AVB on Bale and PSG Offer

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone else bored of the whole "master vs apprentice" thing being spouted by every idiot in the media? Looks like this is the #narrative for the game on Saturday. Was always going to be this way as soon as Mourinho returned I suppose, but it's a bit of a disservice to AVB I think and it probably bugs him. The quotes above only serve to back this up.

David fucking James even says it on the BT Sport promo for their coverage of the match

Yeah, but that's going to get pretty annoying once you realise that Steve Clarke and Brendan Rogers are also 'proteges' of 'the Special One.'

By the 6th time this season we have the Master vs the Apprentice...

tumblr_lzx069A4wO1qi7deco2_400.gif

If he came out and kept saying he wanted to do a second year here, it would start to feel dodgy. This one comment? Take it at face value.

Still agree with Jimmy that he isn't a "dynasty" manager though

If I have learnt nothing else in all the years I have supported Spurs, is that we hardly ever hang onto managers for any length of time, so if AVB wants to stay beyond this current contract, guarantee the board will sack him!! I hope he stays for a good while, as I still believe that we need some continuity to get success.

If he came out and kept saying he wanted to do a second year here, it would start to feel dodgy. This one comment? Take it at face value.

Still agree with Jimmy that he isn't a "dynasty" manager though

That's what I am trying to remember and find.
I am pretty sure I heard AVB say that same thing before (i.e. wanted a second year).

Edit:
Thinking retrospectively, I think AVB said this around when it was publicly known that he rejected PSG / RM. It was the first time I actually realized that he wasn't a dynasty manager. I believed he talked about his other ambitions like that 'race-car rally' thing.

Anyway ... let's just hope these lines don't mean what some of us are thinking. :avbpray:

Last edited:
Anyone else bored of the whole "master vs apprentice" thing being spouted by every idiot in the media? Looks like this is the #narrative for the game on Saturday. Was always going to be this way as soon as Mourinho returned I suppose, but it's a bit of a disservice to AVB I think and it probably bugs him. The quotes above only serve to back this up.

David fucking James even says it on the BT Sport promo for their coverage of the match
Not really, it's just a tagline that the media will use to big up the game and draw in the viewers. And it's sort of true, because Mourinho was a European champion by the time Villas-Boas was making a name for himself at Chelsea - he must have learnt a lot from his compatriot.

I doubt AVB gets bugged by it, and a good self-motivator should use a deterrent as fuel for the fire anyhow.

I think it's a bit of a Catch 22 situation. If we do really well, AVB's stock will rise further and he may have his head turned and leave for a new challenge. Things go all pear-shaped and spursy, and AVB could be gone too. Que sera sera, let's enjoy this ride with AVB for as long as it lasts.

It plays on me that he should have uttered those words in my quote, because I read it to imply that his three-year contract had nothing to do with his decision to stay "a second year".

It plays on me that he should have uttered those words in my quote, because I read it to imply that his three-year contract had nothing to do with his decision to stay "a second year".
I think it would be fair to say 'contract length' means very little in modern football and offers no tangible indication of 'loyalty' - only used to determine selling value / compensation amount, imv.

Loyalty is long dead

It's a huge credit to how far the club has come that we are even considering the possibility of our manager leaving not by the sack but by being headhunted by another club. If, God forbid, it happens, I think it'd be the first time since Terry Neill in 76!

It is very rare now, especially on the continent, for a manager to stay in a role for more than 3 years regardless of how succesful he is.

I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if he's here beyond the end of next season, especially if this team begins to click...there are some big names who will be all over him once his reputation is fully restored! :klinsmann:

I can't believe the master and apprentice really get to play against each other! Can the apprentice really win? Obi-won beat Anakin... So judging only on that, i'm saying Chelsea burn us really, really badly... At least we get a new and cool voice and body suit...

Back
Top Bottom