Could Unai Emery be the saviour of Spurs' midfield ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good evening.

Unai Emery may be about to sustain his track record of putting smiles on the faces of Spurs fans with a revelatory move as the manager of Villarreal.
He has made a brave decision to play Juan Foyth at CDM.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/335107/Show/Juan-Foyth

Foyth has started the last few games in that position, and is averaging a solid 6.23 there. Villarreal are now 5th in the table, thanks in part to Juan's incisive tackling and passing at CDM.

I believe we should recall Foyth from loan in January. He can be a remedy to our strategic problems. Alderweireld and Dier have the tendency to opt for ambitious long balls, which means we bypass our midfield and don't retain much possession. Whether at CDM, or at CB in a back 3, Foyth can help us build from our third.

He can primarily replace Sissoko from the current first XI. He is not as strong as Sissoko, but has better timing on tackles, so is probably on par defensively. Furthermore, since his injury earlier this year, Sissoko is not making the marauding runs which used to compensate for his lack of technique.

In other news, with our Jan transfer window expenditure likely to be limited, I think we should just throw in the kitchen sink and recall Skipp and Sessegnon from loan too. Both are playing well, and current first squad options such as Bale, Lucas, and Winks have disappointed.

No thanks

A few games of mediocre play in La Liga does not mean that Foyth would be any where close to good enough to play for our team let alone as a DM.

Skipp should stay in Norwich where he is having success and developing well. Bringing him back could really stunt his development. If we are willing to replace Sissoko in the starting line-up lets bring in a player from outside to do that. Not risk Skipp's development and putting him in a role we are not even sure he would succeed in.

Sessegnon I would bring back if he is a winger, but if he is LB then no because we need Reguilon playing there as much as possible so it would limit the time we could give to Sess and I certainly don't wnat Reguilon sitting for Sessegnon.

No thanks

A few games of mediocre play in La Liga does not mean that Foyth would be any where close to good enough to play for our team let alone as a DM.

Skipp should stay in Norwich where he is having success and developing well. Bringing him back could really stunt his development. If we are willing to replace Sissoko in the starting line-up lets bring in a player from outside to do that. Not risk Skipp's development and putting him in a role we are not even sure he would succeed in.

Sessegnon I would bring back if he is a winger, but if he is LB then no because we need Reguilon playing there as much as possible so it would limit the time we could give to Sess and I certainly don't wnat Reguilon sitting for Sessegnon.
I don't think we are going to bring in a CDM in this Jan transfer window. I think we may well take a risk and bring in Foyth and Skipp to replace Sissoko and Winks.
The big problem with our play is we don't try and pass the ball from the back, but just panic and lump it forward. This could change that?

He Banned Moura from Paris as soon he had Mbappé ahahah
And this REMONTADA vs barclona ... worst than the final CL Liverpool 3-3 AC milan

I don't think we are going to bring in a CDM in this Jan transfer window. I think we may well take a risk and bring in Foyth and Skipp to replace Sissoko and Winks.
The big problem with our play is we don't try and pass the ball from the back, but just panic and lump it forward. This could change that?

Foyth hasn't shown any indication that he can play as a DM in the PL in the past. Not sure that a few mediocre games in La Liga in the role, which he "earned" by the other guy getting injured not by his great play, would do much to change that.

Skipp is doing well in Norwich, he is a key part to their team having a successful season, why would we want to mess with that? Especially when there is a good chance if he comes back he doesn't make a smooth transition to our club or isn't played by Jose. Makes way more sense to keep him where he is having success.

Foyth doesn't help us at all because he is not an upgrade. He panics way to much and will not help us move the ball up the pitch, The risk of stunting Skipps development is not worth the risk that he might improve us in the MF. Keep him developing so that when he comes back he is ready to go, has a proper pre-season to re-integrate with the team and is a key player for us for 5+ years not 4 months.

There is no reason we can't bring in players this window to fix our MF.

Back
Top Bottom