Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This one doesn't pass the smell test. Eriksen was here the season before Poch came, and he played at a high level. Poch's pressing system has played to Eriksen's strengths, but he's a very good player with or without Poch.

I am also not at all sure that whoever we replace Eriksen with will have similar stats. Poch is an excellent manager but he can't transform every player who comes in into a world beater. We've still got the Janssens and Nkoudous, etc. For any professional player in the highest leagues, the number one driver in their development is themselves, not their coach.
I guess we will have to see his stats at his new club. He was performing at a high level before Poch but nothing like what he did after Poch changed the system etc and honed . Poch improves players that have natural ability and work ethic, it's well known that's one of his best qualities. Some players like Nkoudou and Janssen don't have the required ability to play at elite level so it's unfair to suggest Poch is to blame for not making them world beaters.

I agree the number one thing for a player's development is themselves but an elite coach can make them something else. Coaches like Mourinho do not make players better, he generally wants finished articles to implement his style and to the contrary Poch moulds them.

I guess we will have to see his stats at his new club. He was performing at a high level before Poch but nothing like what he did after Poch changed the system etc and honed . Poch improves players that have natural ability and work ethic, it's well known that's one of his best qualities. Some players like Nkoudou and Janssen don't have the required ability to play at elite level so it's unfair to suggest Poch is to blame for not making them world beaters.

I agree the number one thing for a player's development is themselves but an elite coach can make them something else. Coaches like Mourinho do not make players better, he generally wants finished articles to implement his style and to the contrary Poch moulds them.

How? Into what?

How would you define being Pochettinoed???

It's a bit of a tautology to suggest that the players that didn't make it under Poch just didn't have the ability, while the ones who did were because of his influence.

I think it's very hard to pinpoint any Poch influence with Eriksen. He has really only gotten very modestly better since his first season, and it's what one would expect as a player of 21/22 matures into a player of 27. Suggesting that his performances were "nothing like" what they were after Poch just isn't true. Have a look at the whoscored data, which I realize doesn't tell the whole story, but I remember Eriksen in his first year and subsequent years, and there's just no miraculous improvement there. Christian Eriksen - History

I'm not saying I disagree that some players have really thrived under Poch's leadership. Danny Rose certainly comes to mind as an example of a player who has. But I don't think Eriksen is a particularly good example. Eriksen is going to be just fine no matter who he plays for, as long as he gets sufficient playing time and the manager doesn't ask him to tackle. :)

Or perhaps his Denmark stats and performances?

I well remember the Ireland hattrick when he looked like the second coming of Ronaldo.

You are wrong. No way we would not play him in that scenario. That would be hugely self defeating.
In some ways yes but if Eriksen as previously shown in regards contract talks they have affected his mind set and performance if this situation is not resolved and he’s with us next season and no new contract signed that’s fully a season with the possibility of him underperforming that’s no use to us.....or him! So why play him if that’s the scenario we can’t carry someone even him in the hope he might, just might turn a game!

In some ways yes but if Eriksen as previously shown in regards contract talks they have affected his mind set and performance if this situation is not resolved and he’s with us next season and no new contract signed that’s fully a season with the possibility of him underperforming that’s no use to us.....or him! So why play him if that’s the scenario we can’t carry someone even him in the hope he might, just might turn a game!

Being simple because no one in our squad does or can do what Eriksen provides.

He won't renew contract. He will leave for free next season screwing the club over.

Why is he screwing the club over?

He said he wants to leave. He’s under contract right now.
Levy wants £80m supposedly to sell this summer.
So how can Eriksen control that situation??

Daniel Levy ultimately is negotiating what he feel is the best deal for the club.

If he decides better to keep him for 1 season rather then sell for say £40m whose fault is that??

A bit of an overreaction towards Eriksens comments imo.

The lad was asked about his future by a Danish journo, and all he said was, “I feel the time is mature for tryingsomething new, but I have the deepest respect for Tottenham, and it would not be a bad thing to stay.

Now he has fucked over the club and can piss off... 😂

All he has ever done for the club is somehow erased, kid has been a great servant.

And we have no fucking clue what is going on behind closed doors, if offers have been received, if Eriksen was ok with a new deal, but Levy was being cheap.

Completely agree with Silvertown on this one, his (Eriksen's) comments were quite sensible in that interview and have been blown completely out of proportion,

He has been here for quite a while and wouldn't be opposed to a new adventure elsewhere, he followed that by expressing how much respect he has fo the club yada yada..

There are plenty of people in regular jobs who look for a fresh challenge after a while, not everybody is wired to stay in the same place do the same thing for huge stretches of their careers, myself included!

He won't renew contract. He will leave for free next season screwing the club over.

How is that screwing the club over ?!?? He’s completely entitled to not sign a new contract.

Are we screwing Michel Vorm over by NOT offering him a new contract ?

The whole point of a contract is that they run down after a set amount of time ...

Last edited:
Why is he screwing the club over?

He said he wants to leave. He’s under contract right now.
Levy wants £80m supposedly to sell this summer.
So how can Eriksen control that situation??

Daniel Levy ultimately is negotiating what he feel is the best deal for the club.

If he decides better to keep him for 1 season rather then sell for say £40m whose fault is that??
Hope it’s not a “downs tool” scenario where Poch will have to bench him

Back
Top Bottom