Brighton & Hove Albion

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just to be clear...

Houghton Regis (small Bedfordshire town)

Scott-Aaron Houghton (ex-Spurs youth, now somewhere in the Football abyss)

Chris Hughton! (ex-Spurs legend, inexplicably currently unemployed unfortunately!)

Poor fucker has had a bad enough day alreday, without us getting his name wrong!

...and now we can all get on with our lives... and preparing for the CL Final!
How could you forget Ray Houghton? An ex-Liverpool player always ranks highest apparently.

Risky decision, its something that you see a lot in clubs that battle for relegation, after a while they start to want to play football and focus on trying winning more games in stead of battling to draws. This however implies a higher investment in attacking and creative players, but they are expensive and very sought after so that leaves you with the ones that aren't the true strong ones, and often they need a different type of management. They come with luggage, often a bit more flamboyant and so on.

This might work out, but this could go the Stoke way, where they added more ballers to the team with a different philosophy but ended up with a team of mercenaries and no soul.

How could you forget Ray Houghton? An ex-Liverpool player always ranks highest apparently.
You're right... I'll add him to the list:

Ray Houghton: ex-Liverpool and
Reg Varney lookalike!
REGCREDIT.jpg

1992-ray-houghton.jpg

At least Hughton's got a few weeks to find another job. I've heard a rumour there may be a vacancy in 19 days time.

Now we know where Poch is off to. The siren call of the English Mediterranean has proved too much for him again.

Last edited:
To be honest, I didn't understand Hughton's sacking too much. Yes, they were playing some boring football, but they were favourites to go down and he kept them up yet again, also helped by the fact that Fulham were nowhere near as good as people thought they would be. I haven't watched too much of Swansea, but, from all I've read, Graham Potter seems like a manager that plays some good football. For a team that is favourite to get relegated, usually nice football isn't the right direction to go, if you don't have talented players (Jukanovic proved that this year).

Makes you wonder who they will bring in that they think will improve on what Hughton did there. I think they may well come to regret showing CH the door.

The timing suggests this had been decided weeks in advance, regardless of if they were relegated or stayed up. All that changed was who’d they go after.

Booooooooooooooo!!!!

What kind of manager do you call that? ....Not one bit of silverware in a Spurs shirt as a player. :pochunimpressed:

(Seriously, I know - via ShutUpPatrik ShutUpPatrik - he's worked wonders with a tiny Swedish team, but 10th for a freshly relegated Swansea is nothing to write home about.)

Last edited:
I think he'll do well. 10th with Swans was pretty decent with the amount of players that were sold. Played good football too.

And what he achieved in Sweden was nothing short of miraculous.

Potter will be real good for Brighton if he is given time. If the board can remain from panicking if he has a rough start and he is allowed to establish himself and his philosophy it could pay off well for Brighton.

Interesting test for Potter this coming year. We’ll see how well he can evolve and rebuild the side. Forming one good team is one thing; building another can be quite another challenge as we know too well.

:pochcry: :avbcringe:

Back
Top Bottom