Come here to laugh at the Fascist, Failing Chavs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

View: https://x.com/telefootball/status/1765701399772270903?s=46&t=LZlJuZ1uaIN4QMovCQVkvQ

Happy Shaquille O Neal GIF by Papa Johns

Innocent until proved Chelsea.

Chelsea’s latest accounts have revealed a £90.1 million annual loss, raising serious doubts over their ability to comply with the Premier League’s financial rules.

The club, who were taken over by the Todd Boehly-Clearlake Capital consortium in May 2022, lost £121.4 million in 2021-22 and, after a transfer spree and with a soaring wage bill, are facing another financial deficit for this season, when they will have no money coming in from the Champions League. The Premier League limits clubs to losing £105 million over three years but spending on academies, stadiums and women’s football is exempt.

The accounts of Chelsea’s holding company, Blue Co, reveal that since last season, 22 players have been signed “at an initial cost of £454.8 million” with ten sold at a profit of £48.2 million. Although the transfer fees can be spread out across the length of the players’ contracts — and some of Chelsea’s are as long as eight years — their wages cannot.

Blue Co’s wage bill for 2022-23 was £441.9 million and although it is not stated how much of that relates to Chelsea, it is likely to be a large part of it. Chelsea’s total wages for 2021-22 were £340 million.

The result is that Chelsea face having to take remedial action between now and the end of June, including selling players and securing new commercial deals. The club insist they are not at risk of a Premier League charge for the period ending this season, but Everton’s experience — a ten-point deduction reduced to six on appeal — shows a points deduction would follow any such breach.

If Chelsea decide to sell players, the biggest profit would come from offloading home-grown stars who graduated from the academy such as Reece James, Conor Gallagher or Trevoh Chalobah — which count as pure profit in PSR terms — but that could risk alienating fans.

Chelsea’s turnover has risen from £481.3 million to £512.5 million for 2022-23. That made up 95 per cent of Blue Co’s turnover for its first financial year.

Chelsea said in a statement: “Despite the loss in the year and the continued fallout from the sanctions placed on the club in the prior year, the club continues to comply with Uefa and Premier League financial regulations.”

The club also have concerns over the Premier League investigation into the secret payments made during Roman Abramovich’s ownership. That has been running for 21 months now and should be close to completion, with charges expected. Chelsea’s new owners self-reported the payments to the Premier League, many of which were related to transfers, after discovering them during the takeover process.

Chelsea’s owners have held back £150 million of the purchase price from Abramovich to cover potential sanctions from the investigation, the accounts of Blue Co confirmed.

The accounts state: “The holdback reduction amount is defined as an amount of all losses incurred by any member of the Group resulting from any proceeding in relation to events which took place before the acquisition date, up to the value of £150 million.

“The group self-reported to relevant football authorities certain legal matters concerning historical football transactions. The directors acknowledge the ongoing review by the football authorities in relation to these matters.

“Depending on the outcome, there could be future liabilities that cannot be quantified as at the date of these financial statements.”

Stefan Borson, a lawyer who previously worked with Manchester City as a financial adviser and has an interest in football finance, believes Chelsea will be charged with a breach of PSR next year.

BBC do this one hundred percent on purpose to boost engagements. They also selectively show the number of page veiws on very few of the WSPL stories....I fall for the "Spurs thrashed at Chelsea" hokum every time. Howl of existential pain replaced with a Meh.

We're (collectively) fucked, aren't we?
The bbc aren't even monetised by the Internet, and they have people setting up ridiculous links to get us to click on stuff we aren't really interested in.

We're (collectively) fucked, aren't we?
The bbc aren't even monetised by the Internet, and they have people setting up ridiculous links to get us to click on stuff we aren't really interested in.

That's why I absolutely refuse to pay for a TV license, they don't need the engagement - they're meant to be an impartial PBS not a meme page producing content desperate for clicks, they can go fuck themselves.

Needs its own bit of the Sky Sports app too.

Flicked on there last night to see “Woolwich demolish Villa” and thought “shit, didn’t even know that match was on tonig…. Oh”
They need to start giving it it's own section on websites, sick of looking on BBC, Guardian or whatever and seeing West Ham beat Chelsea as a headline for example, thinking "oooh interesting result" and then discovering that it wasn't actual football...
You see the same ambiguity on SSN's rolling headlines to bait interest.

And the BBC Sport website will continually give WSL stories prominence on the front page that I can guarantee is in no way relative to their clicks. Astroturfing.

You see the same ambiguity on SSN's rolling headlines to bait interest.

And the BBC Sport website will continually give WSL stories prominence on the front page that I can guarantee is in no way relative to their clicks. Astroturfing.
If these agencies gave the women’s game its own section, it would hardly be visited.

Christ, I’m sounding more like Joey Barton every day!

If these agencies gave the women’s game its own section, it would hardly be visited.

Christ, I’m sounding more like Joey Barton every day!
That's the thing, all I want is for some rationality about it. I wish the Spurs Women team well and try to keep up with their results, and I'll generally give the international tournaments a watch.

But a concerted, inorganic media push is obvious to see. The annoying thing is that Joey Barton is frequently stupid and had no savviness when discussing women's football, which of course is red meat to those pushing it because then they can tar anyone not so keen with the same brush as him.

Oh, and Happy International Women's Day.

:ossie:

That's the thing, all I want is for some rationality about it. I wish the Spurs Women team well and try to keep up with their results, and I'll generally give the international tournaments a watch.

But a concerted, inorganic media push is obvious to see. The annoying thing is that Joey Barton is frequently stupid and had no savviness when discussing women's football, which of course is red meat to those pushing it because then they can tar anyone not so keen with the same brush as him.

Oh, and Happy International Women's Day.

:ossie:

......Then again; perhaps it's not part of some deeper culture war conspiracy (Joey; you absolute dickhead!) and these platforms simply wish to help raise awareness whilst also (more selfishly) picking up a bundle of new fans to football (and thus their platforms) who might not already be giving them clicks/custom via the men's game.

(Above is a broad comment towards no-one in particular, but....)

What does "organic" mean in this instance..... The women's game has grown; if some organisations think they have something to gain from it's further growth then they're bound to give it whatever boost they can afford to do..... It's not like the days of purely newspaper print where front page is a serious and costly only-once-a-day pride of place..... These days the front page on these websites are ever changing........ Sometimes the top story is simply the most recent story.

If there's a headline about Man United and the pic attached contains a picture of a woman kicking a ball it oughtn't take a great deal of de-coding as to what the article is about. You then either click it or you don't..... No need to be vexed by it.

Last edited:
So Newcastle, close to ffp limits themselves are apparently going to drop £30m on a back up fullback. Something smells fishy

Just wait til the pricetags of their deadwood to the Saudi Lge start rolling in.

Trippier > Al-buttyfuck = £60m... You know the drill.

.......I'm still expecting Nevez to turn up on their doorstep as a gift-wrapped bargain sooner rather than later too.

Last edited:
......Then again; perhaps it's not part of some deeper culture war conspiracy (Joey; you absolute dickhead!) and these platforms simply wish to help raise awareness whilst also (more selfishly) picking up a bundle of new fans to football (and thus their platforms) who might not already be giving them clicks/custom via the men's game.

(Above is a broad comment towards no-one in particular, but....)

What does "organic" mean in this instance..... The women's game has grown; if some organisations think they have something to gain from it's further growth then they're bound to give it whatever boost they can afford to do..... It's not like the days of purely newspaper print where front page is a serious and costly only-once-a-day pride of place..... These days the front page on these websites are ever changing........ Sometimes the top story is simply the most recent story.

If there's a headline about Man United and the pic attached contains a picture of a woman kicking a ball it oughtn't take a great deal of de-coding as to what the article is about. You then either click it or you don't..... No need to be vexed by it.
What does 'organic' mean? I dare say not curating your sports homepage in a manner that reflects the stories garnering the most clicks, or being deliberately ambiguous with Sky Sports News score reporting. As said in this thread, it generally causes confusion to anyone looking out for men's Premier League results - especially considering there is no image attached.

This very week we had to engage in a hand wringing exercise by the 'Women and Equalities Committee' over ACL injuries in the women's game (with some tiresome lecturing on supposed sexism and an overt shying away from the hypothesis that... well, physiologically it might just be happening more amongst female players doing explosive movements).

Back
Top Bottom