Cardiff

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Flav

The Fighting Cock
Just heard on SS that they are going to play in Red next season. They're hoping to exploit the Asian Market along with becoming more identifiable with Wales (being the capital city isn't enough apparently.)

RIP Football.

Newcastle used to play in red and white stripes.

Apparently the new owner is going to wipe their debt though, but I think they are selling their soul.

Cripps14 said:
Newcastle used to play in red and white stripes.

Apparently the new owner is going to wipe their debt though, but I think they are selling their soul.
Yep, it shows that the Premier League is about the only tier of football that is almost recession-proof.

Is the name being changed the Red Dragons or whatever was proposed also? I think Cardiff are playing a very dangerous game that could affect the rest of the leagues, for me it is encouraging foreign ownership that they could do what they wanted to the clubs to fit their own image. However anyone remember that Jimmy Hill is generally hailed a genius for changing Coventrys kit back to light blue and calling them the sky blues?

GodSaveTheKing said:
Is the name being changed the Red Dragons or whatever was proposed also? I think Cardiff are playing a very dangerous game that could affect the rest of the leagues, for me it is encouraging foreign ownership that they could do what they wanted to the clubs to fit their own image. However anyone remember that Jimmy Greaves is generally hailed a genius for changing Coventrys kit back to light blue and calling them the sky blues?
That's the biggest worry here, changing colours isn't a biggie but to completely change a club to fit their image is a very slippery slope.

If we changed our kits to Red, I think the riots of last August would be small fry in comparison to what would take place. :harrylol:

GodSaveTheKing said:
Is the name being changed the Red Dragons or whatever was proposed also? I think Cardiff are playing a very dangerous game that could affect the rest of the leagues, for me it is encouraging foreign ownership that they could do what they wanted to the clubs to fit their own image. However anyone remember that Jimmy Greaves is generally hailed a genius for changing Coventrys kit back to light blue and calling them the sky blues?

I don't know an awful lot about the history of Cov City but I assume you mean Jimmy Hill?!

Blanchflower said:
GodSaveTheKing said:

I don't know an awful lot about the history of Cov City but I assume you mean Jimmy Hill?!

Fixed. Brain fart, yes I meant Hill. Spurs on the mind and all that lol.

Thelonious said:
The reasoning is piss poor, however plenty of clubs have changed their kits over the years with no uproar.

Specific reasoning in this instance makes it unpalatable. Plus they're called the Bluebirds FFS. Blue to red is a massive shift.

Although really no team should ever change its home colour.

They've had the blue kit for 100 years. To me it's the same as Levy annoucing that we will be playing in red and white next year. If they had only jad it for a decade or two then fair enough, but a century? THe blue kits is now part of the pantheon of their club and for that reason alone this is a terrible idea.

Changing kits aren't uncommon, but changing from blue to red is fucked up. I think they're even going to change the badge and probably the nickname for the club.

I understand the reasoning behind it, living in Wales at the moment in my area in the past year it has changed from 75% Cardiff fans and 25% Swansea fans to 50/50 in the space of a year. Trying and pushing the Welsh identity is understandable but they have just completely undermined the history of the club, Swansea's away kit next year is the full Welsh flag treatment and that makes sense, rebranding the Bluebirds into something Wrexham tried 70 years ago is a little bit shit to say the least. Got so many friends with Cardiff tattoos as well that are a bit peeved to say the least. From a Cardiff fans perspective its all a bit of a mess, just highlights that in the beautiful game MONEY>soul :vdvcry:

The sentiment against modern football is growing. I'm hoping for some sort of revolution where the players cars are turned over or stolen, and the board are raped in the club car park. Or better still every premier league club eventually forms splinter clubs that fans can follow if they're fed up of getting fingered.

I feel for the Cardiff fans with this. It's like all history & tradition being wiped out overnight.

Also just heard an interview on the radio with a Cardiff fan. Aginst it, but understands the reasoning behind it. The Malysians have come in & started to wipe out the clubs debt. However, they are still having to pump in £1m a month just to keep the club afloat. It does beg the question, would you still want to play in blue & end up being in administration & possibly wound up shortly afterwards or would you rather try something that starts to sow the seeds of recovery? The Malaysians are trying to establish a brand & they think it will be easier with the club wearing red & being more welsh.

Flav said:
The sentiment against modern football is growing. I'm hoping for some sort of revolution where the players cars are turned over or stolen, and the board are raped in the club car park. Or better still every premier league club eventually forms splinter clubs that fans can follow if they're fed up of getting fingered.

I have a slightly different ideal where we scrap the plans for the 56,000 stadium and instead build 200,000....reduce ticket prices as much as feasibly possible, fill any unsold seats with local kids and just frighten the opposition with such a loud crowd that we win the league at a canter.

(Going away from Cardiff, but along the same lines)

British football is rotten. Owners don't care about the fans, when the cheapest season ticket is close to a grand that shows utter disrespect to those who should be seen as a vital part of any club. Instead it's about sponsors and the TV money.

It's for reasons like what's happening at Cardiff that your Tottenham Ultras project met with such support, because as fans we are feeling disillusioned with the way football is in the Premier League.

Clubs like St.Pauli and Union Berlin in Germany and UC Ceares in Spain are becoming ever more popular because they offer the fans what they want, which is raw emotion and excitement. While these teams may not be as successful on the pitch, their fans still love them because the clubs respect the fans.

Football should be seen as a sport, not a business, because you can't make money with it. Even the most successful teams on the pitch are operating at a loss, so might as well scale back the wages and expenses, which would reduce the ticket prices and bring the game back to the fans.

I want to be able to go to a game, stand, sing, swear, have fun and have a couple of beers all for less than £25. This shouldn't be a dream, this should be reality.

fatfish said:
I feel for the Cardiff fans with this. It's like all history & tradition being wiped out overnight.

Also just heard an interview on the radio with a Cardiff fan. Aginst it, but understands the reasoning behind it. The Malysians have come in & started to wipe out the clubs debt. However, they are still having to pump in £1m a month just to keep the club afloat. It does beg the question, would you still want to play in blue & end up being in administration & possibly wound up shortly afterwards or would you rather try something that starts to sow the seeds of recovery? The Malaysians are trying to establish a brand & they think it will be easier with the club wearing red & being more welsh.
Very good point though, we had the option of 'Red' or 'Portsmouth' so stuck in between a rock and a hard place really. Malaysia truly Asia.

Back
Top Bottom