Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes, the tactics are shit. Yes, I'd rather have Nagelsmann than Mou. And though we are simpatico on this and elsewhere we are not on this Dele front. Even in these shit tactics a few other players managed to standout. The problem with Dele is there is nothing to his game to standout if he's not scoring. And unfortunately his scoring is dependent on the rest of the team. What I'm saying is he is a luxury player that can be carried in a good team but is detrimental to a team like our that needs 10 outfield players helping out and contributing beyond tapins.

I got worried that my <10 more caps call would take a hit this summer with all the England injuries. It doesn't even look like he will even be an emergency call-up such is his play. And kinda like what RBL would do I hope we do the same; sell him in the summer and reinvest is a couple or three more rounded actual footballers. And I've had this hope for 3+ seasons. Can't rely on mercurial 'talents' at this level. You must bring it 7/10 every game or face the bench.
My view is completely unchanged on him, so will not repeat, nothing new to add.

This game however and the way Jose wants us to play hoofing upfield, without even a thought of hitting a pre-planned channel or overloading a channel with the two up top just to give them a chance to pull something off, will fail no matter who is up top. It's pointless debating anyone that played in that position tonight.

My view is completely unchanged on him, so will not repeat, nothing new to add.
Didn't think it would be. But I sense it will in time. Jose seems to be giving him enough rope...and I suspect by the end of season you might have a different perspective.

This game however and the way Jose wants us to play hoofing upfield, without even a thought of hitting a pre-planned channel or overloading a channel with the two up top just to give them a chance to pull something off, will fail no matter who is up top. It's pointless debating anyone that played in that position tonight.
Think you are on firm ground here. But in Mou's defense, and I'm not one to defend his jurassic ass, perhaps if Dele had more holdup capabilities (not a criticism as he wouldn't be expected to have these) he would have been deployed slightly differently. Or if Mou's alternative wasn't Dele but another player with slightly different qualities. The defense is not Dele-specific and just a devil's advocate job.

Didn't think it would be. But I sense it will in time. Jose seems to be giving him enough rope...and I suspect by the end of season you might have a different perspective.

Think you are on firm ground here. But in Mou's defense, and I'm not one to defend his jurassic ass, perhaps if Dele had more holdup capabilities (not a criticism as he wouldn't be expected to have these) he would have been deployed slightly differently. Or if Mou's alternative wasn't Dele but another player with slightly different qualities. The defense is not Dele-specific and just a devil's advocate job.
IMO he's the best equipped to play up top and centre, before Son's injury I thought it to be the best solution as he is better than both Son and Lucas with back to goal. He's a one/two touch player that also has better ability in playing either Lucas and Son either side and using their strengths with their pace at getting behind the oppo. He also has great ability at timing his late runs into the box, these are all trademarks of him, he's also a presser, although our pressing under Jose is a hopeless individual mess. Without Son nothing changes in this, just have Bergwin play instead.

If Jose plays like this for the rest of the season then my critique on any player is caveated by this fact and almost renders any thought on a player pointless.

If Jose plays like this for the rest of the season then my critique on any player is caveated by this fact and almost renders any thought on a player pointless.
Then I shall move my endpoint to next season because A) Dele will not get any better and there is no growth inflection point in history to suggest he will in the future; B) Jose will not play any differently; and C) It will be clear by midseason next year that the interim one is not going to fulfill his contract with us.

This all assumes DL being DL in the summer and not completely bending over for Mendes thereby filling the roster with big money talent to carry out Jose's non-tactics.

But my hope is that Mou convinces DL to cash in on Dele to help balance the squad. Hopefully we can win the FAC to add leverage to his ideas.

Curious.... Question for those that want rid of Dele:

How much £ does one expect to get for a player as 'shit' as he's alleged to be?

Curious.... Question for those that want rid of Dele:

How much £ does one expect to get for a player as 'shit' as he's alleged to be?

30-40 Million to a non top 6 club. Everton, Newcastle, West Ham. Teams that play non descript football looking for a player that will get a few goals for them.

That boot could've hurt Gedson who was sitting right next to him.

To be fair to him he's just starting to come to grips with the reality of the situation and not being protected as he was previously. And not being given the opportunity to stay on for 90 minutes where 89 was dross only to be masked by a goal-hanging tapin must gall.

While some of us, probably you as well, welcome this change and have hoped for it for 3+ seasons it is coming as a shock to him. But tactics aside I'm glad Jose is laying down the law. You wanna stay on then score earlier or do more in the other 89 minutes. I think we both know that won't occur consistently so hopefully we get rid.

I get being frustrated getting taken off every now and then, seeing him doing it nearly every time is a bit tiring.

I questioned the sub at the time but clearly it was the right decision. It was a great tactical sub from Mourinho, we played quick and direct, two qualities Dele lacks in and the subs (Lamela and Tanguy) brought on.

Why are some players lambasted but others are allowed to be shit?

If he started his Spurs career this way would people actually rate him?
No.
So move on from 2016 please that’s four years ago now. The geezer wouldn’t look out of place at Luton

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom