Aston Villa (A) - 9th April - 530 KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think its just his tactic for tiring the opposition out - it happens in every game, if it were just a case of "lump it" and we'll win he'd do it from the start.
We just have to pass better in future, not just lump it.

Atm with regui, peh, Emerson, and to an extent Son, intricate passing is very difficult.

We can normally cope but yesterday we couldn't and were lucky not to go in at half time in front.

I'd at least want us to start the game looking to play our own way (even if it means we ahve to evolve as the game unfolds).... I understand adopting certain tactics for certain oppo, but this was Villa Park, not The Etihad or Anfield.

listening to Souness on Sky Sports is just horrendous.

'Wondering how Villa didn't get anything out of the game'

Because they couldn't hit a barn door and were shite in the second half.

If that was Liverpool with an away win like that he'd be saying how its so good that they grind out victories and that's the sign of a top team.

Bellend.
To be fair, most of Villas efforts were decent and on target in the first half!

I think we also played into Villa's hands by trying to play it out from the back at every opportunity. This gave them a chance to pressure us, which was their game plan.
2nd half we came out and the instructions were clear. Don't play it short, lump it up as they wont be expecting it. Within a few minutes we carved them open and scored from a Lloris punt up field.
I can’t help thinking that in the first half players like PEH, Emerson and Dier didn’t really have a clue what to do with the ball… so they usually just got rid of it to the nearest sideways player.

Jacob Ramsey was absolutely flying a few weeks back, but has been a bit off the boil over the last few matches (as of most of them to be fair !)

Coutinho
has had a few matches when he has looked as good as his Liverpool days, but again, doing it consistently has been an issue. Fair to say though, you give him too much space, he is capable of causing serious problems and can pick out a pass better than pretty much any player I've seen in a Villa shirt.

Matty Cash
likes to bomb on from full back given half a chance and has been playing well lately, scoring a couple of really good goals as well.

Up front, Gerrard seems to be mixing it up a bit, some weeks playing Watkins on his own and some weeks with Ings up there with him (with Watkins playing wider). To be honest, we had serious doubts that playing the pair of them would ever work, but there's definitely been matches where it does work.
McGinn was decent but these were the guys causing us probs in the 1st half. I thought Dier did a great job on Watkins but Ings had a bit too much of it for my liking.
I know Ings scuffed his big chance but Royal did great getting his legs in the way of a potential goal bound shot.
Coutinho has still got it. Wouldn't say no.

I'd at least want us to start the game looking to play our own way (even if it means we ahve to evolve as the game unfolds).... I understand adopting certain tactics for certain oppo, but this was Villa Park, not The Etihad or Anfield.
Villa's tactics were straight out of the Championship I haven't got a clue handbook. The sort of crap Warnock would tell his players.
Kick lumps out of them and scare them into mistakes, this is why Idiots like Gerrard and Lampard will never compete with the Conte's of this world.

I find Emerson too predictable with his forward play. Always seems to take the safe option, usually a short pass infield.

I guess some would call that being solid.

Villa's tactics were straight out of the Championship I haven't got a clue handbook. The sort of crap Warnock would tell his players.
Kick lumps out of them and scare them into mistakes, this is why Idiots like Gerrard and Lampard will never compete with the Conte's of this world.

Tbh, I don't begrudge an out-gunned team any approach if it works, but it's up to the ref to manage any shit-housery.

That first 30mins yesterday was disgracefully officiated and we were lucky not to suffer more injuries. Unacceptable.

I find Emerson too predictable with his forward play. Always seems to take the safe option, usually a short pass infield.

He is what he is...... He's just plugging a gap atm.

Sadly Doherty getting hurt may extend his current run in the first XI.

Tbh, I don't begrudge an out-gunned team any approach if it works, but it's up to the ref to manage any shit-housery.

That first 30mins yesterday was disgracefully officiated and we were lucky not to suffer more injuries. Unacceptable.
I'm not a fan but saying that if I were Brentford today, i'd tell them to do excatly that, West ham are going to be shitting themselves of getting injuries in what is the biggest game in their lives coming up on thursday.:contelol:

Even allowing for the fact that there were no VAR errors, no bad penalty or offside decisions, that was one of the worst officiated games I’ve seen in years. The ref was an absolute disgrace from the get-go.
Apart from Doc's injury after 2 blatant assaults I'm kinda pleased it turned into a physical battle because this is something we must be able to deal with. I was especially pleased after Bentacur got thrown up in the air after a tackle he got up immediately, not looking for revenge but to try to get the ball back. Kulu stayed down after 2 or 3 crunching challenges but he just got on with it and punished Villa in the best way.
Yes, I do want revenge on May 15 for the Burnley defeat. ;)

Back
Top Bottom