Criticisms of 1882?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People are starting to catch on to what we're doing here. We need to get the membership payment page up NOW or it'll be too late to fleece these fuckers for everything they've got.

Most of the criticism we've received has been about elitism. That we're trying to polarise the support at Spurs. It's mostly people who don't quite get it yet, but I'm sure they will the more it goes on.

Everyone has a job to explain that this isn't an us and them thing. We're simply wanting to bring back some of the fun and passion missing from the modern era of top flight football.

I think there's a direct correlation between our ongoing recent on field success and loss of atmosphere; the way I've always viewed the 1882 mission statement was that successful or not, winning or losing, home or away, support for the club and the shirt should be unwavering. I can't see which part of that deserves criticism? Even it wasn't a Tottenham supporters group that had started it, and it was the aim of a club elsewhere, the very sentiment of it all is deeply admirable.

Is it ambitious? yes.
Is it tinged in romanticism? yes.
Does it fall in line with the philosophy of the club? yes.
Is it achievable? yes.

I imagine the people that find reason to complain are the same type of supporter that deems it's acceptable to boo your own team and send players abuse of twitter; in the same way you can't pick your family you can't hand pick the people that support your club either, unfortunately.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a northern armchair supporter that can't get to as many games as he'd like to.

So what would you do when a small section of people you don't know disagree with how you support the team?

I ignore them because time is short and better spent with like-minded people.

I would say some people are guilty of behaving in a way not conducive to supporting them team feel justified in doing it and then feel resentment when they're told "be that as it may, lets all come together and sing our hearts out anyway". There's already a couple of comments on the article talkback that alludes to that. It's why I titled the article "There is no 1882" because I wanted to appeal to those fans who may preceive it to be some sort of movement by arrogant hipster middle class fans and say to them to say, hey, whatever our disagreements, lets still come together fo the common cause.

Alas, the very first couple of comments in the talkback only highlight the divisions some fans what to hold onto to. It's a shame. In a way I expected it, but not quite so immediate as it has been.

Oh well, we can still do out bit on Thurs.

I think there was probably a bit of resistance to it from the Maribor game because some fans in Park Lane lower, who may have been going to the Lane for 30 years, were suddenly being told that "they used to sing down there" by a section of the ground that don't normally make that kind of noise. They may have thought "who are this lot to tell me how to behave", and thinking "where are you lot on every other match day", not realising that most of the 1882 are either ST holders who moved their seats or at least regulars at the Lane. Obviously those kind of chants were meant in good spirits, but a few people may have taken it the wrong way. I can't see it being a problem on Thursday because everyone will be together in Park Lane and it won't feel like a 'them and us' situation. I think the Panathanaikos game is going to go off really well for 1882 and for the Lane in general.

I can understand such resentment, but it's still a shame. I'm not convinced that sitting there in silence for 90 minutes is a right you earn by attending for 30 years in place of someone who is attending their first match, or is a semi-regular.

Have to agree with this. It's banter, it was done probably to provoke a reaction and means nothing when the people in Block J are mostly seasoned Park Laners.

Those that disapprove outright, we'll never win over regardless of 1882 or not.

You want agendas? How about people that bang on and on and on about the shit atmosphere at WHL, never go to any games, then blank out every single 1882 event this season to avoid citing 'the good atmosphere', then bad mouth it privately.

The only agenda we have is to love football. I've pissed my pants three times today thinking about Thursday night.

I'll be signing autographs at half-time. Please do not approach me directly or make eye contact. Go through either Flav or T for the (printed) autographs. Charged at £4.99 each.

I think there was probably a bit of resistance to it from the Maribor game because some fans in Park Lane lower, who may have been going to the Lane for 30 years, were suddenly being told that "they used to sing down there" by a section of the ground that don't normally make that kind of noise. They may have thought "who are this lot to tell me how to behave", and thinking "where are you lot on every other match day", not realising that most of the 1882 are either ST holders who moved their seats or at least regulars at the Lane. Obviously those kind of chants were meant in good spirits, but a few people may have taken it the wrong way. I can't see it being a problem on Thursday because everyone will be together in Park Lane and it won't feel like a 'them and us' situation. I think the Panathanaikos game is going to go off really well for 1882 and for the Lane in general.

I think you should all stop singing songs like this one to be honest

I personally dont have a problem with it, but a lot of football fans are sensitive and it can create a divide which isn't gonna help anyone. I know it was only a laugh, but some people don't get it, so it's a dangerous zone if our aim is to improve the general atmosphere at The Lane. I know I've posted this before, but I feel the need to repeat it because it's important. I believe the 1882 movement only will be succesfull if it's members behave in a way that Flav and a few others are suggesting.

I'm a season ticket holder by the way, and travel to a lot of games. But because I live abroad I give all the Europa league home games a miss(only go to the away ones). But if this 1882 movement continues I hope to join you one day.

Good luck!

Due to thinking I was on an early flight on Friday (I'm not now), I shall be in the shelf side lower. I demand a chorus of "Frontwheel, you're a cunt, Frontwheel Frontwheel, you're a cunt" and v, wanker and middle signs or I'll sulk.

Please, I beg people to join in when I start this

Due to thinking I was on an early flight on Friday (I'm not now), I shall be in the shelf side lower. I demand a chorus of "Frontwheel, you're a cunt, Frontwheel Frontwheel, you're a cunt" and v, wanker and middle signs or I'll sulk.

I was gonna sing that anyway to be fair

:baletroll:

Whats really sad is I look forward to these events more than most "normal" games now, except the derby and some other hated clubs.

I'm hoping for 1882 to fizzle out sharpish, because if it does it should mean its been successful and that there is no difference in the games and there is a better atmosphere and more enjoyable match day for every game.

wot's not to agree with? and who's being critical? and why? and why should we care? and who is mocking/trolling them? and why even open up a frigging thread about it?

and why the fuck am i even getting involved?

tumblr_m9rxcjOEZf1r5kyvmo1_500.gif

In other news, i got my ticket confirmation today for Thursday's game and I'm very excited for it.

Who else would like to talk about how excited they are rather than the other shit? :avbpray:

Back
Top Bottom