Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes but serious question half them have been in answer to you on the Ange thread?

Just want to know why your attached to Conte so I do not answer any more of your posts because generally your takes on Spurs things are quite good.
I wanna know why some have such irrational hatred. It bugs me.

I wanna know why some have such irrational hatred. It bugs me.
Simple Conte went on so many rants and the one that turned me was the one against AC Milan:
“Because I repeat – in my opinion, also against Milan, they [the players] tried to give everything. Then you weren’t able to go to the next round against a team that won the league last season.

“We are trying to go step by step and to build something important but if you don’t have patience and it is not useful, this. You understand? It’s un-useful, this. In my opinion. For this reason, we have to try to stay together until the end for this season, and to help the players to stay together, to fight, to try to make the best possible position and then, for sure … I don’t know what happens. I don’t know what happens.”

This while causing instability by not discussing a new contract.

Then there was the game he blamed the fans it was never him.

A real manager takes some resposibility especially since I spent money to go see Spurs in Milan and to be told a few games later a bad performance was my fault.

Last edited:
Simple Conte went on so many rants and the one that turned me was the one against AC Milan:
“Because I repeat – in my opinion, also against Milan, they [the players] tried to give everything. Then you weren’t able to go to the next round against a team that won the league last season.

“We are trying to go step by step and to build something important but if you don’t have patience and it is not useful, this. You understand? It’s un-useful, this. In my opinion. For this reason, we have to try to stay together until the end for this season, and to help the players to stay together, to fight, to try to make the best possible position and then, for sure … I don’t know what happens. I don’t know what happens.”

A real manager takes some resposibility especially since I spent money to go see Spurs in Milan and to be told a few games later a bad performance was my fault.

100%

Agree. No manager of ours should be saying that. Could you imagine klopp or even Lego head saying the same, let alone Ange. It wasn’t on.

Part of why I wanted him was the he was never, ever going to toe the company line.
His post Southampton rant was, is and will always be bang on the money.
He finally put the cat among the pigeons and asked why we lack winning mentality.
As it stands, he achieved more than Ange with an inferior squad.
Yet all I see is people wanting to hold Ange's dick when he pisses. It's weird.

A tough penalty decision to take but at 3-1 up with 15 minutes to go, should your team be drawing that match?
Conte: "If we are going to discuss about the penalty it means we don't want to see other situations. For the penalty for me it was not a penalty. I stop, we close the situation. The worst situation is what was happening on the pitch. What has been happening in the last few months, what's happening in this, my second season.

"I think that it's the right moment to speak because I think that after this performance, for me this is unacceptable. We are winning 3-1, in control of the game and you are able to concede two goals and to risk, because also Fraser [Forster] made a fantastic save in one situation.

"I think it's much better to go into the problem, because the problem is that for another time we showed that we are not a team.

"We are 11 players that go into the pitch. I see selfish players. I see players that don't want to help each other and don't put their heart [into it].

"First of, today I prefer to hide this situation and to try to speak, to try to improve the spirit, the situation, with the words. With a lot of situations. Because about tactical or technical aspect, this is one situation.

"The most important thing if you want to become a strong team, if you want to become competitive, if you want to fight to win, is the desire, the fire that you need to have in your eyes, in your heart. And you have to show this in every moment. In every moment.

"If I have to compare last season and this season, I said to improve, now we are worse in this aspect. When you are not a team, everything can happen, in any moment. Today is the last situation. Don’t forget that in the FA Cup we lost to Sheffield United, who played with young players. We were able with a strong team to be dropped in FA Cup. And then a lot of situations, I repeat, that we are not going to improve. And I am not speaking about tactical aspect or technical aspect.

"To be a team, to be a team, to be a team, this the most important thing. To understand that we play for the badge. We have to play to make our fans proud of us. We have to play to show desire. The fire in your eyes to win. If you have this, for sure, you don't go out in the FA Cup. Today, you win. Maybe, previously, in the other games, maybe, maybe something can change.

"But here, we're used to it for a long time. The club has the responsibility for the transfer market, every coach that stayed here has the responsibility. And the players? The players? Where are the players? About my experience, I can tell you that if you want to be competitive, if you want to fight, you have to improve this aspect. And now this aspect, for me, in this moment is really, really low. And I see only 11 players that play for themselves."

Antonio, this is a difficult question to ask but do you think your position, the uncertainty over your future…?
Conte: "You are finding an alibi, another alibi. You try to find an alibi, an excuse for the players. OK, continue, continue to do this, to find an excuse for the players. You do only this! You do only this. Excuses for the players. But the players, maybe, my future, then they lost confidence, they lost spirit, they lost being a team. Excuse. Excuse. Excuse. Try to protect, try to protect them every time.

"Come on, come on, come on. We are professional. We pay, the club paid us a lot of money. The players receive money, me receive money, you understand? Not to find excuse and don't have spirit or don't show a sense of belonging or don't show a sense of responsibility because we are showing this. And for me this is unacceptable, for me. Because this is the first time in my career to see a situation like this. And until now I wasn't able to change, not to change but compare to last season the situation went to become worst."

Why is it happening?
Conte: "Why? I don't know because they are used to it here. They are used to it here. They don't play for something important, yeah. They don't want to play under pressure, they don't want to play under stress. It is easy in this way.

"Tottenham's story is this. Twenty years there is the owner and they never won something, but why? The fault is only for the club, or for every manager that stay here? I have seen the managers that Tottenham had on the bench. You risk to disrupt the figure of the manager and to protect the other situation in every moment.

"And now, until now I try to hide the situation but now, no, because I repeat I don't want to see what I have seen today because this is unacceptable also for the respect for the fans. They follow us, pay [for] the tickets and to see the team another time to have this type of performance, for me, I repeat, this is unacceptable. We have to think a lot, we have to think a lot about this."

You saw the fire last week. What has changed?
Conte: "I said that I want to see the fire, not that I have seen. It is different. I said that I want to see the fire in their eyes. I want to see the fire in their hearts. I want to see the right spirit. OK, not only in the training session, in the pitch. Because here you have to make the difference. And I am not seeing this.

"And until now I try to hide the situation but now, there are 10 games to go and something thinks that we can fight. Fight for what with this spirit? With this attitude? With this commitment? For what? For seventh, eighth, 10th place? I am not used to this position. I’m really upset and everyone has to take their responsibility.

"Not only the club, not only the manager, the staff. The players have to be involved in this situation because it is time to change this situation if Tottenham want to change. If they want to continue in this way, they can change manager, a lot of managers, but the situation cannot change. Believe me.

"Thank you very much."

A tough penalty decision to take but at 3-1 up with 15 minutes to go, should your team be drawing that match?
Conte: "If we are going to discuss about the penalty it means we don't want to see other situations. For the penalty for me it was not a penalty. I stop, we close the situation. The worst situation is what was happening on the pitch. What has been happening in the last few months, what's happening in this, my second season.

"I think that it's the right moment to speak because I think that after this performance, for me this is unacceptable. We are winning 3-1, in control of the game and you are able to concede two goals and to risk, because also Fraser [Forster] made a fantastic save in one situation.

"I think it's much better to go into the problem, because the problem is that for another time we showed that we are not a team.

"We are 11 players that go into the pitch. I see selfish players. I see players that don't want to help each other and don't put their heart [into it].

"First of, today I prefer to hide this situation and to try to speak, to try to improve the spirit, the situation, with the words. With a lot of situations. Because about tactical or technical aspect, this is one situation.

"The most important thing if you want to become a strong team, if you want to become competitive, if you want to fight to win, is the desire, the fire that you need to have in your eyes, in your heart. And you have to show this in every moment. In every moment.

"If I have to compare last season and this season, I said to improve, now we are worse in this aspect. When you are not a team, everything can happen, in any moment. Today is the last situation. Don’t forget that in the FA Cup we lost to Sheffield United, who played with young players. We were able with a strong team to be dropped in FA Cup. And then a lot of situations, I repeat, that we are not going to improve. And I am not speaking about tactical aspect or technical aspect.

"To be a team, to be a team, to be a team, this the most important thing. To understand that we play for the badge. We have to play to make our fans proud of us. We have to play to show desire. The fire in your eyes to win. If you have this, for sure, you don't go out in the FA Cup. Today, you win. Maybe, previously, in the other games, maybe, maybe something can change.

"But here, we're used to it for a long time. The club has the responsibility for the transfer market, every coach that stayed here has the responsibility. And the players? The players? Where are the players? About my experience, I can tell you that if you want to be competitive, if you want to fight, you have to improve this aspect. And now this aspect, for me, in this moment is really, really low. And I see only 11 players that play for themselves."

Antonio, this is a difficult question to ask but do you think your position, the uncertainty over your future…?
Conte: "You are finding an alibi, another alibi. You try to find an alibi, an excuse for the players. OK, continue, continue to do this, to find an excuse for the players. You do only this! You do only this. Excuses for the players. But the players, maybe, my future, then they lost confidence, they lost spirit, they lost being a team. Excuse. Excuse. Excuse. Try to protect, try to protect them every time.

"Come on, come on, come on. We are professional. We pay, the club paid us a lot of money. The players receive money, me receive money, you understand? Not to find excuse and don't have spirit or don't show a sense of belonging or don't show a sense of responsibility because we are showing this. And for me this is unacceptable, for me. Because this is the first time in my career to see a situation like this. And until now I wasn't able to change, not to change but compare to last season the situation went to become worst."

Why is it happening?
Conte: "Why? I don't know because they are used to it here. They are used to it here. They don't play for something important, yeah. They don't want to play under pressure, they don't want to play under stress. It is easy in this way.

"Tottenham's story is this. Twenty years there is the owner and they never won something, but why? The fault is only for the club, or for every manager that stay here? I have seen the managers that Tottenham had on the bench. You risk to disrupt the figure of the manager and to protect the other situation in every moment.

"And now, until now I try to hide the situation but now, no, because I repeat I don't want to see what I have seen today because this is unacceptable also for the respect for the fans. They follow us, pay [for] the tickets and to see the team another time to have this type of performance, for me, I repeat, this is unacceptable. We have to think a lot, we have to think a lot about this."

Conte: "I said that I want to see the fire, not that I have seen. It is different. I said that I want to see the fire in their eyes. I want to see the fire in their hearts. I want to see the right spirit. OK, not only in the training session, in the pitch. Because here you have to make the difference. And I am not seeing this.

"And until now I try to hide the situation but now, there are 10 games to go and something thinks that we can fight. Fight for what with this spirit? With this attitude? With this commitment? For what? For seventh, eighth, 10th place? I am not used to this position. I’m really upset and everyone has to take their responsibility.

"Not only the club, not only the manager, the staff. The players have to be involved in this situation because it is time to change this situation if Tottenham want to change. If they want to continue in this way, they can change manager, a lot of managers, but the situation cannot change. Believe me.

"Thank you very much."

Proper cunt.

Not surprised by the people who defend this prick.

Why is it happening?

"Thank you very much."
Part of why I wanted him was the he was never, ever going to toe the company line.
He finally put the cat among the pigeons and asked why we lack winning mentality.
The Southampton rant was the worst and most misinterpreted part of Conte's Campaign he did not come back and manage us after the rant. He did not speak to the players post match at all then flew straight back to Italy.

Even the criticism of Levy was pathetic it was he has been here twenty years and he does not spend at the best interpretation.

The whole thing felt like none of this is my fault.

That is me out on this subject so hopefully I do not see his name mentioned in any other threads. If people are going to compare Ange do it to Poch's time.

You have reframed history to fit something you already believe. Ange has come in to an unstable club that sold its best player and its captain, and played attacking proactive football. Whilst constantly talking up the club its fans and its history. He has been charming and kind to everyone he meets and exuded warmth. His interaction with the lad with Downs syndrome reveal a character deeply in tune with his own humanity and full of empathy.

These are the reasons 'Spurs fans' want to 'hold his dick'. Conte called Levy out hurrah! He also belittled the club at every turn, behaved like we should be honoured to be on the pitch with AC Milan despite our recent ECL history being better than theres and knocking them out of the same. He turned down the job and only took it because he got conned in a Ponzi scheme . Incidentally he manages to engineer his dismissal once he accures in salary exactly with slice on top the money he'd lost.He has been implicated in match fixing and under the table payments by oligarchs, and banned for corruption. But your 'holding his dick' !!! Because what he was mean about Levy?

Let me be clear, I am not one of the people who think Postecoglou is infallible, he has made mistakes and we will see soon enough if he can get us over the line. But after the convicted charmless cheat who played murderball so bad your eyes would bleed I'm stunned you are 'annoyed' by people rooting for the non tool. It's just the Levy thing huh Matt? Seriously mate I think your compass is totally wrong on this.

As enfield1985 says the post Southampton rant was not some heroic whistle blower moment. That’s what Keith Burkinshaw did decades ago. It was a disingenuous attempt to pull the wool over credulous people's eyes. If he wasn't an emotionally stunned man baby he'd have told the truth and said "I don't feel so good, I'm sad, I miss my wife and I want to go home." But then he couldn't have squeezed a few more coins out if Levy . Blokes a fraud.

Last edited:

Bollocks.

The Southampton rant was the worst and most misinterpreted part of Conte's Campaign he did not come back and manage us after the rant. He did not speak to the players post match at all then flew straight back to Italy.

Even the criticism of Levy was pathetic it was he has been here twenty years and he does not spend at the best interpretation.

The whole thing felt like none of this is my fault.

That is me out on this subject so hopefully I do not see his name mentioned in any other threads. If people are going to compare Ange do it to Poch's time.
It was an international break. He was always due to leave the country and go back to Italy.
What is almost certain, is that he was told not to come back or contact the players shortly after and the response was planned in the coming weeks by the club.
You seem to want to invent scenario's to reinforce your obvious irrational hatred.
Should we have drawn with Southampton, no.
Should we have been utterly fucking twatted by Fulham the other week? Hell no. Are you frothing at the mouth with rage on that? Nope.

You have reframed history to fit something you already believe. Ange has come in to an unstable club that sold its best player and its captain, and played attacking proactive football. Whilst constantly talking up the club its fans and its history. He has been charming and kind to everyone he meets and exuded warmth. His interaction with the lad with Downs syndrome reveal a character deeply in tune with his own humanity and full of empathy.

These are the reasons 'Spurs fans' want to 'hold his dick'. Conte called Levy out hurrah! He also belittled the club at every turn, behaved like we should be honoured to be on the pitch with AC Milan despite our recent ECL history being better than theres and knockinv them out of the same. Turned down the job and only took it because he got conned in a Ponzi scheme . Incidentally he manages to engineer his dismissal once he accures in salary exactly with slice on top the money he'd lost.He has been implicated in match fixing and under the table payments by oligarchs, and banned for corruption. But your 'holding his dick' !!! Because what he was man about Levy?

Let me be clear, I am not one of the people who think Postecoglou is infallible, he has made mistakes and we will see soon enough if he can get us over the line. But after the convicted charmless cheat who played murderball so bad your eyes would bleed I'm stunned you are 'annoyed' by people rooting for the non tool. It's just the Levy thing huh Matt? Seriously mate I think your compass is totally wrong on this.

My point was and will always be that the 2 seasons are not remotely comparable.
Ange had to deal with Kane leaving. He also got given VDV, Vicario, Udogie and Maddison.
Conte had to deal with 3 friends dying and his own ill health and had to start Dier, Davies, Lloris, Sanchez and everyones fave whipping boy PEH every week.

If both coaches were working with largely the same squad and circumstances, and Conte finished last season, then it would be a perfectly sensible comparison. But it's not and it always feels like it's blind hatred that makes it happen. It's weird and irrational. I also feel some fans, maybe not in this instance, use each coach to emphasise their point against the other. IE, Angeball is so great Conteball looks awful. When in reality, at times, the other difference is possession. We still tend to win games late on having looked ropey.

Why is it happening?

"Thank you very much."
His fucking job is to change the situation not to throw his hands in the air, just my two cents

My point was and will always be that the 2 seasons are not remotely comparable.
Ange had to deal with Kane leaving. He also got given VDV, Vicario, Udogie and Maddison.
Conte had to deal with 3 friends dying and his own ill health and had to start Dier, Davies, Lloris, Sanchez and everyones fave whipping boy PEH every week.

If both coaches were working with largely the same squad and circumstances, and Conte finished last season, then it would be a perfectly sensible comparison. But it's not and it always feels like it's blind hatred that makes it happen. It's weird and irrational. I also feel some fans, maybe not in this instance, use each coach to emphasise their point against the other. IE, Angeball is so great Conteball looks awful. When in reality, at times, the other difference is possession. We still tend to win games late on having looked ropey.
he wasn't given those players, he went out and signed them!

edit: apart from Udogie

What are you saying?
Ange wins something before Conte, you make Conte your profile pic
? I win sweet fuck all because you love Conte and Ange has put a trophy in the Spurs cabinet as well, I don't like that bet at all
Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

That's not what I'm saying.
For clarity - you lose the bet - Conte is your picture.
I lose the bet - Ange is my picture.

I thought that was obvious.

Same could be said for you about Conte.

Why are you so hellbent on defending him when he had absolutely no respect for our club?

That meltdown at Southampton was nothing more than self preservation, and throwing his resignation on the desk, without actually doing so in order to get a nice pay off

Yes things needed to change at the club, but he had no desire to be here any longer than he needed to, he saw getting us top 4 as an achievement and bailed soon after. We needed more than that from him

he wasn't given those players, he went out and signed them!
Oh come on, you don't believe that, do you?
Levy, in 24 years of leaving coaches short of what they need and signing the 3rd player on their list suddenly went and got all of the coaches demanded targets.
Don't pick and chose when it was a coaches player and when it was a directors player.

Back
Top Bottom