Best combined British and Irish team of last 50 years?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me as a starter but not yet full in terms of players, would include the following:

Giggs
Bale
Keane
Gerrard
A. Cole
Jennings
Shearer... just
Gascoigne
Terry

Last edited:
I’ve gone for retro characters for entertainment value… and the night out afterwards.

Southall
Carr
McGrath
Hansen
Hughton
Keane
Gascoigne
Whiteside
Giggs
Hughes
Lineker (before he became a total c***)

Take that team on tour around Europe followed by 20,000 of our best-worst fans from that broad era.

Carnage.

:contekiss:

I could probably pick three or four teams from the last 50 years, with nothing between them. Here's a quick, decent eleven.

Pat Jennings
Danny McGrain
Paul McGrath
Rio Ferdinand
Stuart Pearce
Bryan Robson
Glenn Hoddle
Roy Keane
Gareth Bale
Kenny Dalglish
Harry Kane

That I have seen play in their pomp, which is only over 32 years for me,

Shilton
Parker King Walker Pearce
Beckham Scholes Gascoigne Bale
Le Tissier
Shearer

So many top players to leave out. Shearer got a last second nod over Rush.

I’ve gone for retro characters for entertainment value… and the night out afterwards.

Southall
Carr
McGrath
Hansen
Hughton
Keane
Gascoigne
Whiteside
Giggs
Hughes
Lineker (before he became a total c***)

Take that team on tour around Europe followed by 20,000 of our best-worst fans from that broad era.

Carnage.

:contekiss:
Dalglish walks into the side probably at Hughes expense

Shilton
Walker Hansen McGrath Cole
Gascoigne Keane
Bale Dalglish Rooney
Rush

Subs
Hoddle
Shearer
Barnes
Keegan
Kane
Scholes
Beckham

Left out Best as he was pretty much done by 72/73 when this starts.

Gr
Shilton
Walker Hansen McGrath Cole
Gascoigne Keane
Bale Dalglish Rooney
Rush

Subs
Hoddle
Shearer
Barnes
Keegan
Kane
Scholes
Beckham

Left out Best as he was pretty much done by 72/73 when this starts.
Great team, albeit I never saw why people thought Shilton was so great. Tactically astute, football brain, unathletic, slow.

His efforts against Germany at penalties during Italia 90 summed him up. Went the right way for every one. Didn’t get close to any of them. And he was out jumped by a 5ft Maradona 4 years earlier.

UK and Ireland haven’t actually produced a truly elite keeper for an age….perhaps since Banks

Gr

Great team, albeit I never saw why people thought Shilton was so great. Tactically astute, football brain, unathletic, slow.

His efforts against Germany at penalties during Italia 90 summed him up. Went the right way for every one. Didn’t get close to any of them. And he was out jumped by a 5ft Maradona.

UK and Ireland haven’t actually produced a truly elite keeper for an age….perhaps since Banks
Shilton was ridiculously good in the late 70's. Clough used to say he basically won Forest the league.

The problem with him was he was an arrogant cunt and Bobby Robson kept him in the England team for about 5 years longer than he should have been. He was past it by Mexico 86 and somehow he was still the England keeper by Italia 90.
I swear Bobby Robson would have picked Shilton, Robson and Butcher until they were in their 50's if they had all been able to keep playing.

Incredible how many people would leave out Paul Scholes, he is comfartably the best English midfielder after Bobby Charlton, an absolute genius footballer who was able to dictate matches like no other.

Back
Top Bottom