holtby...
one of each (DCM/ACM)... 4-4-2... old school... bang... done!

[formation="4231, Lloris, Walker, Chiriches, Vertonghen, Rose , Sandro, Paulinho, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Soldado"][/formation]

Or

[formation="4231, Gomes, Naughton, Kaboul, Dawson, Fryers, Capoue, Dembele, Lennon, Holtby, Townsend, Defoe"][/formation]

The tactics that I would employ would be;

Defending.
Quick short simple passing at the back.
Sitting deeper, but not overly deep.
Press and hassle.
The beast acts like the beast.

Attacking.
Wingbacks over lapping.
Push the ball to the wings.
Wingers main task to cross and put through balls through.
Occasional cutting inside.
Quick direct passing into space in attack.
No shooting outside of the box.
More through balls.
Running into space.
AMC making forward runs, putting through balls in.
Staggered attack to pull defenders out of position.

For me it is not an issue of formations nor of having Paulinho - Dembele - Sandro across midfield.
it
I am worried sick watching how static our front 3 are off the ball - when we are in posession they often do fuck all work at all.

People praise Suarez - rightly - for being the leagues most gifted striker on the ball. But if you can bear it watch the Liverpool highlights again. What he really does is constantly finding space, when he does not have the ball.
I also watched a bit of an Ajax game again this weekend and watched Roma draw Milan on monday night. The sheer movement in the forward lines of those 2 teams is astonishing in contrast to our forward 3.

The wingers are a problem in their own right. A wide forward in a 4231/433 should not and must not stand around in front of the fullback and wait for the ball. He is not a wide midfielder in 442. He needs to be moving all the time, inside, outside and at times even beyond the fullback and he needs to aim to get the ball in space in front of him, all while at full stride.

Wingers who don't get that should be dropped and sold off.

[formation="4231, Gomes, Naughton, Kaboul, Dawson, Fryers, Capoue, Dembele, Lennon, Holtby, Townsend, Defoe"][/formation]
My only exception to this is that I would never use Lennon AND Townsend in the same formation, unless injuries forced it. Play one or the other opposite Chadli or Lamela, and I think the wingers would compliment each other well, but neither Townsend or Lennon offer very much creativity in the final third, just pace and trickiness to keep the oppos' flank pinned back.

Oh, and get rid of Gomes.

I would really wan't us to TRY a similiar formation to that of Ancelotti's Chelsea XI 2009-10 when they won the double. A strong attacking 4-1-2-1-2/4-3-3. We have the midfielders powerful enough to do it e.g. Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho etc.. Only problem is they had three goalscorers across the front three in Drogba, Malouda and Anelka..

After all they were the first team to score 100+ goals in the premier and the first to do so since us in the1962-63 season..

Then again I do hate Chelsea.

[formation="41212, Lloris, Walker, Chiriches, Vertonghen, Rose, Sandro, Lennon , Townsend, Lamela/Sigurdsson, Soldado, Defoe/Ade"][/formation]

Wingers tucking in when defending.

My only exception to this is that I would never use Lennon AND Townsend in the same formation, unless injuries forced it. Play one or the other opposite Chadli or Lamela, and I think the wingers would compliment each other well, but neither Townsend or Lennon offer very much creativity in the final third, just pace and trickiness to keep the oppos' flank pinned back.

Oh, and get rid of Gomes.
I half agree with your suggestion of wingers, I see what you're saying, although, I think matching strength with technique with Chadli and Lamela and bombers with Lennon and Townsend would work better dependant on the opposition. The reason for the split would be due to the switch of wingers during the games, Lamela and Townsend are good at coming inside EVERY NOW AND THEN, putting them together would not work well with Lennon and Chadli together.

I'd get rid of a few players that are dead weights at the moment or not what we need.

Gomes
Friedel
Naughton
Sigurdsson
Defoe

Bringing in a keeper, a wing back each side and a striker. Don't worry about the choice of gomes as I wouldn't have him long term.

I half agree with your suggestion of wingers, I see what you're saying, although, I think matching strength with technique with Chadli and Lamela and bombers with Lennon and Townsend would work better dependant on the opposition. The reason for the split would be due to the switch of wingers during the games, Lamela and Townsend are good at coming inside EVERY NOW AND THEN, putting them together would not work well with Lennon and Chadli together.

I'd get rid of a few players that are dead weights at the moment or not what we need.

Gomes
Friedel
Naughton
Sigurdsson
Defoe

Bringing in a keeper, a wing back each side and a striker. Don't worry about the choice of gomes as I wouldn't have him long term.
I should qualify my previous post by saying that I wouldn't play both Lennon and Townsend in the same lineup, against quality opposition. Against these minnows in the EL I don't think it matters much as we're just steamrolling them anyways. At any rate, I don't completely follow what you're suggesting with the wingers. Would you please elaborate?

I also wouldn't ship out any of those players, bar Gomes. We've had enough turnover for the moment. Barring maybe another striker or a LB, I wouldn't want to exacerbate that problem further. Also, Friedel is supposedly transitioning to coaching for us, so I don't think it would make sense shipping him out considering what he offers as a stable voice in the team during this transition likely heavily outweighs getting him off the payroll. Nobody is going to give us any money for him.

Team tactics and formations should be adjusted accordingly for each opposition that we face. But I want to see:

- Quick counter-attacks
- A quick final ball and movement past the defensive line in the final third
- Accurate possession of the ball
- Quick turnover of the ball by the central midfielders
- Full-backs willing to get forward
- Good delivery from set-pieces

Whether that be as part of a 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 10-0-0 is irrelevant

Back
Top Bottom