Basel (A)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Friedel - 5

Walker - 8
Dawson - 8
Vertonghen - 6
Naughton - 5

Holtby - 7
Parker - 6
Dembele - 5
Sigurdsson - 7

Dempsey - 7
Adebayor - 6

Subs:
Carroll - 8
Huddlestone - 7
Assou-Ekotto - 6

Sorry, mate - must have watched a different player

The BAE, I saw had the body language of a person so couldn't give half a fuck, got beaten by his man every single time, comitted silly fouls around the box, misplaced passes and generally looked like he didn't want to be there

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree :thumbup:

Funny how we all see different things in a game. Guess without that, forums would be shit!

Friedel - 7

Walker - 9
Dawson - 9
Vertonghen - 9
Naughton - 7

Holtby - 8
Parker - 7
Dembele - 7
Sigurdsson - 8

Dempsey - 8
Adebayor - 7

Subs:
Carroll - 8
Huddlestone - 9
Assou-Ekotto - 8

Wrong. Vertonghen, Lloris, Dembele, Parker, Adebayor (even if you don't like him permanently, without his goals last season we'd have been fucked), Van Der Vaart, Caulker. Not to mention Friedel, Gallas, Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Kane, Holtby, and a host of youth players who may yet come good.

Our inactivity this January was much more costly than our "inactivity" the last 4 years.

Anyway today:

Friedel: 5.5

Walker: 9
Daws: 8.5
Vertonghen: 7.5
Naughton: 6.5

Parker: 6.5
Dembele: 5.5

Holtby: 7.5
Dempsey: 8
Siggy: 7

Ade: 6.5

Penalty miss aside, Ade should have squared for Sigurdsson in that break late on. I understand he may have been time wasting but can't risk pens with a clear goal opportunity. Many many individual mistakes today though, can't blame one player.

Wrong. Strikers.

You've found your scapegoat then......really hope you can't make the city game (same goes for anyone else planning boo our striker who clearly has confidence issues.....)

Not a bit of it, I certainly won't be booing ANYONE at the Man City game when I take up my position in the Park Lane end... I was merely pointing out the growing murmurs of discontent bordering on ambivalence when his name was read out at the Everton game, so gawd knows what he'll get next time round!
Anyway, it's alright for you, you're the grandson of arguably one of our greatest ever players, I've only got the forlorn hope that some of our players actually CARE about the fans like family members,,., and would bust a gut to give their all for us, simply cos we're fans of the club they play for, not 'cos they're ACTUALLY related!

I've never boo'ed a Spurs player. Ever! (or left early for that matter, but that's not what this was about!)
I'll be cheering and living every kick and dramatic moment until whatever happens in May actually happens.... Then, like most, I'll be skulking around all Summer, wondering how it all happened again, but then will be back again in August to watch it all happen again!

But booing won't be part of my vocal repertoire, believe me!

Friedel - 5.5

Walker - 8
Dawson - 8
Vertonghen - .5.5 (minus one for silly red card)
Naughton - 5

Holtby - 7
Parker - 5.5
Dembele - 5
Sigurdsson - 8 MOM for such a brilliant workrate and a persistent proactive attitude

Dempsey - 8 (played averagely but impressive workrate and 2 welltaken goals gives a +2)
Adebayor - 6

Subs:
Carroll - 7.5
Huddlestone - 6.5
Ekotto - 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was an average performance overall but several players showed a suprising workrate. 1st half performance absolutely forgetable, 2nd half improved things and extra time was despite the red card a testament to the kind of attitude I want to see Spurs display under pressure.

Areas for improvement (of which in particular the first is starting to worry me very much):

- Gameplan in the final third. We don't have one. Or the players do not know it. Either way it is very bad.
- Meaningful possession. We do not have a player who can control the tempo of our passing. Either we attack or we get attacked.
- The Parker/Dembélé axis: It seems to have collapsed completely vs. Basel. Action needed. Now. One idea would be to push up Dembélé to AMC and play Carroll (suprise performance of the match) or even Huddlestone as the deeper midfielder.
- Initiative. We do not display it. Only player thinking and acting proactively (and not just reacting to the oppositions attacking or their pressing) were Sigurdsson, and later on Carroll. If we play like this against City they will hit us with a tennis score of goals.

Penalty miss aside, Ade should have squared for Sigurdsson in that break late on. I understand he may have been time wasting but can't risk pens with a clear goal opportunity. Many many individual mistakes today though, can't blame one player.

He should, no questions.

However he had just gotten the ball before the centre circle, turned two players and run at two others, all while being chased by the former two, up to the opposition box, after having played an entire game as lone striker. I am not excusing him, just rationalising.

Still, obviously he should have played in Gylfi, the defenders had no awareness of GS coming in from the left. I had been as furious as Gylfi had I been playing in his shoes.

Back
Top Bottom