Away to Villa - 13 March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting scenarios starting to happen. We have to do our best now until end of the season...starting with a spring back to form.. maybe another run of 6 games, 6 wins!

The title is not in our hands.. Benitez to do us a favour on Monday night? New manager syndrome? Make them safe by the last game of the season.. turrah Sunderland and Norwich?

i bet Guzan has the fucking game of his life on sunday just like that fabianski cunt and newcastle's rob elliot did when they played us, i think this game will be alot closer than most of you think. 1-3 Spurs with a late goal to wrap it up.

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Alderwiereld, Wimmer, Rose, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Alli, Eriksen, Kane][/formation]

Very confident of a good result, especially with Walker, Rose, Alli, Dier, Dembele, Lamela and Kane getting a full weeks rest. Our high pressure game and directness will cause them issues. Kane to get a couple.

Yes and put some pressure back on LC who play Mon.
...against Rafa's revitalised Geordies no less... I can only assume that if Football Cliche Law 18, Sub-section 82 applies, they'll be well up for impressing their new manager...

We had to 'cope' with Liverpool and the Klopp-wank-fest when he first arrived, (although we got a 0-0 and ruined Sky's party) but hopefully the Newcastle players :townhmm: (yes i'm looking at you) will put a shift in and stop Leicester in their tracks!!
:vertna::sonlol::pritchardeyes: awwww... who am I kidding?:pocheyes::pochrolleyes:

With Thursday's weak line-up and subsequent thrashing and also the bleakness of the upcoming game my heart's not really in this preview so expect a short, half-arsed, moody and not especially analytical one.

I made it quite clear in my last piece how poor I think Villa are and although it might seem mean to keep pushing the point it's going to be kinda hard to avoid when previewing our game against them. Villa are without any clear style or plan. They are a defensive, counter-attack side only because it is the default for a club in their position. In attack they have a capable target man in Gestede who struggles with the tempo of the league. They are otherwise reliant on directness and individualism from a series of players (Ayew, Sinclair, Gil) who are all basically Andros Townsend on a bad day. Apart from Adama Traorè who is Townsend on steroids. And I don't mean 'on steroids' in the pop vernacular of being an extreme or super version of Townsend I mean he literally looks and plays like Andros Townsend had a habitual addiction to anabolics.

Maybe it's unfair to say they don't have a clear style when I've probably watched less than 200 minutes worth of their games this season and can not bring myself to go back and watch some more in preparation for this piece - which I have done before for other teams. I did see they played a back 5 against City and according to various fantasy football and Villa fan sites (yeah, sorry) are likely to do it again. That does at least make a little sense, I've talked about our potential vulnerability to that system in the past. So here's how that apparently looks in claret in blue:

screen-shot-2016-03-11-at-22-52-27.png

Didn't even manage to change goalie to Guzan. Fucksake.

As already stated, and I'll try not to go on about this, we fielded the B-team on Thursday and will likely again for the home leg. Therefore this:

screen-shot-2016-03-11-at-22-55-56.png

Although I've written out our standard formation I think we may see more of a 433 or even, as we did against Swansea, Eriksen as the deep playmaker in the '2'. If Alli is injured/rested then it'll likely be Son or maybe Nacer; whoever, will effectively play as a forward.

As a result we will likely use our narrow front three to pin back all but their front two leaving time and space on the ball for Eriksen and Dembele to dictate the game.

screen-shot-2016-03-11-at-23-00-56.png

We can only really lose this game from a pre-game perspective. Winning is the absolute minimum. And even within that failing to win by two or more, failing to use the opportunity to show of some style, failing to have scored before half-time or failing to keep a clean sheet would all be some level disappointment.

Whatever, I'm bored now, in lieu of a proper preview feel free to ask some questions or pose some topics to me through whatever medium and I will attempt to provide a decent answer.
- @TTTactics

It's too easy to write sides off as "terrible". The only team I've seen which was truly terrible in the PL was Derby under Paul Jewell.
Villa still have some good players who might be thinking about putting in some performances from now until the end of the season to catch the attention of other PL sides before they go down. A potential...
Banana-Skin.jpg

Man Utd, West Ham and Woolwich all not competing in the league this weekend and Leicester don't play until Monday.

Massive oppertunity. Man City can put pressure on us with what you'd think would be a win away at Norwich. That would put them 2 points behind us and then they'll have a game in hand once we play Aston Villa.

But it's a good chance to go further ahead of Woolwich, West Ham and Man Utd. Especially with Man Utd being away at City next weekend and West Ham being away at Chelsea too.

Just had a look on VillaTalk. The most common prediction is 7-1 to us. I'm having a beer with my Villa mate Spindly tonight - they don't often play on Sunday, so he says he can enjoy Saturday night for a change. :dawsonlol:

City drawing is a bonus. We can go 7 points clear if we win, also puts pressure on Leicester and Woolwich going forward.

My best mate is a Villa fan, he reckons 4-0 Kane hat-trick.

-----------------------------------Lloris------------------------------------
Walker-------Alderweireld--------Wimmer---------------Rose
-------------------------------Dier--Dembele---------------------------
------Lamela-------------------Alli-----------------------Eriksen-----
---------------------------------Kane--------------------------------------

subs: Vorm, Davies, Trippier, Benteleb, Mason, Chadli, Son

Back
Top Bottom