Corners - we're terrible

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've noticed over the last few games whenever we've had a corner, half the time its failed to beat the first man and the other half its either been a very weak header (often wide) or its been cleared by a defender. Is it just me remembering the bad parts?

Thelonious Filth said:
Our set pieces are utter cunt 9 times out of 10

True. Just watched the highlights from last night (http://www.fileserve.com/file/EXj7guN/E ... -12-11.avi if anyone wants them) and to be fair Sandro had a headed chance from a corner that was fairly close and Modric's free kick, with a flick on from gallas and shoulder from Adebayor was what led to the wrongly disallowed goal. Both good chances. Still though, we're crap, and shit at defending them too.

We have always hit the first man. I'm not a fan of the inswinger corner. When I take mine for my Sunday League I hit them direct, and 9/10 times they hit the penalty spot. It fucks me off a person who plays football for money hits the first man everytime. It's pathetic.

I'm going to say something controversial now but here goes anyway:

van der Vaart shouldn't be taking any of our set pieces!! (neg reps on there way)

There, it's out there now. With a few exceptions they're rarely any good and his freekicks hit the wall 95 times out of a 100. It makes me laugh when other players stand by the ball at free kicks to try and fool the opposition into thinking vdV won't take it.

Modric takes better corners and Bale takes better free kicks. Remove him from the set pieces and we'll improve.

Was thinking the same last night.

Didn't we score from the classic 'Anderton Near post to Sheringham running in' the other week? can't remember the game, but it was one of the few successful corners we've had.

Also Free Kicks - yep, I'd rather see Bale, Modric, Huddlestone or Pav taking them.

We waste so many chances by not being cheeky enough with set pieces - most end up in the wall

Bale is actually pretty good at the left sided free kicks. Nearly always gets them over the wall, scores occasionally and usually gets them fairly close. I'll give you the Modric one, not exactly the best free kick taker.

However, Modric's corners are more often than not better than vdV's. As Sibs said, we scored a goal from a Modric corner and Bale flick the other week, tried it again last night and almost came off plus Modric took the Sandro header. Not sure I can remember one corner vdV managed to get past the first man.

Either way, it's not something we're very good at. Just should choose the right takers to give us the best chance of improving. vdV every time isn't that IMO.

As a side note with regards to free kicks, the Kaboul option should be used a little more often than it currently is. Maybe every 5/6 direct free kick we get. We also need to start to play cleverly. Something we never do is put a man on the end of the wall and get that man to give the wall a little nudge, when the oppo player goes to nudge back our player moves out of the way resulting in no resistance and their player separating from the wall. This leaves a nice gap in the centre for someone like Kaboul to have a blast at. It's pretty basic set piece tactics that we rarely, if ever, seem to use but is used against us regularly.

Wants happened to bale as a set piece taker? He was renowned for a great fk when we signed him from Southampton, scored one on his debut (I think it was anyway?) then nothing.

It always pissed me off when our corners fail to get past the first man. Everytime a corner fails to get past the first man, the corner taker should be fined

too fucking right! bunch of overpaid cunts, footballers.

practice, u dingbats! train! that's wot training's for! u get paid enough, already.

taking shit corners... (that don't get past the first man) or shit free-kicks... (that don't get over the wall) is akin to missing a fucking penalty.

it shouldn't happen - and when it does, the cretin responsible should be fucking embarrassed, the cunt.

Defensive corners are about desire and organization. Both of which we are questionable.

Offensive corners are desire and a good delivery.

Haven’t had a good delivery since eriksen left nor the desire since poch years.

Defensive corners are about desire and organization. Both of which we are questionable.

Offensive corners are desire and a good delivery.

Haven’t had a good delivery since eriksen left nor the desire since poch years.

Eriksen's corners were shite for a good 18 months or so before he left.....

Sonny can whip a nice ball in, but is inconsistent.

It is frustrating that we have nobody that is good at taking corners. Son isn't bad but not great either and I think we would rather have him close to the box to pounce on any balls that are headed down or deflected.

GLC takes them because there is no other option. It is crazy that with all the useless players we have we can't have one guy that at least can take corners and free kicks.

Lol this thread is ten years old and still as accurate as the day it was written. What is wrong with this club?

We also don’t have anyone who can put a direct FK on target either. It’s shocking.

Back
Top Bottom