Aston villa vs Spurs Sunday 21st March 19:30 Sky Sports

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah it's fine. Some shakiness at the back but not as bad as in some of our disasterclasses. We're actually showing some impetus to attack their half which is nice.

The Grealish factor is concerning. The fact he's missing and they were still able to dominate us for that period ain't a good sign.
Ya, it's not good by any stretch. We still look like we have no idea what to do with the ball in terms of coordinated build-up and movement, but its probably good enough to beat Villa.

Struggling badly with the Villa press on our back 4 and progressing the ball up the pitch. Hopefully we can make some tweaks at half time so we can get some joy in that respect. Or at least have Harry / Vini split and run the channels either side or something.
Our goal came from a long ball down the channel to vini

I am not even sure we are disagreeing.
Hojbjerg is in trouble, no argument there, so Ndombele has to help him out, no argument there, then there is also a centre back close by, so we have 3 players standing within a couple of yards of each other tapping it backwards and forwards.
Either Villa can press that little space, or by the time we move it anywhere they have everyone organized.

I agree with that.

I think the issue is that the CBs we have today can't move the ball so they need Ndombele and PEH to do it for them. That means that Ndombele is limited with how much he can then be available to help PEH.

For me it is an issue with the CB's but I got the impression you were saying it was an issue with Ndomebele.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying.

Ya, it's not good by any stretch. We still look like we have no idea what to do with the ball in terms of coordinated build-up and movement, but its probably good enough to beat Villa.
A Villa sans Grealish (as we're seeing tonight), I agree. If he's on the pitch I think they'd have capitalised on pinning us back in our own half.

We're missing Son, but the two players don't match in terms of how much they make their respective teams click.

Lo Celso and Ndombele have both been a bit disappointing imo. We are struggling to play through midfield, it's in part to do with our shape but they have been a bit quiet.
There's no tactics to the build up through the midfield is the problem. It's choose your own adventure at the moment so it looks like we have 11 different people taking different paths to scoring a goal. It's a bit of a mess.

But the players are good so it makes up for a lot.

All need to remember, the biggest issue for us is heart..

If Villa equalise how do we react? Do we have enough belief and quality to get a 2nd?

Answers unknown but the pattern of this season is there to be feared and is about to be tested once again.

Come on this time FFS.

It’s our midfield.

Ndombele needs to be playing close to Gio, but that opens us up. Genuinely don’t know what I would recommend.

Toby, or a CB with his ability to play the ball, would help with that. Having two CB's that can't pass is not helping with Ndombele being forced way too deep. PEH not being able to handle that either doesn't help.

Far from perfect but much better than the Sky commentators have given us credit for. Also, you’d think Kane was the only one who made the goal happen. It was Lucas’ pressing, aggression, tenacity, running and final pass. The bloke isn’t the most talented in our squad but he’s giving his all. Just what we need right now.
Meh. Kane's ball was the killer play in that move (IMO anyway). Lucas was great too though.

I think that is an issue with how Jose wants us to play which is to sit back and counter. That hasn’t worked well this season other than a few games like when we smashed United so now we try more pass and move possession football but we aren't coached to do it and shows big time. We look reliant on individual brilliance.

All need to remember, the biggest issue for us is heart..

If Villa equalise how do we react? Do we have enough belief and quality to get a 2nd?

Answers unknown but the pattern of this season is there to be feared and is about to be tested once again.

Come on this time FFS.
Indeed. Hopefully it won't come to that. Villa have looked pretty toothless (look at those shot stats) so fingers crossed we get that second goal ASAP and then it just becomes a case of playing smart and picking them off.

Didn’t exactly have a lot of options other than that pass did he?
Like I said to the other guy, if he had the awareness of what is around him he would have turned the other way when he got the ball.
I am not trying to dig him out particularly, he is not the only reason our midfield doesn't work. I guess I am saying I don't see £55 million pounds worth of player there though.

Back
Top Bottom