AVB's way - and players clever enough to understand what he wants

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely. His service to the club should be regarded as legendary. My only concern is that Caulker should have gotten a lot more playing time this season. With Kaboul (hopefully) coming back, we're going to need more rotation (ding ding ding, I've just hit the magic word!) to keep everyone happy.

Well with Gallas being shipped out, I'm sure Caulker will get his time.
I'd have no fear about Kaboul either, because AVB seems more than willing to rotate his defense, and we get CL football there will be plenty of games for everyone!.

It's more than that.

His falling out with the team was largely due to his pushing Terry and Lampard to the fringes, who nevertheless were still largely relegated to the bench under Di Matteo and now Benitez.

It does look like Cahill has been a tidy player for them. I'm thrilled with Johnny Vertical, don't get me wrong, but from immediate appearances I am upset that we didn't push more strongly for him.

Oscar. Those cunts just gotta steal everyone out from under our noses.

Also, gained a lot of respect for Ivanovic over his muted reaction to the Suarez debacle. That guy is an animal; great utility player.

Every time I see Mata play I just think, what if AVB hadn't been able to sign him at Chelsea and signed him with us instead.

Imagine what he'd bring to the team

I love these threads where everyone tries to show how much they know about football tactics.

Everyone forgets to mention the most important tactic

"concede less goals than you score"

Patient build up, pressing, hard work rate, high defensive line(ish). Needs another "ball" player in midfield who can dominate games and a shit-hot striker for it to work well.

This is why games like Chelsea can seem so difficult - you've got no Sandro and Hudd as a distributed when you need Moussa. Which is why he was bringing Carroll on.

I think the main problem with AVB's tactic is that it requires a great deal of fitness from mobile and technically able players. When we have looked good, it's been one touch passing around the opponents before the ball goes into space. As an example of this not working - the left wing for all of the Southampton game. The ball would go out to Benoit on the left but the winger had already cut in, Bale was drifting and Adebayor was often his only out without going back.

Another factor in the tactics is Lloris - with his distribution and his willingness to act as a sweeper, we can play the high line. I maintain that Brad's feet being glued to the goal line were detrimental in the Europa league, much as I love the man.

Back
Top Bottom