As Good As It Gets?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Two years ago we finished third in the Premiership. Last year we finished second. This year we topped our Champions' League table beating Real Madrid once and Borussia Dortmund twice en route. Clearly this success and the fact we've played some very attractive football is brilliant, but I've found myself wondering recently if we can achieve anything more. Part of this is looking at the money teams like Man City and PSG and thinking that they'll be able to buy their way to the Premiership or the Champions' League at any cost and thinking we just can't compete at that level.

Maybe this is not a bad thing, when I think of the alternatives that supporters of most other teams are faced with - perhaps hoping for a top half finish or just to stay in the Premiership, and possibly having to negatively grind out results to achieve either.

I would definitely like to throw in some silverware - still my favourite Spurs memories are of the 81/82 FA Cup double. However I'm aware that ambitions of repeated top 4 finishes and maybe an FA Cup or two does make us sound worryingly like Woolwich.

I hope that I look back on this next year when we've recovered to win the Premiership and the Champions' League and wonder why I had a somewhat pessimistic air, but for now I'm still thinking is this as good as it gets?

Could be. This brilliant team is starting to break up, Walker going has had more of an impact than I thought, Rose is on his way in January. He hasn't played properly for ages, but we miss him as he was at his best when he wanted to play for us. I fear others will follow. Plus the new stadium will make things hard for us financially.

The key is keeping Poch and investing well in young players. As ever we need to constantly rebuild as we are at a massive disadvantage against teams we are competing with, and we will lose players. For us to win the league or CL the stars must align. We must be very good and hope for others to slip up; for instance the Leicester season if we had been a bit more experienced (as we were last year) we'd have won it.

Fully expect us to be purchased by Bitcoin in the next 24 months and then lead the way with DNA based robot footballers incapable of playing a bad game.

It’s the future.

Redknapp was right in what he said but wrong in the way ( and timing) he projected it. The issue with a large contingent of football supporters is that they will readily accept the realities and limitations of other clubs but will not apply criteria to their own. Given the choice they will always choose the blue pill over the red.

Our current postion isn’t sustainable, anyone with any semblance of knowledge of the mechanics of the modern game, about the financial structure of this and were we stand knows this.

We currently have an elite side but we are not an elite club and we have seen countless times with other such clubs the likes of Dortmund, Monaco and A. Madrid what the outcome is.

And the frustration is unlike those sides we have not capitalised on this talent. We have instead choosen to deny this, chosen to believe that we are something we are not and believe that we above tournaments that represent our best chance of success. And what silverware do have to show for it?

It’s the same strategy being applied as in the Redknapp era and is it any wonder that the outcome is exactly the same. The team is already starting to break up, Walker is gone, Rose will be next, Alderwield is delaying a new contract whilst the elites have their eyes of the likes of Kane and Ali. I just hope the penny will drop at some point and the priority changes and we can win an FA Cup or league Cup with this side before the inevitable happens. It would be such a waste of talent and opportunity to look back on this decade and have to say our high points were the Inter Milan and Real Madrid games.

I expected the start of a massive bun-fight/shitfest when I opened this thread but what I’ve found I’ve almost entirely agreed with..

I’m writing this as news of our rivals leading trickles in. We are out of the top four and can’t see us getting back in to be honest.

I’m disappointed and in many ways sad that we seem to have climbed our peak and are on the way back down again. Sure, I could pick holes in the players; the manager (harder to find fault with him over the players); our tactics; and fucking Wembley but what I’m really angry about are the reactions within the media and by extension our main rivals.

Many ‘pundits’ have been willing us to fail since we breached the cash cow of the top4, then salivating at the prospect of our best and brightest pulling on the famous shirts of Etihad, Emirates, Qatar and Samsung f.c’s...

This week at work and from ‘mates’ it’s been a similar story to that of the media agenda - “all you’ve gone all Spursey again / back where you belong / Europa League at best” etc etc. Cunts

‘If’ this is it I’m gutted we don’t have a trophy to show for it. Nothing new here really, plenty of very good Spurs sides without silverware - all the while Woolwich have picked up cups with some of the most boring / dire teams in football history...

Shame some of our fans pissed all over our glory years by claiming it wasn't good enough, that we HAD to get trophies. We've been doing incredibly well, and should be proud about the way we've overachieved.

Let's just enjoy what we've got while we've got it, instead of being unhappy about it not being good enough.

(That being said, right now I feel like resigning as a football fan. All the other teams winning, my fantasy team failing, referees giving others gifts and fucking us over, us missing chances, losing games we should've won, while other teams have just the luck they need...this shit is making me depressed.)

Could be. This brilliant team is starting to break up, Walker going has had more of an impact than I thought, Rose is on his way in January. He hasn't played properly for ages, but we miss him as he was at his best when he wanted to play for us. I fear others will follow.
Jesus Christ, Rose just came back from a long injury he needs time to get back to full fitness, you can't expect him to play every game immediately he got back from the injury. And Davies' been in great form so it makes sense to rotate when needed. He said some stupid shit back in the summer, if his time will come, he will go, fuck it, we'll find someone else, cycle repeats etc etc. I thought time taught us that no player is bigger than the club and there's always a replacement, someone with more hunger and desire for glory.

What could get serious is fans turning against Pochettino when things don't go right as it seems some of the Spurs 'fans' are already too spoiled with good results and when this blip occurred, I've seen some shocking comments like Poch has to go, fucking hell he brought us here ffs, why the fuck would you say some shit like that.

No reason why we can't bag top 4 still....

Keep getting behind the boys, ladies and gents!

Jesus Christ, Rose just came back from a long injury he needs time to get back to full fitness, you can't expect him to play every game immediately he got back from the injury. And Davies' been in great form so it makes sense to rotate when needed. He said some stupid shit back in the summer, if his time will come, he will go, fuck it, we'll find someone else, cycle repeats etc etc. I thought time taught us that no player is bigger than the club and there's always a replacement, someone with more hunger and desire for glory.

What could get serious is fans turning against Pochettino when things don't go right as it seems some of the Spurs 'fans' are already too spoiled with good results and when this blip occurred, I've seen some shocking comments like Poch has to go, fucking hell he brought us here ffs, why the fuck would you say some shit like that.
I wasn't having a go at Poch at all. Love the man.

Rose is a self-serving cunt who cares nothing for us. Forget about him. He'd appear in a Chelsea shirt rather than play for us. I'm not expecting anything from him because by the time he's back to full fitness he'll be off.

Davies has done very well I agree, but is not yet the finished article (Rose was, when he was committed and fit). Same with Aurier/Walker. It's not as easy as you suggest to replace important players. IMO. And I agree we need to rotate, never said that we didn't.

All I meant to say was, regardless of how good Poch is, we will lose players because we don't pay as well as our rivals. So we will need to constantly rebuild. Challenging for major honours in that position is very difficult, plus having to pay off the ground, and it may not be possible for us to reach the heights of the last two seasons again.

Last edited:
2b2bbaf54ac35d6c601c7b76c99bc8bc.png

Will clubs will more money ultimate do better than us? Absolutely.

Woolwich have been consistently better than us because...more money

We’ve been consistently better than West Ham because...more money

Sure there will be the odd exception where a team occasionally performs better than expected but more often than not cash is king.

Sad but true.

Back
Top Bottom