Assuming we play 4-2-3-1 who are the 3?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who are the 3? Select first choice XI only and where you want them starting.

• Lamela - LW

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Lamela - CAM

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Lamela - RW

Votes: 76 73.1%
  • Eriksen - LW

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Eriksen - CAM

Votes: 85 81.7%
  • Eriksen - RW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Chadli - LW

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Chadli - CAM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chadli - RW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Lennon - LW

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Lennon - CAM

• Lennon - RW

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Townsend - LW

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Townsend - CAM

• Townsend - RW

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Sigurdsson - LW

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Sigurdsson - CAM

• Sigurdsson - RW

• Holtby - LW

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Holtby - CAM

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Holtby - RW

• Total voters
I'ved talked about Roma on here before but not so much Valencia. They're my favorite Spanish team and I watch them all the time, particularly in the past three three since Villa left and Soldado joined. I actually have a Valencia jersey too. So I've seen Soldado play for three years now and he is not one to win a header to score. He thrives on through ball down the middle and low crosses at the byline. His movement is so good and that's how he scores so much.

Now since we are talking about inverted wingers and true wingers, let me tell you that Lennon would be the worst player for Soldado to play with. What Lennon is good at is beating a man to the byline and getting away a cross, which is usually in the air. Now that might sound great but Lennon usually does this when the box is packed, meaning that it would require Soldado to win a header to score which probably wont happen. Furthermore, Lennon hardly ever plays through balls to the striker which is what Soldado is so good at finishing.

Now onto Lamela. I also watch Roma a lot because I am a huge Totti fan. Lamela is best at right wing. I've seen him play for two years at Roma and if he starts in the middle then he usually drifts off to the right to pick up the ball anyways. He is really not a left winger and I'm pretty sure we will never see him played there. Lamela is fantastic at taking on defenders like Lennon but he is a great dribbler and he has many tricks that allow him to slip through balls to others or get in a low cross when the defenders aren't expecting it. He'll also attract defenders toward him and allow Kyle Walker tons of space to get to the line and allow him to get low crosses in to Soldado without much pressure.

Now for the inverted winger debate. Inverted wingers will not clog up space if they are done right. You are so narrow minded if you really think that it is completely necessary to have true wingers. The fact that Lamela is such a good dribbler and passer gives him a duel threat that Lennon does not pose. The left back can either pick up a Walker run or stop Lamela from dribbling inside and shooting or slipping a pass to Soldado or Eriksen/Holtby. It will be this threat that will open up space for our full backs to get forward and provide the width. It doesn't always have to come from the mids. On the left side, Chadli showed that he can get a great cross away to Soldado in the Tblisi game. I don't understand all the Chadli hate because he has impressed me a lot. He's not flashy but he's a good player and gets the job done. He looked the most dangerous against the scum in the first 20 min vs Jenkinson and its a shame we didn't go back to him.

If we're playing Eriksen in that hole behind Soldado, we don't need inverted wingers cutting inside crowding his space.

Therefore, LW Lamela, CAM Eriksen, RW Lennon.

SkyBet: Nacer Chadli's odds have dropped to 4/6 and have overtaken Danny Rose (2/1) as favourite for THFC scapegoat of the year.

Chadli has been one of our best players this season - and he's the only winger who understands how to play in a 4-3-3 to this point. He's been involved in nearly every good team move we've had, and created the most clear cut scoring chances on the entire team.

And people want to bench him? It's crazy town up in here.

currently my prefered 11 for the long run would be

------------Hugo
Walker Kaboul Verts Rose
--------Sandro Pauli
-Lamela Eriksen Chadli
----------Soldado

If we're playing Eriksen in that hole behind Soldado, we don't need inverted wingers cutting inside crowding his space.

Therefore, LW Lamela, CAM Eriksen, RW Lennon.

Exactly what I was going to post. Furthermore, we know from having seen enough footage of the man that Soldado thrives on crosses into and around the six yard box and penalty spot....inverting the wide players removes that service.

Plus, if need be, the two can switch.

also went with:

CAM - Erik
RW - Lamela (inverted)
LW - Towns (non-inverted!)

images

We aren't saying don't do it ever but we need width to get Soldado the chances he thrives on.

The good thing is this, we have 48 players so every scenario can be accommodated.

people are painting Soldado like he's Andy feckn Carroll or Peter fuckn Crouch lol

Soldado thrives on quick intricate link up play like little one twos and one or two touch passing in and around the box. Walker and Rose will be providing the width whilst Chadli and Lamela drive into the box to link up with the likes of Soldado, Eriksen and Pauli. The aim is to get multiple players into the box and score loads of goals.

I get what you are saying, but if you have Walker and Rose overlapping the inverted wingers, you end up with 4-5 players in a very small space, attracting loads of defenders, its not conducive to creating clear cut chances, in fact, you can watch the highlights of the Woolwich game to see the exact type of chances you'll get... i.e ones with 3 players in the way that get blocked 9 times out of 10.

I dont think anyone is suggesting inverted wingers are wrong, but we have to be able to provide natural width as well, without overcommitting.

Not at all, with the likes of Eriksen and Lamela bedding in we will start to move the ball quicker and more decisively in and around the box plus transition far quicker. The problem against arscum was we were to slow in our build up or transition and Dembele seriously underperformed. It's early days yet but AVB is clearly trying to move towards a 433 system with inverted wingers al la most of the best teams around the world.

I also watched one FC Twente game last season, he got an assist in the game, but it looked more a panicked fluke than quality play.

well fuck me my bad, not a whole one match were he got a flukey panicked assist lol

read the bit before. My opinion isn't based solely on one game.

How does watching Ajax week in week out make you an expert on FC Twente players? All the reports I've read on Chadli say he's a very complete player perfectly suited to the EPL. I don't like how after not even a handful of games we have a good few fans writing him off and trying to turn him into our new scapegoat especially when he's shown flashes of class and linked up with Rose very well.

Also anyone who thinks we spunked 30 mil on Lamela to experiment with him on the left and try to turn him into an old school English winger to accomadate Aaron 'dodgy end product' Lennon is fuckn deluded.

zin

Supporter
Seeing as we have 3 new players, Townsend back from loan and Lennon was considered first choice back in May who are the 3 first XI players now and what position do you want them in?

I voted for
Lamela RW
Eriksen CAM
Holtby LW

Purely because I think this has the most creativity base don what Iv seen and under the assumption they all gel quickly.

I also wanted to fit Eriksen and Holtby in to the same team so gave myself poetic license with positioning...

Also
Seeing as we have 3 new players, Townsend back from loan and Lennon was considered first choice back in May who are the 3 first XI players now and what position do you want them in?
Who are your picks?

I made my picks based on who I want to see in two weeks hosting Norwich.

LW: Chadli
CAM: Holtby
RW: Lamela

Holtby has done very well of late and I'd like to see him given a go in the pivotal role, and Eriksen given the start against Tromso in the midweek Europa fixture. Realistically, Townsend has done it all to maintain his spot. We could very well see him at LW, and I'd have no problem with that whatsoever.

Quite an easy one for this set up.

RW Lennon- CAM Eriksen- LW Lamela = LEL

Starting 11 would be

Lloris
Walker - Kaboul - Vertonghen - Rose
Sandro - Paulinho
Lennon - Eriksen - Lamela
Soldado​

Back
Top Bottom