Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For one of my my 50th birthday treats, I went to Barcelona with a couple of girl friends. They are not into football, but they agreed to do the stadium tour with me. There was a mock up photo opportunity with Ronaldinho and they were getting the stadium ready for a CL game against Chelsea. As I took it all in, I so wanted to play Barca in the CL. It has taken 12 years for that wish to come to fruition and wild horses won't keep me away. Flights and hotel booked. Even if I don't get into the ground, it will be brilliant to be in whatever square our supporters will be meeting and I've always wanted to go back there.

For one of my my 50th birthday treats, I went to Barcelona with a couple of girl friends. They are not into football, but they agreed to do the stadium tour with me. There was a mock up photo opportunity with Ronaldinho and they were getting the stadium ready for a CL game against Chelsea. As I took it all in, I so wanted to play Barca in the CL. It has taken 12 years for that wish to come to fruition and wild horses won't keep me away. Flights and hotel booked. Even if I don't get into the ground, it will be brilliant to be in whatever square our supporters will be meeting and I've always wanted to go back there.
I hope you also get to see the game.

Dl55CzWUwAAtyPi.jpg:large

I've always wanted to see a Barca match, now is the perfect time. I was looking at getting a Barca vs Athletico ticket before the draw was made. Just going to wait for the tickets to be made available before booking flights.

I've always wanted to see a Barca match, now is the perfect time. I was looking at getting a Barca vs Athletico ticket before the draw was made. Just going to wait for the tickets to be made available before booking flights.

Would be a great mid week break I’m considering doing the same if my season ticket friend isn’t going. Love the city.

For all the anarchy of this forum you always post something which makes me smile.

Spaletti looks like he's found his balls and started a much better and stronger team today.

Beating Bologna 0-3.

I will probably go to see the Inter game at San Siro. A ticket for the away-section may be impossible to get, anyone know how the chances are to get one in the areas next to the away supporters? Do Inter usually sell out these kind of games?

Who exactly are they alleging was benefitting from those "fixed" CL draws?

If draw-fixing has ever taken place (and it wouldn’t necessarily surprise me), it would be for the benefit of the TV companies. Ensuring glamorous ties in the group stages, and therefore higher viewing figures.

I watched that video and I’d describe the ‘evidence’ as dubious at best, but it’s clear that the real power in football is held by the TV networks. After all, that’s where most of the money comes from.

I don't think draw-fixing for TV is really viable. Firstly, it would probably happen in the exact opposite way to what people expect and what's therefore been alleged. Having Madrid vs Leverkusen and United vs Lokomotiv Moscow nets more viewers than Madrid vs United and a drub match when you can make sure they're on at different times (which UEFA openly does). And when you're having 8 games at once anyway as they have in previous years it just makes little difference. Secondly though, if you were fixing it like that, it would become quite apparent to statisticians and analysts over time, so you'd have to do it only occasionally - at that point the risks of being caught just utterly outweigh the small rewards.

If there's any kind of fixing going on, it'd be a type of spot fixing - not trying to get any sort of ties in particular, but just a specific pairing somebody at UEFA then puts money on in a dodgy Asian betting market. Or at worst a bribe from some very rich yet not very good team in qualifying - but again only on the rare occasion lest it become obvious. But frankly I don't suspect that's happening either.

Back
Top Bottom