Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Louis XVI said:
The boy is magic. The look he gave Skrtel after he shoved him into the advertising boards was pure class.

He was born to play for Spurs.

forgot about that, they really are abunch of dirty cunts

Just some general thoughts...

His rolling around on the floor is more about protection after being clouted (see the Skrtel "tackle" last night) but the general diving is disappointing. Never like to see a Spurs player doing either but with the first it's understandable considering the treatment he gets game in and game out...just trying to draw the refs attention to it and get some "protection". The diving though...stop it. Please.

Those first 99 game stats v Ronaldo clearly prove that Bale is massively overrated as fans of every other club always tell me...

I think he'll leave next summer (2013) and go abroad. Sad, yes, but if he keeps playing the way he is and wins us some trophies over the next 18 months who really could complain? The lad has stated he'd like to play abroad at some point, the big Spanish clubs (leagues ahead of everyone else financially and on the field) will come in with silly money over the next two summers and ultimately we can't resist that, and nor will he. Sad, but true imho.

Just enjoying watching him continue to get better and better at the moment. it's scary to think how good he could be, and if he did stay for another 4-5 seasons what damage he'd cause in the Premier League. Developing an "edge" now as well. I like this.

Don't like him diving, but it's not a big problem with him.

I'm more worried about him getting injured - Skertl could've easily broken his leg yesterday. For that tackle, he should've been sent off. It was a far more dangerous tackle than the one that broke Eduardo's leg a few years back, for instance.

Bale will have to get used to players targeting him now he's showing his true potential. If opponents cross the line, I hope the refs don't bottle it like yesterday (he otherwise mostly had a good game, IMO).

Robbo said:

I'm more worried about him getting injured - Skertl could've easily broken his leg yesterday. For that tackle, he should've been sent off. It was a far more dangerous tackle than the one that broke Eduardo's leg a few years back, for instance.

No no... you're mistaken... the tackle that broke Eduardo's leg was ACTUALLY a crime against humanity, and I'm pretty sure after Wenger appealed, Martin Taylor was hanged for it after being sentenced to aggravated assault and attempted murder...

I distinctly remember having a day off work so we could pay our respects to Eduardo's leg... and I THINK The ArSunal started a campaign whereby Black armbands would be worn by ALL players and ALL supporters of EVERY league club in the World... SUCH was the tragedy of Eduardo's broken leg... Adebayor compared the shooting in Angola as a stroll in the park, compared to Eduardo's leg!
I can only assume Eduardo never walked again, let alone play football...

....oh, did he? Ah, well MAYBE it wasn't as fucking bad as Wenger and the conspiracy theorists at ArseAnal tried to make out at the time!! Jeeez, Christan Zeige nearly had to have his leg AMPUTATED... didn't hear us bleating about it... (though maybe that was 'cos it wasn't as a result of a tackle on the pitch!)

Man up and grow some... LIKE SCOTTY PARKER!

The difference between Bale and the others is that we won't support him diving whereas gooners/scousers always turn a blind eye to it.

Cut it out son, you don't need to do it.

1882 said:
Robbo said:

No no... you're mistaken... the tackle that broke Eduardo's leg was ACTUALLY a crime against humanity, and I'm pretty sure after Wenger appealed, Martin Taylor was hanged for it after being sentenced to aggravated assault and attempted murder...

I distinctly remember having a day off work so we could pay our respects to Eduardo's leg... and I THINK The ArSunal started a campaign whereby Black armbands would be worn by ALL players and ALL supporters of EVERY league club in the World... SUCH was the tragedy of Eduardo's broken leg... Adebayor compared the shooting in Angola as a stroll in the park, compared to Eduardo's leg!
I can only assume Eduardo never walked again, let alone play football...

....oh, did he? Ah, well MAYBE it wasn't as fucking bad as Wenger and the conspiracy theorists at ArseAnal tried to make out at the time!! Jeeez, Christan Zeige nearly had to have his leg AMPUTATED... didn't hear us bleating about it... (though maybe that was 'cos it wasn't as a result of a tackle on the pitch!)

Man up and grow some... LIKE SCOTTY PARKER!

I'm sensing that you feel a sense of injustice mate!
Mystic-Meg-001.jpg

Blanchflower said:
Bale isn't going to have a very long career imo - some of the tackles made on him are disgusting

he will the lads built like a tank

look at little Messi he gets the same treatment but more protection nowadays

the same will happen to Bale but Redknapp needs to start screaming bloody murder everytime he is targeted so it happens sooner

shit clubs like stoke and liverpoo will always try to kick the good football teams off the pitch if the ref lets them

1882 said:
Robbo said:

Eduardo whooooaa Eduardo whoooooaaaa
He had some silky skills but now he walks like Heather Mills
Eduardo Whoooaaaa!!!

loved that chant

MaynoothSpur said:
Didn't Krancjar play 25mins with a broken ankle? Or am I mistaken?

No, you're mistaken... none of that happened... UNLIKE EDUARDO'S LEG... which was broken to such an extent that no football should ever be played again... and if they MUST insist on resurrecting football, there there should forever be a minute's silence before each match, in honour of the horrific nature of the one and only injury that has ever happened in the history of football...

you bet there's an injustice!

WE HAD DARREN FUCKING ANDERTON at the club for nigh on 10 years!! THEN you know the meaning of injured! ...not to mention Willem Korsten!

...at least Eduardo's playing again!

Liked the discussion of Bale on the pod. I had a shit stream for Liverpool and couldn't see the dive enough to comment on it, but,

1. Bale had already been knocked into the advertising boards, and Adam closed his season last year. I think Bale is a bit skittish against Liverpool.

2. (which follows on) What if he doesn't dive, tries to step out, and does his knee? A dive can be self-preservation.

3. But don't come up looking for a foul, Gareth!

4. Dan makes this point on the pod, but I think it got a bit lost. There's a difference between diving on the touchline and trying to draw a penalty/free kick at the edge of the box. Bale so far, iirc, is not guilty of the latter.

Spurs star: I don’t dive, I’m just trying to save my career

Gareth Bale insists he is not a diver, arguing that evasive action is often needed to “get out of the way and save my career”. The Welshman has been booked for simulation twice this season and, having won a dubious penalty at Woolwich, earned his side another questionable spot-kick in last night’s FA Cup replay with Stevenage after a challenge from Mark Roberts.

After the game, Roberts said: “I thought he went down very easily. That’s football at the very highest level, they look for those things.”

Now Bale has had his own say on the issue: “It’s a bit annoying [when people say I dive] when you’ve got people flying in at you. It’s not really diving, you’re trying to get out of the way of the challenge,” he said.

“If you stand there, you’re going to get a whack. Sometimes it looks like you’re diving but if someone’s coming across you, I’d rather get out of the way than get hurt.

“I try not to get in the way of tackles and if people want to say I’m diving then they can, but I’m trying to get out of the way and save myself, to save my career. It’s football, it’s a contact sport, things do happen and you’ve got to try to be clever with it.

“People want to take you down and get you out of the game, and I suppose you can take it as a compliment. It’s not nice but I think it’s to be expected now.

“In a way they think that’s the only way they can stop you. They hit you, you get up and the best players get on with it and go at them again - until you’re actually really hurt!

“You get used to it, take it as a compliment and keep going at him. You think: “You can’t stop me and the only way you can is to foul me.” I’ve got a few people sent off by doing that this year.”

Bale missed Sunday’s defeat against Manchester United through illness, and he admits that he was struggling at the end of the first half during last night’s FA Cup tie.

“I haven’t done much training for the last 10 days,” he said. “I trained on Tuesday and that was the first time for a while because I’ve been ill and had a bit of a hamstring problem.

“My stomach wasn’t right and I felt a bit dizzy. I took something to settle it down at half-time and that made me feel a lot better. It was getting over the illness and the bug.

“I found it difficult in the first half to get into it, but I felt stronger as the game went on. It was good to get some running into my legs and hopefully I’ll kick on now.”

Nice read Thelonious, where was the article from? That was also the first time I'd read those Bale vs Ronaldo stats... might have to post that on facebook the next time he scores a nice goal :baletroll:

@benpearcespurs on twitter posted it

edit: ah, you were referring to the post a few pages back, not sure really. Bale isn't fit to tie Ronaldo's shoelaces in fairness.

Back
Top Bottom