Club statement about transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry but that is total bullshit. Poch said numerous times they needed to add another striker AFTER we bought Son and N'Jie. So we didn't get Berahino who was clearly the main target and overpriced, however you are telling me there was not one (1) other striker, forward whatever that Poch liked in the entire fucking world? All of our black box and scouting team apparently couldn't uncover more than 1 striking option that would suit us and Poch? Sorry this is apologetic bullshit of the highest order that I am not eating up.

Anthony Martial was our target before berahino. We also looked at pato. Those are three choices. You asked for one alternative to SB. I gave you two.

The following is fair comment. "Much has been said about us only having one recognised striker in Harry - I don’t accept this at all - the positional play of today’s forwards means it’s too simplistic to look for goals from any one position - playing a fluid style means players switch"

I totally agree with this.

I wish people would stop this number 9 nonsense.
Modern football has eroded the number 9 position. Players up front are required to have pace, mobility and skill, to understand the game plan, be interactive not just a focal point up front. Need to be able to play wide as well as inside. forward and deep. (play in triangles) The restriction labeled on Kane 'playing number 9' could be his and the clubs undoing, it creates predicability and an unnecessary pressure for him to achieve in this restricting role. He needs to be in the pool of players that are forwards, forwards that are adaptable to each game as necessary and it will allow him to develop his game without restrictions. You can never have too many forwards and we missed out on a good one in Berahino. If a players wants to leave, you do the right thing and allow this to happen. WBA are out of order here to block it, not THFC. No player is bigger than the club so we will march on regardless.

Anthony Martial was our target before berahino. We also looked at pato. Those are three choices. You asked for one alternative to SB. I gave you two.

Ok one striker who we could GET in the entire fucking world? Martial pursuit was done months ago when we were priced out. Pato was clearly a long shot desperation time signing. WBA made it clear they were not budging on Berahino. Yet clearly outside of Berahino we pursued next to nothing in the last few weeks. Come on we aren't Millwall we can't find a decent striker option anywhere int he worlkd we can get for £10-20m?

Are you not critical of anything our club has done this window? Just curious.

Ok one striker who we could GET in the entire fucking world? Martial pursuit was done months ago when we were priced out. Pato was clearly a long shot desperation time signing. WBA made it clear they were not budging on Berahino. Yet clearly outside of Berahino we pursued next to nothing in the last few weeks. Come on we aren't Millwall we can't find a decent striker option anywhere int he worlkd we can get for £10-20m?

Are you not critical of anything our club has done this window? Just curious.
I don't think we were in for Pato. His agents said we were, but they also linked other clubs.

We were in for Martial, Son, N'Jie, Batshuayi, Werner and Berahino during the course of the summer. Got 2 of them. Are all of them players who have experience as a centre forward? No. But they all were forwards who could play either wide or up front, and have a lot of pace. I think that was the criteria. Berahino was the last acceptable target on our list that we either hadn't signed or been clearly rejected from. So we just kept pounding on that door.

Pochettino has been clear that he wants only the exact players he asks for, and won't play substitutes. We went for only players he wanted, and did not pursue substitutes.

That comes with the risk of getting nothing. He knew that, Levy knew that. Now we see if that approach is going to work out or not.

Glad we're not buying players for the sake of it and appear to have some sort healthy dialogue between manager and chairman.

However, this statement doesn't really address the fact that the club clearly knew it needed a striker and failed to sign one. That's the real issue here.

I believe the statement expresses the will of the club. To sign players needed by our coach to achieve his objectives. Im also glad to see the club will not buy fodder to appease the supporters, only players that Poch needs.
We did fall short in not getting another forward. Why does Levy need to labour this point?

Last edited:
I don't think we were in for Pato. His agents said we were, but they also linked other clubs.

We were in for Martial, Son, N'Jie, Batshuayi, Werner and Berahino during the course of the summer. Got 2 of them. Are all of them players who have experience as a centre forward? No. But they all were forwards who could play either wide or up front, and have a lot of pace. I think that was the criteria. Berahino was the last acceptable target on our list that we either hadn't signed or been clearly rejected from. So we just kept pounding on that door.

Pochettino has been clear that he wants only the exact players he asks for, and won't play substitutes. We went for only players he wanted, and did not pursue substitutes.

That comes with the risk of getting nothing. He knew that, Levy knew that. Now we see if that approach is going to work out or not.

Fair enough we will see if it works out. My main point though is we still had weeks left in the window when Poch said we were actively looking for another striker (specifically he said that numerous times and that we would be bringing someone in) So to end up coming off with egg on your face and then saying it was part of the plan after all is nonsense.

Frankly, I am tired of discussing the end of our transfer window because it is all water under the bridge now. We did do some very good things this transfer window it was not a disaster by any stretch. However, we handled some things poorly in particular our pursuit of cover for Kane.

Not singling you out but some on here seem to defend EVERYTHING the club does. There has been more good than bad for the most part the last decade. However, there have been a number of mistakes made as well. We wouldn't have been through 3 managers and over a dozen players in the last few years if everything we did was perfect..

We (not you specifically) moan we have a Chairman that hides in his office and doesn't pick up the phone. Then he releases a statement and we (again not you specifically) moan about the contents of said statement.
Probably because Levy only releases these bullshit statements on our website when he knows that transfers or the managerial situation hasn't gone to plan. In other words it's a face saving PR move designed to defend him and placate the fans. Anyone who thinks this is him "listening" to the THST and trying to be more transparent is frankly a gullible bloody fool. Folks need to see the wood for the trees.

Last edited:
What this boils down to is simple. The club knew they had to strengthen in certain positions and didn't make it happen with some of them. They are saying hey sorry we tried... For some that is good enough for others inlcuding myself it isn't.

In any event no sense in even arguing about this anymore. All we can do as supporters is support the club now and get behind the current players and Poch and hope being left short in a few areas doesn't come back to haunt us.

Probably because Levy only releases these bullshit statements on our website when he knows that transfers or the managerial situation hasn't gone to plan. In other words it's a face saving PR movie designed to defend him and placate the fans. Anyone who thinks this is him "listening" to the THST and trying to be more transparent is frankly a gullible bloody fool. Folks need to see the wood for the trees.
I would disagree. He doesn't need to say anything. For all we know, Poch said get Berahino if you can, but if not don't worry I'm happy with my options. We have no idea. He needn't release a statement. Maybe by doing so it makes people think he feels he's let us down - but that's simply an assumption on our part.

Maybe I am a fool. But that remains to be seen over the next few months as to how the players we have are utilised.

Fair enough we will see if it works out. My main point though is we still had weeks left in the window when Poch said we were actively looking for another striker (specifically he said that numerous times and that we would be bringing someone in) So to end up coming off with egg on your face and then saying it was part of the plan after all is nonsense.

Frankly, I am tired of discussing the end of our transfer window because it is all water under the bridge now. We did do some very good things this transfer window it was not a disaster by any stretch. However, we handled some things poorly in particular our pursuit of cover for Kane.

Not singling you out but some on here seem to defend EVERYTHING the club does. There has been more good than bad for the most part the last decade. However, there have been a number of mistakes made as well. We wouldn't have been through 3 managers and over a dozen players in the last few years if everything we did was perfect..
That's all quite true, and I think that there's a very valid criticism of Levy/ENIC about their inability to stick to long term plans.

I think the lack of a DM is a bigger crime than the lack of an explicit striker, given the way Pochettino's been playing. But as you said, it's all water under the bridge. Back to the football.

The Berahino sage was game of brinkmanship - trouble is nobody blinked before the window closed. They say we offered only 5 million up front and we say we offered 25 million in full - I guess none of us will ever know what really happened. Personally I don't think Berahino was worth more than 20 million although I think he would have been a suitable 'front man' in the absence of Kane, but leaving your final bid until the last day does rather indicate you were trying to twist the sellers arm into giving you the goods at a price they weren't prepared to sell, especially when you know those goods desperately wanted you to buy them.

I would disagree. He doesn't need to say anything. For all we know, Poch said get Berahino if you can, but if not don't worry I'm happy with my options. We have no idea. He needn't release a statement. Maybe by doing so it makes people think he feels he's let us down - but that's simply an assumption on our part.

Maybe I am a fool. But that remains to be seen over the next few months as to how the players we have are utilised.

Well levy obviously felt the need to explain or clarify what happened probably because a lot of people were bemused by parts of the window.

The following is fair comment. "Much has been said about us only having one recognised striker in Harry - I don’t accept this at all - the positional play of today’s forwards means it’s too simplistic to look for goals from any one position - playing a fluid style means players switch"

I totally agree with this.

I wish people would stop this number 9 nonsense.
Modern football has eroded the number 9 position. Players up front are required to have pace, mobility and skill, to understand the game plan, be interactive not just a focal point up front. Need to be able to play wide as well as inside. forward and deep. (play in triangles) The restriction labeled on Kane 'playing number 9' could be his and the clubs undoing, it creates predicability and an unnecessary pressure for him to achieve in this restricting role. He needs to be in the pool of players that are forwards, forwards that are adaptable to each game as necessary and it will allow him to develop his game without restrictions. You can never have too many forwards and we missed out on a good one in Berahino. If a players wants to leave, you do the right thing and allow this to happen. WBA are out of order here to block it, not THFC. No player is bigger than the club so we will march on regardless.

Mate this sounds just like when some deluded gooners say they can win the league with Giroud so long as Welbeck/Walcott/Ramsey/Sanchez all chip in.

A striker is a key position (in this league arguably the most important along with CM). It was the difference between Pool challenging for the league and then battling for Europa spots. Our other options might be able to do a good job there but we shouldn't be taking that risk.

l will most certainly get behind Poch/the team, but it would be outrageous imo to say Levy hasn't dealt Poch a shit hand.

Mate this sounds just like when some deluded gooners say they can win the league with Giroud so long as Welbeck/Walcott/Ramsey/Sanchez all chip in.

A striker is a key position (in this league arguably the most important along with CM). It was the difference between Pool challenging for the league and then battling for Europa spots. Our other options might be able to do a good job there but we shouldn't be taking that risk.

l will most certainly get behind Poch/the team, but it would be outrageous imo to say Levy hasn't dealt Poch a shit hand.
You missing the essence of my point. I guess you mean centre forward when you use the term 'striker' (what ever that is?)
There is no place in 'modern football' for a centre forward as we've know it. We would be better having, all round forwards which give us options and flexibility. Giving the forward position its narrow term, is restricting. Teams today do not have wingers making crosses with big burly CF casing havoc in the box. Kane wouldn't look pretty with a broken noise and teeth missing? We've come along way from that style of play. Kane is an all rounder and should be encouraged to progress in this manner rather than restrict him to play as a CF.
I honestly believe we are in good position with the players we have. We need other players to contribute to the goals. Bentaleb, Mason and Dembele, 4 between them last season- I think. its just not good enough.

IMO. If a player wants to leave, the club should honour that- WBA were out of order to block the move.
...and ..you may disagree but don't ever compare me to a deluded Gooner please.

Back
Top Bottom