Charlie Sayers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

CharlieSAYERS​

Born: 29 March 2004 (Southend, England)

Charlie Sayers​

Defender Charlie Sayers joined our Academy from Southend United in December, 2021.
Able to operate as either a centre-back or left-back, the teenager made six first team appearances for Southend in the National League during the opening few months of the 2021/22 season.
A former pupil at Beauchamps High School in Essex, he played for Billericay Town between the Under-13 and Under-15 age categories before representing Bowers & Pitsea in his Under-16 year, where he played up in their Under-18 and Under-23 sides.

Charlie Sayers will 'make it' as a Tottenham star after what I've seen​

Charlie Sayers will “make it” at Tottenham and could be given a first senior loan this summer.

That is according to Spurs insider John Wenham, who regularly breaks news about the club on his Lilywhite Rose social media channels.
As per club images, shared by Wenham, Sayers trained with the Spurs first team during the week starting 9 May.

This comes after the 18-year-old signed his first professional deal with Tottenham on 30 March.

Promotion to first-team training is yet another feather in the cap of the youngster who only moved to the club from Southend in December.

Wenham has been blown away by Sayers’ rise through the ranks at Spurs and claims he is ready for a loan move.

“This is really rapid progress,” Wenham told Football Insider correspondent Ben Wild.

“We are talking about someone who was on the bench at Southend. He’s come in at Tottenham and in the first game he played he was Under 18s captain.

“After three games he was moved up to the Under 23s. Then he signs his first professional deal which, in fairness, was probably a formality when he joined.

“He’s trained up with the first team now and I’ve seen a great image of him battling with Heung-Min Son
, it’s a meteoric rise through the ranks.

“I think he is more likely one of the ones who will make it at Tottenham. He is also one who I would put out on loan next season.

“I think he is ready and I would even send him back to Southend to have a full season of men’s football.

“I don’t see that as a step back at all. Going back there after training with the likes of Ben Davies and Sergio Reguilon will make such a difference.”

He's certainly a decent prospect - but so far he's played ,mens football at National League (ie lower than L2) Southend - and being able to cover LWB and LCB is useful versatility.

A decent loan next season for him would probably be in League 1 - not sure he has enough experience to get enough game time at a Championship club.

So realistically it could be 2 years before he troubles Spurs first team coaches - although he might well appear in this summer and/or next summer pre-seasons. But whilst pre-season means a step up in recognition, its just part of the path to the first team as demonstrated by Harvey White playing in his first pre-season aged 16 (he's now aged 20) and Skipp I think was 17 when he was first involved in pre-season (he's now 21 and 22 in September).

SI probs right but I am really looking forward to pre-season and seeing some of the guys who have been training with 1st team in actual games. Got a good feeling we will get a genuine 1st team prospect.

Back
Top Bottom