Commentators/pundits

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm splitting my time between France & Belgium these days and oh my, the commentators/pundits are so bad. Most make Martin Keown sound like a Nobel prize winner and Danny Murphy like a super dynamic fun guy!

France insists on having 2 or even 3 co-commentators for live games (usually incl a former player or manager), plus 1 or 2 pitchside reporters, who all bring absolutely zilch to the table. The equivalent to MOTD is utter garbage, they don't have the full image rights so have to make do with cartoon-like gifs to show the goals 😂 Other such shows are just full of old men journos shouting on top of one another. Utter trash.

Belgium is a bit better, more clued up and civil, but it's still way behind England.

Yes, the UK has/had absolute lemons like Keown, Murphy, Michael Owen, McManaman...and before that Lawro (probably the one I hated most)...as well as super angry Carra, but MOTD is phenomenonal and unequalled. The Saturday Live coverage on Sky with Jeff is iconic (fucking miss Chris Kamara!). I did like G-Nev as a pundit/analyst back in the day, thought he was real good when he started. Roy Keane cracks me up when he rips into players, managers and anyone in between.

I'm defo out of touch with the UK scene now, would be good to know who's on the up/down these days.

I'm splitting my time between France & Belgium these days and oh my, the commentators/pundits are so bad. Most make Martin Keown sound like a Nobel prize winner and Danny Murphy like a super dynamic fun guy!

France insists on having 2 or even 3 co-commentators for live games (usually incl a former player or manager), plus 1 or 2 pitchside reporters, who all bring absolutely zilch to the table. The equivalent to MOTD is utter garbage, they don't have the full image rights so have to make do with cartoon-like gifs to show the goals 😂 Other such shows are just full of old men journos shouting on top of one another. Utter trash.

Belgium is a bit better, more clued up and civil, but it's still way behind England.

Yes, the UK has/had absolute lemons like Keown, Murphy, Michael Owen, McManaman...and before that Lawro (probably the one I hated most)...as well as super angry Carra, but MOTD is phenomenonal and unequalled. The Saturday Live coverage on Sky with Jeff is iconic (fucking miss Chris Kamara!). I did like G-Nev as a pundit/analyst back in the day, thought he was real good when he started. Roy Keane cracks me up when he rips into players, managers and anyone in between.

I'm defo out of touch with the UK scene now, would be good to know who's on the up/down these days.
I split my time between London and Venice. Its not much better on Italian television. The stuff you said about shouting old men. That's very like Italy!

Mark Chapman being lined up as Jeff Stelling's replacement at Sky.
By a street the best football anchor on telly.

As a trained journalist he asks the right questions (doesn't always get the same level of answer back given who the analysts are). A big loss for the BBC but even Chapman no longer fits their perceived demographic. Excellent as the anchor for the American Football show he hosted - the dynamic in that team was fantastic. Been through a lot over the past year and I wish him well.

Fed up of seeing Neville harp on about the “evil” of the super league when UEFA are turning the CL into an equivalent and in many ways a more closed shop .

He hasn’t said a word about it

If his employers were part of the deal to get the broadcasting rights he'd be singing a different tune.

Perhaps he can speak as passionately about over spending for Salford for a change.

How come every spurs game on the premier League coverage seems to have Efan Ekoku on co-comms? The guy seems gutted when we win and thinks every team we face played like prime Barca and deserved something from the game. Actually really starting to boil my piss

How come every spurs game on the premier League coverage seems to have Efan Ekoku on co-comms? The guy seems gutted when we win and thinks every team we face played like prime Barca and deserved something from the game. Actually really starting to boil my piss
Lol I was going to says it's better than fucking Neville or Smith but I'm not sure 😂

Ah, the famous, “pundit’s yours”.

Setting: SkySports Studios.

Narrator: Merson, Nicholas, Thompson or Marsh...

In response to any question about any team that wasn’t part of the Sky4 and was trying to break the glass ceiling...

”Well, that’s what your Man Utd, your Liverpools, your Arsenals, your Chelseas...”

Basically, to be the Sky4 you need to be like the Sky4.

Alternatively about any player making a breakthrough...

”If he wants to win a trophy, he needs to be at one of the Liverpools, Arsenals, your Man Utds or Chelseas of this world”.

Make every conversation about the same 4 clubs...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom