Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s starting to look better and better getting used to the position now. I wonder if it’s an advantage for him after playing left back most of his career with him ball carrying and passing from centre back? One would assume it must help if that’s what you’ve been doing as a fullback all your life.

He’s starting to look better and better getting used to the position now. I wonder if it’s an advantage for him after playing left back most of his career with him ball carrying and passing from centre back? One would assume it must help if that’s what you’ve been doing as a fullback all your life.

You could see similar comfort in him carrying the ball out when things were going well under Conte...... He doesn't get a nose-bleed in the oppo half.

Seeing both him & Romero joining the attacks at various times v NC was Ange-ball as fuck.

Finally I've read the entire match thread and only one comment directly above has mentioned his passing.

Don't care what anyone says he has the best distribution out of any of our centre backs.

Watch him live and you notice it. Then compare him live to the others and it becomes quite apparent that his ball movement is far more effective.

It's not flash, but it's crisp and early so that the player receiving can get on the front foot and we can progress the move forward as a team better. He gets the ball away in 2 or 3 touches max.

Then you watch Romero and Royal take 6 touches and dither on it, by which time the opposition have setup into a defensive shape.

People don't realise how important it is to our style of play, yet it goes under the radar because you expect every pro player to be able to do it.

Finally I've read the entire match thread and only one comment directly above has mentioned his passing.

Don't care what anyone says he has the best distribution out of any of our centre backs.

Watch him live and you notice it. Then compare him live to the others and it becomes quite apparent that his ball movement is far more effective.

It's not flash, but it's crisp and early so that the player receiving can get on the front foot and we can progress the move forward as a team better. He gets the ball away in 2 or 3 touches max.

Then you watch Romero and Royal take 6 touches and dither on it, by which time the opposition have setup into a defensive shape.

People don't realise how important it is to our style of play, yet it goes under the radar because you expect every pro player to be able to do it.

Come on 😂

Not only is Romero the best passing centre back we have, he's arguably the best centre back in the entire league and breaking lines with his passing.

And I like Davies.

View: https://twitter.com/JacoCats/status/1734157794905923778?t=2toLmFLgVqCIzXd-_af70Q&s=19

Look at Romero in this video alone. And that was just one half against Newcastle. He does it every game. So important to the way we play out from the back.

Ben is an underrated player among our fans. He is not perfect but he’s mobile, he’s aggressive in the tackle and his passing is tidy. He tries to play forward as much as possible rather than turning in a circle or passing sideways. There’s a reason why every single manager he’s had has trusted him.

He’s the perfect backup CB who isn’t a superstar looking to usurp Micky or Cuti’s starting position. These are very valuable games he’s getting, knowing he belongs in this system, and how to best play it within his limitations

Billy Bob mate Billy Bob mate

Finally........

:davieshmm:

Also; bookmark this one for personal use:

JuTx5UN.md.png

I love Ben, as a footballer and as a person. Thoroughly decent and under appreciated by a lot of people. Because he's not an 'in-your-face' type of guy on or off the pitch, he can go under the radar, but I'm delighted that he's getting a bit of recognition now for his performances.
He's not world class but is an important part of the squad, and the way the game is now, we need capable players on the bench that can adapt to different positions.

Last edited:
Rare strange comment from Ange- pretty sure Ben has been a CB for Wales for 5-6 years- right?

LB
WB
LCB in a 3 >>> I think even a lot of his time with Wales was with a 3 too.

His time as a standard CB for us has been minimal over the years..... So either Ange means that or he just primarily sees him as a LB.

Last edited:
LB
WB
LCB in a 3 >>> I think even a lot of his time with Wales was with a 3 too.

His time as a standard CB for us has been minimal over the years..... So either Ange means that are just that he primarily sees him as a LB.
Hair splitting I’d say- LCB in a 3 is still a CB. In a back 4 you still have a LCB and RCB.

But who really cares- not a big deal. Give Ben the respect he deserves though!

Back
Top Bottom