Bentley goes to FC Rostov on loan

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Blanchflower said:
ollieXcore said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SpursStatMan/status/243797069859528704[/tweet]

:levystare: :avbfacepalm: :dempsey: :baeshock: :sandro:

Not factually correct, every time he's been loaned out we will have got his wages off the bill and will have received a loan fee.

Indeed and with him signing a 6 year contract he really only has cost 2.5m a year in value. If we got some of that per year from Birmingham, West Ham and Rostov it's not as bad as it sounds, especially if we can sell him for 3-4m in January.

Burko said:
I think Dean Richards (RIP) was a worse signing than Rebrov.

The fact you wrote RIP is a massive hint as to why his footballing skill diminished so strangely and tragically. Come on man.

Rebrov was just in fact dogshit for us.

anyone read the article on soccernet where Bentley says he thinks he started being shut out at spurs after tipping the water over harry when we qualified for champs league?

what do you think of that? make sense? is harry that... old fashioned?

Andrew said:
anyone read the article on soccernet where Bentley says he thinks he started being shut out at spurs after tipping the water over harry when we qualified for champs league?

what do you think of that? make sense? is harry that... old fashioned?

I think he started getting shut out after he played a few good games after Christmas of 2008 into the new year, then reverted to flicks and backheels again. Way before we made 4th.

I think the fact that Bentley reportedly liked to be called "Becks" says alot.

This is from Aug 2009:

"He needs to lose this image that has grown around him in the last year or so and what's happened now doesn't help him," says Redknapp, who is preparing for the visit of Liverpool to White Hart Lane this afternoon. "He needs to lose that tag of 'he's another Beckham'. He's not Beckham, he's David Bentley. I'll be honest, the lads call him Becks and I don't think that helps him.

"I can see an awful lot the way he has modelled himself on Beckham, but he needs to be himself and develop his own personality with the way he plays football. He doesn't need to model himself on anyone.

"He needs good advice. Whoever looks after him – he's involved with him off the field as well – I think needs to be giving him good advice. He doesn't need to be involved in nightclubs in Spain or whatever. The advice he needs from a good agent is 'Concentrate on your football, David'."

With Aaron Lennon and even Kyle Naughton, the summer signing from Sheffield United, seemingly ahead of Bentley in the pecking order, Tottenham would consider an offer for him, although Redknapp insists that none had been forthcoming as yet. One of the obstacles to a potential transfer would be the club's desire to recoup their outlay. But Redknapp says that he has not ruled out rehabilitating Bentley.

"David's said that this has given him a wake-up call. That, maybe in a way, it's the best thing that's happened to him. But talk is cheap, so let's hope the penny drops with him," he says. "He needs to look at Luka Modric, who just gets on with his job."

Bentley's side of it:

Bentley was rated as one of the country's bright young prospects when he joined Tottenham from Blackburn in 2008 but after falling out of favour with Harry Redknapp, his career at White Hart Lane has rapidly diminished.

The 28-year-old, who has made 42 appearances in four years at Spurs and has not played for the club since November 2010, believes he has been unjustly portrayed as a troublemaker and is looking forward to doing his talking on the pitch on loan at FC Rostov.

He told the Daily Mirror: "I think there's a big stigma around me in England. The picture that Tottenham painted of me was so wrong.

"I've heard a lot of managers ringing players up and saying, 'I've heard he's trouble.' The players then tell me about it, but by then they had decided not to sign me.

"Someone had to be telling them that, because it's just not what I am like.

"It's time for a fresh start - get rid of those shackles and get away from England for a while to go to somewhere to be judged on what I can do on the pitch rather than something that's completely wrong about me."

Bentley admits to making mistakes in his career and says he regrets publicly declaring his desire to leave Blackburn ahead of his Spurs move.

He added: "I really regret leaving Blackburn the way I did. Coming out publicly saying I wanted to leave was a mistake. But so much has been said about me which is wrong."

Bentley believes his role in the infamous Champions League celebration, which saw several Spurs players tip a tub of water over Redknapp live on Sky Sports after securing a European place in May 2010, proved costly to his career.

He said: "It was all good natured. But he definitely didn't see it like that. It was a celebration and nothing more.

"That season, I'd played 20 games up until that point and we got into the Champions League. I'd started 15 games in a row and, even though I didn't start that game, we were just celebrating a brilliant achievement.

"He never said anything to my face about it - he didn't really ever say much to me at all - but I knew I was always up against it after that. I hardly got another look-in."

Cant believe this wide boy chancer is claiming he was frozen out for no reason

sammyspurs said:
Cant believe this wide boy chancer is claiming he was frozen out for no reason

Maybe there wasn't any room for TWO WIDE BOYS at the club while Harry was here!!!

As for losing Levy £23m+ on him or whatever it was, *THAT goal against ArseAnal was priceless in itself... so surely most of the original outlay was recouped in the one fleeting moment of brilliance... then again, THAT'S what Bentley probably felt about it too, and so didn't have to try hard ever ever again!

I think the dye was cast the moment he decided to dance around like a teenager behind that SSN reporter live on TV when he first signed... it's been downhill ever since! (*apart from the aforementioned fleeting moment of brilliance mentioned above!!)

"England was another thing that came tumbling down at Tottenham.

"I still believe I can play at that level but I've just got to be given the chance to play regularly again.

"I looked at the call-ups this week and felt I've still got a chance."

Bentley does not believe the abrupt downturn in his career was a result of the hype that surrounded him when he broke onto the international scene.

He said: "I don't think what happened was over hype or anything.

"I handled it, but suddenly the spotlight is on you. You've got to be able to handle it. I always felt I did."

:gallas:

Back
Top Bottom