Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone still in denial that the EPL has the best strength in depth? That's four in the last eight, it would be great to see them all draw apart, and all win, just to show the EPL dominance ... that said let City and Utd take on Barc and Juve let's not push our luck.

Bring it on .... COYS
Top 6 is great. Rest of the league is shit comparing to money they have.

Anyone still in denial that the EPL has the best strength in depth? That's four in the last eight, it would be great to see them all draw apart, and all win, just to show the EPL dominance ... that said let City and Utd take on Barc and Juve let's not push our luck.

Bring it on .... COYS
This season maybe...Previous few seasons

2017-18 had 2 English teams in the quarters
2016-17 had 1
2015-16 had 1
2014-15 had zero

Top 6 is great. Rest of the league is shit comparing to money they have.

http://globalsportssalaries.com/GSSS 2018.pdf

Page 12 gives the example of West Ham being similar in quality to Girona. Girona's average team pay is £0.7m, West Ham's is £3.2m, just shy of 5 times more for a squad of similar potential and output. Many poorly run clubs in this country but the importance of staying in the Premier League due to £££ makes so many react and be at the mercy of others when it comes to fees, wages etc

We are all staying at yours if we draw Porto. You do know that, right?

I often hand out "Funny's" at semi good attempts at humour, but that one was well-deserved. Had me in stomach cramps laughing. Or maybe it was just a bi product of being sick to my stomach after coming straight here from the Brexit thread :eriksenserious:

Either way, hats off sir :dembelelol:

Spurs / Porto vs Ajax/ Liverpool

Man U/ City vs Barcelona/ Juventus

For me that's the easiest route to the final, I'd love to see this come out on Friday. I'd rather see Man U get drawn against Ajax and have either one of them in the semis but with Man U being a top 4 contender and with the prospect of 5th & 6th getting European cup wins and knocking 4th place in the league out of the Champions League for next season I don't want to take any chances with them

Do we want to be drawn away or at home, first?

Personally I'd prefer home first. Anything from here on in in this competition is a bonus and I'd hate to see our first European game under the lights at the new place done before it's even started if we get a tonking away somewhere like Juve or Barca etc.

Usually I'd prefer home the return leg, but this season I'd rather we go into the new place with a buzz I think it'll make a great impact on the players during this little slump

Wow how bad is the Bundesliga, liverpool just schooled Bayern, Man City mentally scarred FC Schalke for next 10 years and Spurs slapped the piss out of Dortmund!

There's a reason youngsters get more of an opportunity in that league. Really it's so much better for them to go over there and grow their big team mentality before coming back to a proper league.

I'm sure Sancho is a great player but over the 2 legs I saw of him he was pretty so so, no way he's a £100m player

Personally I'd prefer home first. Anything from here on in in this competition is a bonus and I'd hate to see our first European game under the lights at the new place done before it's even started if we get a tonking away somewhere like Juve or Barca etc.

Usually I'd prefer home the return leg, but this season I'd rather we go into the new place with a buzz I think it'll make a great impact on the players during this little slump
Good point, I just think if we play like we played at Dortmund, and playing the second leg at home knowing what we have to do, will give us a better chance.

There's a reason youngsters get more of an opportunity in that league. Really it's so much better for them to go over there and grow their big team mentality before coming back to a proper league.

I'm sure Sancho is a great player but over the 2 legs I saw of him he was pretty so so, no way he's a £100m player

any young english player that manages to get a cross onto the head of this teams striker who then heads in a goal automatically is called £100 million pound player pure hype from media!

I like home first ... if you are the away side first you tend to play with a bit of caution whereas if you are away second you already know exactly what you need to do ... results are broadly the same (last round four home first winners v four away first winners) but of the four away games first that lost Real, Bayern, PSG, Dortmund all were undone by teams knowing just what they needed to do in the second away leg ... let's go home first and then a 'classic' away day to follow.

any young english player that manages to get a cross onto the head of this teams striker who then heads in a goal automatically is called £100 million pound player pure hype from media!

Agreed, any when we as a club don't spend what the media hype is saying he's worth we are seen as stingy. People were moaning about why we didn't pay £50m for Malcom when, 6 months later he signed for Barcelona for a rumoured £36.5m. There's being stingy and there's knowing a players worth and not pulling your pants down over it.

57% chance of drawing a non-English side.

I think I'd want to be away first. Try and get that away goal and go into the second leg with that huge atmosphere at our new ground behind us.

Would definetely take Porto, Man United, Liverpool or even Juventus. Do not want Ajax because of the good relantionship our clubs have and a Champions League tie will most likely ruin that, and do not want City or Barca because we simply can not beat them right now. As for home or away first, definetely would like if we played home first. The croud would be on fire and it would be more likely for us to kill the tie in the first leg.

Back
Top Bottom