Could we play Defoe and Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Defoe has been on good form lately, so props to him.

But ...
Let's not get carried away, alright.:ossie:

If we ever do, it'll probably be during a match that we're losing or drawing.
Regardless ... Imo, we have better alternatives than instead of sticking 2 strikers up front.

Last edited:
Seriously soldado and Defoe in the same 11?......what are you on

When AVB said that 442 is "definately an option for the future", who do you think he has in mind?

Some people are so cemented in their view, they easily get made to look like cunts later down the line. Do you actually think AVB knows less about the game than you?

Or are you expecting him to play Kane and Ade?

Seriously, do you honestly believe that at no single time, ever, in any game whatsoever, we will never see Defoe and Soldado on the pitch together?

Defoe has been on good form lately, so props to him.

But ...
Let's not get carried away, alright.:ossie:

Imo, we have better alternatives than instead of sticking 2 strikers up front.

So you dont think it will ever work....can never ever work.....judging by the post you just agreed with?

But we will probably use it to try and WIN A GAME WE ARE LOSING!!!???

Seriously. What the fuck?

Didn't they play together at the end of the Woolwich game

Yeah for 21 minutes...those who say it can never work, and you must be an idiot to play them together do you hold AVB responsible for losing to Woolwich?

I mean, he made a sub that, in your opinion, made it impossible to get something out of the game?

We had 21 minutes plus stoppages, and we went 4-4-2. Do you think that was incompetence?

He said he will use it again in the future. You must wonder if hes tactically inept right?

When AVB said that 442 is "definately an option for the future", who do you think he has in mind?

Some people are so cemented in their view, they easily get made to look like cunts later down the line. Do you actually think AVB knows less about the game than you?

Seriously, do you honestly believe that at no single time, ever, in any game whatsoever, we will never see Defoe and Soldado on the pitch together?
'Definitely an option for the future' isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

It's basically saying it's not an option for now, but he won't rule it out.

So you dont think it will ever work....can never ever work.....judging by the post you just agreed with?

But we will probably use it to try and WIN A GAME WE ARE LOSING!!!???

Seriously. What the fuck?

Isn't that what I said? ...

I never implied that it won't work.

442 is useful ... like in the above stated situation, but imo we have better alternatives than a 442 when starting a match. We are much stronger (when beginning a match) with 1 striker up top, due to the quality we have in other positions.

BTW, I primarily agreed with 'that' post because of a really vital fact (which should be kept in mind) that @ Blanchflower Blanchflower stated:
Our formation is 4231 and we've barely varied from that once since villas boas started

Edit:
... He said he will use it again in the future. You must wonder if hes tactically inept right?

The only instance that I could see AVB starting with a 442 would be ...

Later in the season, when teams kinda start figuring our gameplay with 4231 (433) ... AVB may use this 442 formation to surprise opponents and give them a different food for thought.

Last edited:
'Definitely an option for the future' isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

It's basically saying it's not an option for now, but he won't rule it out.

But people here have ruled it out.

Why wouldnt AVB rule it out if its outdated and couldnt possibly work, and will leave a gaping hole in midfield. Arent you concerned that he hasnt ruled it out?

I would be, if I believed those things.

Yet AVB thinks we can use it....which in turn means that people here saying that its a delusional idea must think that our manager is deluded as to the use of 4-4-2.

Which is frankly quite fucking embarrassing at best.

Last edited:
Isn't that what I said? ...

Exactly my point. Yet you agreed with somebody who said:

Seriously soldado and Defoe in the same 11?......what are you on

If you agree with that, how can you find 4-4-2 useful?

This isnt about changing our starting line up...I dont think its the best formation for the players we have, and I like the way its going.

But people acting as if we can NEVER EVER play Soldado and Defoe together ever are getting on my damn tits.
Especially considering we already fucking have, and AVB has said we will again.

We will never start a game with Defoe and soldado on the pitch. I'm very confident of that.

Not sure why you bothered replying to my post though, I was purposely being over dramatic in response to a similarly over dramatic post....

Funny how its changed to start a game as opposed to "the same 11"..

And Im fairly sure we could see them start in the EL, FA or CC...if they do, you must think AVB is inept right? Starting a game we cant possibly win? Or?

Keep the midfield as it is. Everything seems ok right now and I don't think that we need to change anything. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.
This so true mate. Right now the two beasts in the middle with Eriksen or Holtby ahead of them is working far to well for any need to change it.

Scored numerous goals against the filth

Sorry to be a pedant but...one goal in the 4-5 nine years ago.

His record against the other top 5 isn't great but then they are the better teams/better defences so it follows of course that it is harder to score. He does have a good record against City even post their cash injection but his only away goal against any of the other top 5 was at City a couple of years ago.

He has a useful place in the squad, he will batter poor defences and will be very useful to start say next week against West Ham so we can rotate (I'd play Soldado against Chelsea and Anzhi for example). But him and Soldado together from the start when we've just started to find a fluidity from our front 4 wouldn't make a whole lot of sense right now imo, though JD is a better player now than he was 2 years ago.

A lot of people seem to be under the illusion that Soldado and Defoe cannot play together, just wondered what that was based on given they've played together as a partnership for approximately 80 minutes this season? During which time we scored 1 goal (which turned a draw into a win), not bad when you consider we dont even average a goal a game in the league (which is the only times they have played together).

so what is this opinion that they cant play together actually based on?

Last edited:
A lot of people seem to be under the illusion that Soldado and Defoe cannot play together, just wondered what that was based on given they've played together as a partnership for approximately 80 minutes this season? During which time we scored 1 goal (which turned a draw into a win), not bad when you consider we dont even average a goal a game in the league (which is the only times they have played together).

so what is this opinion that they cant play together actually based on?

The fact that both are finishers that don't really serve as contributors to team moves, so across the generality of 90 minutes against even passable opposition it would be a tactical nightmare?

The fact that both are finishers that don't really serve as contributors to team moves, so across the generality of 90 minutes against even passable opposition it would be a tactical nightmare?
Defoe set up 2-3 decent chances the other night.

Defoe set up 2-3 decent chances the other night.

Still not the same as having a number 10, or even a proper assistive striker like Ade.

Defoe is not, and never will be, someone who contributes enough to either chance creation or, more importantly, attacking play buildup. His first priority is to score and that's all we have him on the books to do.

Back
Top Bottom