Apoel Nicosia v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I remember saying last week that I'd drop Son as we needed a very strong line up for this game and I was worried about injuries. Reading that Eriksen is out is a bit of a disaster, our attacking line up is limited to:

Kane
Llorente
Son
GKN
Sissoko
Edwards

I think that's about it and realistically Edwards won't even be there.

We might have to play 2 up top and hope they sit deep. If they do sit deep we can simply bombard them with crosses and hopefully get through.

Lloris
Aurier-Toby-Jan-Davies (Don't think 3 defenders will be needed. This will be a "sit deep and defend" game)
Sissoko-Dier (Sissoko has to play to make up for the lack of attacking options).
Son-Kane-GKN (Son and GKN have to play, no alternatives)
Llorente

You could argue play 3 in midfield, but I really don't see much of a point - the only available option would be Winks who doesn't offer enough in attack to replace one of the front 4.

Last edited:
I remember saying last week that I'd drop Son as we needed a very strong line up for this game and I was worried about injuries. Reading that Eriksen is out is a bit of a disaster, our attacking line up is limited to:

Kane
Llorente
Son
GKN
Sissoko
Edwards

I think that's about it and realistically Edwards won't even be there.

We might have to play 2 up top and hope they sit deep. If they do sit deep we can simply bombard them with crosses and hopefully get through.

Lloris
Trippier-Toby-Jan-Davies (Don't think 3 defenders will be needed. This will be a "sit deep and defend" game)
Sissoko-Dier (Sissoko has to play to make up for the lack of attacking options).
Son-Kane-GKN (Son and GKN have to play, no alternatives)
Llorente

You could argue play 3 in midfield, but I really don't see much of a point - the only available option would be Winks who doesn't offer enough in attack to replace one of the front 4.

I'd imagine Aurier will play tonight as he's suspended for the weekend game. Plus Aurier offers more going forward with his pace and willing to take on his man.

Winks will start as well I think, he's able to dictate play with his passing and movement. Could potentially see Sissoko and Son off of Kane, or Llorente up top with Kane and Son off of him.

As much as it looks like an easy game, It could be dangerous to let your guard down.
I haven't seen Apoel play in a long time, but a shock start like a set piece goal for them and afterwards parking the bus could be a tough challenge.

Bit of random news

Apoel are currently 11th (out of 14) in the Cyprus Division 1 - and have amassed 4 points in 3 games. Their last win was on 9 September

Bit of random trivia

No Cypriot side has ever beaten English opposition in European competition, in 12 attempts (D2 L10)

In fact, APOEL's only previous encounter with an English club came in the 2009/10 Champions League group stages against Chelsea. The Cypriot team lost 1-0 in Nicosia before securing a 2-2 draw in London

Tottenham have faced Cypriot opposition more times than any other English club in European competition (Anorthosis Famagusta in the 2007/08 UEFA Cup first round, AEL Limassol in the 2014/15 Europa League play-offs). They've scored 12 goals and conceded only three in those four games (W3 D1)

APOEL have lost 10 of their last 12 Champions League games (W1 D1). They have also failed to score in 10 of their last 13 outings, remaining goalless in each of their last five games

APOEL have never kept a clean sheet at home in the Champions League group stages (9 games)

APOEL have progressed to the knockout stages of the Champions League only once in their three previous appearances. They were knocked out by Real Madrid in the quarter-finals of the 2011/12 campaign

Given that Alli, Eriksen, Wanyama, Dembele and Jan are all apparently out for various reasons, it all depends on whether you trust a formation style first or trust experienced players more...

3-4-3 on the Counter:

Lloris
Aurier Alderweireld Sanchez Foyth Davies
Sissoko Dier
N'Koudou Kane Son​

Plan B Christmas Tree:

Lloris
Aurier Alderweireld Sanchez Davies
Sissoko Dier Winks
Kane Son
Llorente​

The first is tempting to try to ideally replicate the BVB style and win 0-4 against weaker opposition, but the second one looks more realistic for a well fought 0-1 win away from home in Europe.

I think we'll see the second formation. There's a lot of fire power and strength in that team, plus Sissoko and Son offer pace getting forward.

Huge chance for Winks to convince Poch why he doesn't need to buy CM next season.

-------------------Lloris

Aurier----Toby----Sanchez----Davies

-------------Dier----Winks
Sissoko-------------------------Nkoudou
-------------------Son

------------------Kane

EDITED: Thanks Rocket Rocket

[formation=4231, Lloris, Aurier, Toby, Davinson, Davies, Winks, Dier, Sissoko, Kane, Son, Llorente][/formation]

Wondered where people were getting those lovely green formations from!

Last edited:
That's mental!! This is a CL game not a league cup 3rd Round! And we've a genuine injury/Suspension crises all over the park! Kane will play
I consider Kane for more important to our league campaign plus this is the easiest opponent in our group. Why else did we buy Llorente if we can trust him in games like these?

Last edited:
Time for Winksy to step up to the mark again.
Pretty certain he will start.
Eriksen being out is a huge loss. We will probably be less of a scalpel, more of a chainsaw tonight. We need pace on the wings & get the ball out to the wide players quickly. I'd be amazed if Llorente doesn't start this one to make use of the squad & his undoubted aerial prowess.

Back
Top Bottom