Chelsea vs Barça

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The last time it happened, didn't we have 5 teams in Europe? That was before the rules were written of course, because i'm pretty sure Everton got knocked out to Villarreal(?) whilst Liverpool went straight into the group stages.

The rules say they 'take the place of' the team that would otherwise qualify, so i'd presume they'd go into the round we did vs. Young Boys.

No Everton shit out altogether and demoted to Europa iirc.

Let's all change the rules because Liverpool bitch an moan.

An exception was made for Everton because no rule was in place when Liverpool won it. That's what started the debate. But once the rule was in place, any season thereafter would result in 4th place losing out.

And, yes, Everton bummed out during the play offs.

How long before it's acceptable to start a "would you prefer to come fourth and get Europa League, or sixth and do without the hassle" thread?

Personally speaking, I don't agree with the rule. I was saying this back when Everton made foruth, not because of our issues this year. To me, you get into the CL bu being one of the best teams in your country. It's not by getting through a knock out competition. Knock out competitions are nowhere near as good and indicator of how skilled a side is.

If you win the CL the money and the glory should be sufficient reward. You have, after all, just won Europe's top competition. But the following year should be for teams who have shown they are good enough to get in. Winning the competition but finishing in, say, 8th, says to me you are not one of the top teams in your country.

If any place is to be lost amongst the top for then I think there is a stronger case for the winner of the Europa getting a CL place, rather that automatic re-entry for CL winners. But, even then, I still think that the merits or your league finish should be the one and only deciding factor.

Agree with the logic of your argument but something in me just likes the idea of the winners being allowed to defend their title the following year. In the WC for example, I find it a little weird/sad that the winners no longer qualify automatically.

But I definitely like the idea of the winners of the Europa getting a CL place, as long as they do away with that ridiculous nonsense of teams dropping into the competition who were too shit in the CL group stages. Think it could definitely revitalise a competition which was once highly prized and tougher to win than the European Cup.

I hear what you're saying, Salmon, but take a step back and look at the big picture. The competition is called the Champions League. Suggesting that 4th place in a domestic league should outrank the actual European club champion is incongruous.

WilsonJet said:
I hear what you're saying, Salmon, but take a step back and look at the big picture. The competition is called the Champions League. Suggesting that 4th place in a domestic league should outrank the actual European club champion is incongruous.
I would agree with you IF the CL were an actual league. But it's not, it's a knock out cup competition. So it's not a direct indicator of who is the best club in Europe. For example, if you follow the logic of your post then thus far Chelsea are a better club then Barca, be we know that's not the case and if the CL were an actual league Barac would be miles ahead of them on points.

S.L.R said:
How long before it's acceptable to start a "would you prefer to come fourth and get Europa League, or sixth and do without the hassle" thread?

We are in the Europa guaranteed already.

The top 6 are in europe now as the FA Cup Europa slot can only go to Chelsea or back in to the league should they win the CL....

Blanchflower said:
S.L.R said:

We are in the Europa guaranteed already.

The top 6 are in europe now as the FA Cup Europa slot can only go to Chelsea or back in to the league should they win the CL....

Nope, we could slip to 7th......

Smoked Salmon said:
S.L.R said:
Surely the answer to that is already obvious?

If we don't get CL, I would still want EL, although I understand why majority wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom