Breaking out of the ‘transition season’ cycle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"For the first time since the 2011/12 campaign, it can be confidently said that Spurs are not in a season of transition."

"Star players like Hugo Lloris, Christian Eriksen and Harry Kane have been at the club for a while and will be hungry for Champions League football, and may look elsewhere if Spurs can’t offer it to them for next season, which could in turn prompt yet another season of transition."

:llorishuh:

Every team is always in transition, or at least they should be aiming to be unless they won every trophy the previous season.
Agreed but the sentiment is that instead of a season where we prepare the team for next year, this season the focus seems to be on this year, this team and what we can achieve with it.Star players stayed put, new additions were made with an eye on a direct impact (and older players than we usually buy) in stead of growing them. We buy experience and impact and we evolve homegrown, that's different from what we normally did.

Obviously constant change to evolve is needed but for once that is aligned with short term ambitions and results.

Wouldn't want to heap expectation on this young side, especially competing in the squad punishing EL.
10 points is not a lot, especially for a squad like Chavs have.
It would be a major achievement for this squad to claim a CL spot and I would love it if we finished 4th.....but then Chavs could win the CL.
:levywtf:

It seems reasonable to me that, since we finished in 5th place during a season of transition, Poch would, at the very least, have a target of finishing in the top 4.
Not sure I agree with the inference that we would attain that goal by default.
That would mean we were just 'one season wonders'.
This is the problem with spending years in the wilderness...one doesn't believe in the potential for success when it arrives or, for that matter, the courage to recognise it.

Back
Top Bottom