Could Emerson play as a holding midfielder?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've now seen that Emerson can do a job across the back four so my natural impulse is to wonder if he can push things that little bit further and play as a number 6.

I'm not suggesting that Emerson is a viable first-team contender for any of these positions but I feel his best value to us is as a utility player over multiple positions and obviously the more positions he can play the more useful he will be.

Skipp is clearly the best option we have there at this stage but if Skipp is injured or suspended, Emerson could potentially fill in there and leave Hojbjerg free to do his thing as a number 8. As far as I'm concerned, if he can play for six matches without getting sent off (check) and not ditch us for AFCON (check), he's already off to a good start.

What do you guys think?

:royaltongue:

How about wide forward?

Would save us having to spend on another attacker

Plus I reckon Bryan Gil has all the necessary attributes to be an imposing DM in our side

We've now seen that Emerson can do a job across the back four so my natural impulse is to wonder if he can push things that little bit further and play as a number 6.

I'm not suggesting that Emerson is a viable first-team contender for any of these positions but I feel his best value to us is as a utility player over multiple positions and obviously the more positions he can play the more useful he will be.

Skipp is clearly the best option we have there at this stage but if Skipp is injured or suspended, Emerson could potentially fill in there and leave Hojbjerg free to do his thing as a number 8. As far as I'm concerned, if he can play for six matches without getting sent off (check) and not ditch us for AFCON (check), he's already off to a good start.

What do you guys think?

:royaltongue:
100% in no way will that ever be an option. What makes you think that? He’s poor on the ball,no composure,has no awareness what’s around him as you see when he plays the inverted fb role and is too slow on the ball and would get caught too many times. Everything I mentioned there is the opposite of what’s needed to play as the sitter in midfield.

100% in no way will that ever be an option. What makes you think that? He’s poor on the ball,no composure,has no awareness what’s around him as you see when he plays the inverted fb role and is too slow on the ball and would get caught too many times. Everything I mentioned there is the opposite of what’s needed to play as the sitter in midfield.
My way of thinking is that if we played him there it might toughen him up a bit and perhaps help him improve in those qualities you feel are lacking. One of the things that impresses me most about Emerson is his application and willingness to learn new things. That's why I want to keep pushing the boat with him to see what else he can do.

My way of thinking is that if we played him there it might toughen him up a bit and perhaps help him improve in those qualities you feel are lacking. One of the things that impresses me most about Emerson is his application and willingness to learn new things. That's why I want to keep pushing the boat with him to see what else he can do.
You can keep pushing him but he’d cost us game after game playing there. He’s not good enough to play in there. He’s limited as it is as a normal full back never mind the inverted fb Ange plays with.
He’s a fighter and all heart but ability wise he’s massively lacking and he will be one who ends up being fazed out and sold.

If it were still the 90s, back when a No 6's main (sole?) job was to batter the shit out of the opposing team's attackers, then yeah perhaps Emerson could function as a DM. I mean, the lad is fit as a fiddle, he can run all day and he ain't afraid to get stuck in.

But times have changed. Even an average holding midfielder/ballwinner these days must have good feet, spatial & situational awareness, the ability to carry the ball up the pitch at speed, the ability to create...and Emerson just doesn't have that in his locker.

The lad gives it his all, we've all heard how he's hired a personal trainer to help him improve, and if you've ever seen him live...the boy does try his hardest, he sweats his bollocks off out there. He never downs tools, always fights for the Spurs flag, and I got mad respect for him for that. But you can't buy quality or class.

Very best of luck to Chicken Royal, but he gotta go at the end of the season, if not in January. Best for all involved.

No the 6 has to be press resistant, with good ability to take the ball and distribute forward, of our defenders only Romero would have the type of skillset to do that in a modern 6 role.

Royal would probably be better as a Hojbjerg style number 8 than a 6.

Back
Top Bottom