Come here to laugh at Dippers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When they sold Coutinho and bought Van Dijk for what seemed to be a ludicrous fee, there was every reason to think they'd keep sort of muddling along as they had been under Klopp.

But something clicked there, they had their run in the second half, and it was clear that there was something special in the squad, that a platform was there to go higher.

AND THEN, the club's leadership aggressively went into the transfer market while the iron was hot and shored up the team's weaknesses, doubling down financially on a project that was clearly working.

They did exactly what ENIC did not do two years ago. The difference is clear as day.
I have to be honest, I saw van Dijk play a fair bit for Celtic during his time there, one of the seasons he was paired with Jason Denayer - on loan from Man City, now at Lyon - at CB, I honestly thought Denayer would ultimately go further as he appeared to be a very good, physical defender who could pop up with a few goals - I think between the two of them they scored around 20 that season. van Dik strolled it, looked classy but I thought if he went to a bigger league he might be found out, but clearly he has gone from strength to strength since going to Southampton and on to Liverpool.
Denayer bounced around a few loan moves before ending up at Lyon, not exactly shabby but not hit the heights that VVD has.

They aren't. Arguably, their first 11 is stronger but their squad is awful. Look at the benches yesterday. They had hardly anything.

This 20 point gap argument is a myth. They've played well but had hardly any injuries to deal with, plus the run of some very dubious favourable decisions.

I have a standing bet with two Dipper supporting mates for each season for whoever finishes the higher. I'm completely confident I'll be back to winning next season.

They had Oxlade-Chamberlain, Origi (what, a backup striker that actually scores goals), Sturridge, Milner, Lovren, Shaqiri, Lallana and Gomez on the bench. That’s a pretty handy bench if you ask me. All of those player have actually contributed for them this season.

The gap is real - maybe not 26 points, but they have been a clear second best in the premier league this season.

They had Oxlade-Chamberlain, Origi (what, a backup striker that actually scores goals), Sturridge, Milner, Lovren, Shaqiri, Lallana and Gomez on the bench. That’s a pretty handy bench if you ask me. All of those player have actually contributed for them this season.

The gap is real - maybe not 26 points, but they have been a clear second best in the premier league this season.

If we didn't have a season of injury hell and they didn't throw both domestic cups to preserve their league form; what do you judge the true gap to be in terms of points (bearing in mind we finished about them and got 4 points from them the year before)?

If we didn't have a season of injury hell and they didn't throw both domestic cups to preserve their league form; what do you judge the true gap to be in terms of points (bearing in mind we finished about them and got 4 points from them the year before)?
12-15 point gap I would say.

They are much more solid at the back, and they have much better production off their fullbacks (23 assists from 2 fullbacks is insane).

Their midfield is a bit workmanlike, but are (when they need to be) a pressing machine and have a lot of interchangeable role players in there, which means they can pretty much always play the same way. It’s a lot harder to see how they can improve than how Spurs can.

Spurs needs upgrades at right back at least (if Rose’s form can continue), a couple of midfielders (Dier has been disappointing) and capable backup for Harry Kane (who is looking a little too injury prone).

Their goalkeeper is handy too!

Don't know if it's just me but no Liverpool fan I've come across has been as cunty as expected. Quite classy actually and thought whilst the match was shit, we were probably better on the night.

Hopefully we can follow their suit and spend big money this summer and go on to win something next year.

They are much more solid at the back, and they have much better production off their fullbacks (23 assists from 2 fullbacks is insane).

Their midfield is a bit workmanlike, but are (when they need to be) a pressing machine and have a lot of interchangeable role players in there, which means they can pretty much always play the same way. It’s a lot harder to see how they can improve than how Spurs can.

Spurs needs upgrades at right back at least (if Rose’s form can continue), a couple of midfielders (Dier has been disappointing) and capable backup for Harry Kane (who is looking a little too injury prone).

I think it's closer than that - we barely played our best XI all season! - but props for being 'open' enough to quantify your opinion.

They play a different way to us so I think player for player comparisons are a bit of a red-herring.

Fascinating season ahead; especially if we manage to recruit well in key areas.

Nah not for me sorry. We're about even at the moment.

As has been pointed out, on top of the injuries and fortunate decisions, they went out of the cups domestically very early.

Unfortunately this season the pendulum swung to the fortunate side for them while it swung the opposite way for us. This gave the impression they are miles ahead of us when they aren't.

Brilliant season from them but they aren't all that.

Nah not for me sorry. We're about even at the moment.

As has been pointed out, on top of the injuries and fortunate decisions, they went out of the cups domestically very early.

Unfortunately this season the pendulum swung to the fortunate side for them while it swung the opposite way for us. This gave the impression they are miles ahead of us when they aren't.

Brilliant season from them but they aren't all that.
According to plopp on the telly news they are the right age for world domination? And it’s gonna be exciting times.......
OaJJguN.jpg

I fucking hate these cheating bin dippers cunts. Fuck their respect and fuck their club I don’t give a shit about their fake commiserations. Had they lost the final I am sure they would have roared on Twitter about this decision and that decision and opened petitions. Fuck Liverpool and fuck their fans I hope this is the last time I see that fake teethed nazi cunt manager win anything
I reckon you're holding back mate. Don't be shy, you're among friends. Say what you really feel. We won't mind.

We had a tough season in terms of inuries, fixture conjestion and more... 20 point gap is a distortion of the true gap.

We've been a match for them 3 times this season and got 4 points out of them the season before.
We lost all three games this season against them and last season means nothing. What point are you making?

We lost all three games this season against them and last season means nothing. What point are you making?
Only at Wembley they were the better team (and we had to start 6 or 7 players who were still knackered after a very busy summer), the other 2 matches could've gone either way, it would've been more worrying if they had outplayed us 3 times.

Last edited:
Only at Wembley they were the better team (and we had to start 6 or 7 players who were still knackered after a very busy summer), the other 2 matches could've gone either way, it would've been more worrying if they had outplayed us 3 times.
That we're a lot 'closer' to them than that gap suggests (See above).

The only thing that matters is the final result, all the rest of it is tinsel and window dressing.

They have beaten us three times this season.

The only thing that matters is the final result, all the rest of it is tinsel and window dressing.

They have beaten us three times this season.

My view on the 26point gap has very little to do with last night's result.

Back
Top Bottom