Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Basically this right here. Conte's literal take on this issue seems fairly absurd. When I first read it I took at some kind of tricky zen comment about how the idea was basically impossible. "Like a camel passing through the eye of a needle" biblical type stuff.

With the way Conte is I think we'll be lucky to carry one talented younger player in his very short rotation. The rest will need to have their "final stage of development" while on loan. Speaking of which, we really need a feeder club like 2 or 3 years ago...

Same as Poch then. Onomah, Edward’s, KWP would get man of the match then not play again for months. Sure Poch used players like mason, Kane, bentaleb but only mason was brought through by him. Sherwood bled Kane and bentaleb. I hated Sherwood as our manager but he was the one who started those two off.

Basically this right here. Conte's literal take on this issue seems fairly absurd. When I first read it I took at some kind of tricky zen comment about how the idea was basically impossible. "Like a camel passing through the eye of a needle" biblical type stuff.

With the way Conte is I think we'll be lucky to carry one talented younger player in his very short rotation. The rest will need to have their "final stage of development" while on loan. Speaking of which, we really need a feeder club like 2 or 3 years ago...

Yeah I read it like these players should go out on loan, prove capable of PL demands and then return ready for a place in the squad, much like Chelsea do with a lot of their academy.

Same as Poch then. Onomah, Edward’s, KWP would get man of the match then not play again for months. Sure Poch used players like mason, Kane, bentaleb but only mason was brought through by him. Sherwood bled Kane and bentaleb. I hated Sherwood as our manager but he was the one who started those two off.

I'm not sure if it's the same, Poch refused to let these boys go out on loan where as I think Conte will let them go on loan.

I'm not sure if it's the same, Poch refused to let these boys go out on loan where as I think Conte will let them go on loan.

I was talking from the point of stagnation, which Gold has intimated Conte is causing. When in fact, I back him as I said the other day, the loaning out of good youngsters is the only way to get them ready for a champions league club.

Remember when Conte said we need to start acting like a big club off the pitch, well, I suspect a small part of it would have been talking about this among other things.

Winks is the only one that I'd say went from the academy to fully blown first team player under Poch. Mason was sniffing around under Sherwood as well, but was obviously behind Kane and Bentaleb in the pecking order.

Also, as much as he is derided on here, Jose said the same things. He pushed for young players to go on loan so that they could get essential game time to develop. Skipp being the big success story coming out of that tenure obviously.

And Poch also talked about how the standards for youth players got higher the higher up the standings you got. Poch was just odd by not actually sending them out on loan. But his comments on expectations increasing were bang on.

I was talking from the point of stagnation, which Gold has intimated Conte is causing. When in fact, I back him as I said the other day, the loaning out of good youngsters is the only way to get them ready for a champions league club.

Remember when Conte said we need to start acting like a big club off the pitch, well, I suspect a small part of it would have been talking about this among other things.

I mean I'm fine with it anyway, I don't see many clubs playing players who aren't ready and they use the loan system to improve their young players so why can't we?

Also, as much as he is derided on here, Jose said the same things. He pushed for young players to go on loan so that they could get essential game time to develop. Skipp being the big success story coming out of that tenure obviously.

And Poch also talked about how the standards for youth players got higher the higher up the standings you got. Poch was just odd by not actually sending them out on loan. But his comments on expectations increasing were bang on.

I agree with this opinion. You can't ask for more than that. I'm in college now and have found http://essaypapers.reviews/ to solve everything. Because I don't have enough time for my hobby. I think I'm not the only one who does this, I also hope there are many people in solidarity with me.
it is true

Last edited:

Antonio Conte’s Spurs contract: Why the sudden change of signals?​

By Jack Pitt-Brooke

Normal life, of sorts, is returning to Tottenham Hotspur. Due to their lunchtime kick-off, they will be, along with Brentford, the team that restarts Premier League football after just over six weeks away. Ivan Perisic, Hugo Lloris and Cristian Romero will be the last three players to return to Hotspur Way — exactly when remains unclear as of Monday — and then they will have an almost full squad to choose from.

Spurs are gearing up for the remainder of their season in a good position. They are fourth in the Premier League, the position they finished last season and their minimum target for this one. They have a good points return and while they did not play especially well in the first part of the season, that feels like a long time ago.

Like everyone, they have the chance to start again on Boxing Day. They won a difficult Champions League group and face AC Milan in February, a tie that is a perfect combination of glamour and being winnable. Spurs have Dejan Kulusevski fit again after a frustrating hamstring injury that impeded the team’s ability to create chances in the autumn. There are causes for optimism here.

But there is another story going on in the background, one that is looming over Tottenham’s season (or will do until it is resolved). And that is a story that many Spurs fans are probably bored of by now: the story of Antonio Conte’s contract.

Conte, as we all know, only signed an 18-month deal when he joined Spurs in November 2021. That deal expires, as Conte has admitted himself, on June 30, 2023. Tottenham have an option they are confident they can activate but ideally they want to secure Conte to a new long-term deal.

Preliminary talks started during the first part of the season. The Athletic reported in October, approaching the one-year anniversary of Conte taking the job, that there was optimism a new deal could be agreed. That is still the case. Conte has returned to training full of his usual enthusiasm, commitment and energy, loving being back out on the pitch with the players.

But as talks resumed at the start of last week, the mood music has slightly changed. Sources close to key figures in the negotiations sound less optimistic than they did earlier in the season about the chances of a deal being reached.

The prospect of Conte leaving at the end of this season, which felt remote only a few months ago, is being raised again as a prospect. And if Conte left, it would mark the end of this mini-era at Spurs, forcing Daniel Levy to change direction once again.

So what could be holding the negotiations up? Conte is already very well paid by Spurs (he has himself admitted his “important salary”): £15million ($18.2m) per year.

He would like his good work at Tottenham to be rewarded and a figure of £20million has been discussed. A long-term contract on a salary that high would be a heavy commitment for Spurs and so the specifics of the divorce terms would be important. No club would want to be on the hook for tens of millions of pounds if they had to sack a manager with a lot of time left on his deal.

Salary has never been a sticking point between Conte and Levy in the past. When Levy first approached Conte to take the Spurs job in May 2021, that element was swiftly agreed, and it was only when Conte wondered whether Spurs could match his ambition to win, and sign the players that he needed, that he pulled out and decided to rest and recharge instead.

Eighteen months on, these are still the questions that hang over Conte’s relationship with Levy and Spurs. Conte has done very well to frame himself as the man who does not just want to win titles, but who is physically addicted to the very possibility of it. All he needs is a one per cent chance, as he puts it. Those who know Conte well often talk about competing and winning as a “drug” to him.

The question from Conte’s side is whether Levy needs to win like he does. Is that what motivates him? Or is he more focused on building up the brand of the club, securing its future by building infrastructure, and keeping them in the Champions League? Defenders of Levy would point out that he has always wanted Spurs to win, has taken them close a few times, and has had to compete with teams who spend far more than ENIC has been able to.

Connected to the question of how much Levy wants to win is the immediate issue of the forthcoming transfer window.

Conte wants reinforcements. He has seen the club fail to buy an elite right wing-back for two windows in a row and does not want it to happen a third time. But Pedro Porro, arguably the best fit on the market right now, is going to be expensive. Sporting Lisbon may not want to sell at all. And the indications are that Tottenham are not going to throw money around. It would frustrate a coach who believes he is a few players away from what he needs.

Spurs fans may well sympathise with Conte on this point, and often demand that Levy do everything to keep Conte happy. But the reality is that Levy has never broken a promise to Conte about spending, quite the opposite. Levy has repeatedly been clear with Conte in private that there is not a huge amount of money to spend. And he has sanctioned deals for Conte — Ivan Perisic on £180,000 per week, Richarlison for £60million — that he would not have done in the past. Levy and Conte knew what they were getting into when they hitched themselves to one another last year, even if it might sometimes suit them to pretend otherwise.

So how worried should Spurs fans be about these negative noises?

The first thing to remember is that we have been here before. Seven months ago, there was speculation about whether Conte would leave at the end of the 2021-22 season. He was given the opportunity every single week to kill the speculation and commit his future to the club, and he never did. The speculation was in his interest. At the very end of the season, the word was still that Conte was as likely to go as to stay. And then, after the end of the season, Conte stayed anyway.

Maybe this particular moment will be like that one. Complaints will be made on Conte’s behalf, the word will go out that Conte is not happy, that the club’s ambition does not match his own, that maybe he would be better off elsewhere. Conte understands the politics perfectly. He knows that he has the leverage in this relationship, that Levy needs to keep him happy, rather than the other way round, and that Levy will always have at the back of his mind the fans’ reaction if Conte does walk. For Conte to admit that he was happy and relaxed about the club’s plans going into a transfer window would be to just gift that leverage away.

So maybe this is another game of politics, Conte trying to force Levy into giving him what he wants. And maybe it will end with a deal, all handshakes and smiles and a big announcement on social media. Maybe the pressure will help to find the money for the players he wants in the January window. Or maybe this time the smoke points to a real fire. Conte could clear this all up when he speaks to the media in his press conference on Friday, but is it really in his interest to?

Antonio Conte’s Spurs contract: Why the sudden change of signals?​

By Jack Pitt-Brooke

Normal life, of sorts, is returning to Tottenham Hotspur. Due to their lunchtime kick-off, they will be, along with Brentford, the team that restarts Premier League football after just over six weeks away. Ivan Perisic, Hugo Lloris and Cristian Romero will be the last three players to return to Hotspur Way — exactly when remains unclear as of Monday — and then they will have an almost full squad to choose from.

Spurs are gearing up for the remainder of their season in a good position. They are fourth in the Premier League, the position they finished last season and their minimum target for this one. They have a good points return and while they did not play especially well in the first part of the season, that feels like a long time ago.

Like everyone, they have the chance to start again on Boxing Day. They won a difficult Champions League group and face AC Milan in February, a tie that is a perfect combination of glamour and being winnable. Spurs have Dejan Kulusevski fit again after a frustrating hamstring injury that impeded the team’s ability to create chances in the autumn. There are causes for optimism here.

But there is another story going on in the background, one that is looming over Tottenham’s season (or will do until it is resolved). And that is a story that many Spurs fans are probably bored of by now: the story of Antonio Conte’s contract.

Conte, as we all know, only signed an 18-month deal when he joined Spurs in November 2021. That deal expires, as Conte has admitted himself, on June 30, 2023. Tottenham have an option they are confident they can activate but ideally they want to secure Conte to a new long-term deal.

Preliminary talks started during the first part of the season. The Athletic reported in October, approaching the one-year anniversary of Conte taking the job, that there was optimism a new deal could be agreed. That is still the case. Conte has returned to training full of his usual enthusiasm, commitment and energy, loving being back out on the pitch with the players.

But as talks resumed at the start of last week, the mood music has slightly changed. Sources close to key figures in the negotiations sound less optimistic than they did earlier in the season about the chances of a deal being reached.

The prospect of Conte leaving at the end of this season, which felt remote only a few months ago, is being raised again as a prospect. And if Conte left, it would mark the end of this mini-era at Spurs, forcing Daniel Levy to change direction once again.

So what could be holding the negotiations up? Conte is already very well paid by Spurs (he has himself admitted his “important salary”): £15million ($18.2m) per year.

He would like his good work at Tottenham to be rewarded and a figure of £20million has been discussed. A long-term contract on a salary that high would be a heavy commitment for Spurs and so the specifics of the divorce terms would be important. No club would want to be on the hook for tens of millions of pounds if they had to sack a manager with a lot of time left on his deal.

Salary has never been a sticking point between Conte and Levy in the past. When Levy first approached Conte to take the Spurs job in May 2021, that element was swiftly agreed, and it was only when Conte wondered whether Spurs could match his ambition to win, and sign the players that he needed, that he pulled out and decided to rest and recharge instead.

Eighteen months on, these are still the questions that hang over Conte’s relationship with Levy and Spurs. Conte has done very well to frame himself as the man who does not just want to win titles, but who is physically addicted to the very possibility of it. All he needs is a one per cent chance, as he puts it. Those who know Conte well often talk about competing and winning as a “drug” to him.

The question from Conte’s side is whether Levy needs to win like he does. Is that what motivates him? Or is he more focused on building up the brand of the club, securing its future by building infrastructure, and keeping them in the Champions League? Defenders of Levy would point out that he has always wanted Spurs to win, has taken them close a few times, and has had to compete with teams who spend far more than ENIC has been able to.

Connected to the question of how much Levy wants to win is the immediate issue of the forthcoming transfer window.

Conte wants reinforcements. He has seen the club fail to buy an elite right wing-back for two windows in a row and does not want it to happen a third time. But Pedro Porro, arguably the best fit on the market right now, is going to be expensive. Sporting Lisbon may not want to sell at all. And the indications are that Tottenham are not going to throw money around. It would frustrate a coach who believes he is a few players away from what he needs.

Spurs fans may well sympathise with Conte on this point, and often demand that Levy do everything to keep Conte happy. But the reality is that Levy has never broken a promise to Conte about spending, quite the opposite. Levy has repeatedly been clear with Conte in private that there is not a huge amount of money to spend. And he has sanctioned deals for Conte — Ivan Perisic on £180,000 per week, Richarlison for £60million — that he would not have done in the past. Levy and Conte knew what they were getting into when they hitched themselves to one another last year, even if it might sometimes suit them to pretend otherwise.

So how worried should Spurs fans be about these negative noises?

The first thing to remember is that we have been here before. Seven months ago, there was speculation about whether Conte would leave at the end of the 2021-22 season. He was given the opportunity every single week to kill the speculation and commit his future to the club, and he never did. The speculation was in his interest. At the very end of the season, the word was still that Conte was as likely to go as to stay. And then, after the end of the season, Conte stayed anyway.

Maybe this particular moment will be like that one. Complaints will be made on Conte’s behalf, the word will go out that Conte is not happy, that the club’s ambition does not match his own, that maybe he would be better off elsewhere. Conte understands the politics perfectly. He knows that he has the leverage in this relationship, that Levy needs to keep him happy, rather than the other way round, and that Levy will always have at the back of his mind the fans’ reaction if Conte does walk. For Conte to admit that he was happy and relaxed about the club’s plans going into a transfer window would be to just gift that leverage away.

So maybe this is another game of politics, Conte trying to force Levy into giving him what he wants. And maybe it will end with a deal, all handshakes and smiles and a big announcement on social media. Maybe the pressure will help to find the money for the players he wants in the January window. Or maybe this time the smoke points to a real fire. Conte could clear this all up when he speaks to the media in his press conference on Friday, but is it really in his interest to?

"Levy and Conte knew what they were getting into when they hitched themselves to one another last year, even if it might sometimes suit them to pretend otherwise."

".....So maybe this is another game of politics,"

Indeed.

I think Sherwood did ok in his role as temp manager.

"Levy and Conte knew what they were getting into when they hitched themselves to one another last year, even if it might sometimes suit them to pretend otherwise."

Indeed.

If Conte goes it confirms there is no appetite from ENIC to do anything else but achieve top 4 and increase the value of the club. It will show there’s no ambition to win the biggest trophies. Now with the stadium there should be no excuse.

If Conte goes, so will Harry Kane. It should then be the current owners that follow suit because if they don’t act like a big club and support Conte then really, what is the point?

(But we’ve all said this from the start)

Indeed.

It's just brinkmanship between two stubborn dudes, someone will bite.

Tottenham offer Antonio Conte £1m-a-year pay rise to sign new deal

The Italian, who is already one of the best-paid managers in the world, is unlikely to rush into signing until he is sure he will be backed
Tottenham Hotspur are prepared to hand Antonio Conte a £1 million-a-year pay rise to sign a new contract and commit his future to the club.
But Spurs may face an anxious wait, as Conte is in no rush to sign a new deal. He wants Spurs to reaffirm the fact they share his ambition and must carefully consider his family who are still living in Italy.

Tottenham have opened talks with Conte over signing a new deal, with his current contract as head coach due to expire at the end of this season, although the club has an option to extend it by a further 12 months.
Conte joined Tottenham on a deal worth around £15m-a-year just over a year ago and last season guided the club into the top four of the Premier League table, qualifying for the Champions League.
This season, Spurs have already clinched a place in the knockout stages of the Champions League and were in fourth place in the table when the domestic season paused for the World Cup.
Tottenham have indicated they are ready to reward Conte for his fine work so far with a £1m-a-year pay rise, which they hope will be enough to help persuade him to stay.
Conte is already one of the best-paid managers in the world, but his salary will not be the only, or indeed the main, factor behind whether or not he signs a new contract.
Spurs are also thought to be ready to make up to two new signings in the January transfer window to help boost Conte’s squad with a defender and creative player expected to be high on the club’s wishlist.

Spurs must show they share Conte's ambition

Conte is unlikely to rush into signing a new contract until he is confident he will be backed, not just in January but also in the summer transfer window. He must also consider the wishes of his family.
The former Chelsea head coach is adamant that Tottenham must demonstrate they share his ambition to win major trophies and challenge at the top of the league.
Conte has been consistently linked with a return to Juventus, but the Italian club are facing numerous financial problems and last month saw their entire board resign.

It remains to be seen whether or not the future of Harry Kane is linked to that of Conte. The England captain has a contract that expires in the summer of 2024 and is a reported target of Bayern Munich.
Seeing Conte sign a new deal would certainly help to convince Kane that Tottenham are serious about winning trophies, but the 29-year-old is facing a huge decision over whether or not to commit himself to Spurs.
England’s elimination from the World Cup means Kane is still yet to win a trophy in his career and he must also get over the pain of missing the penalty that would have drawn his country level against France in the quarter-final.

Kane will not have to see France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris again until next week after the 35-year-old played in the World Cup final against Argentina.
Tottenham restart their season away at Brentford on Boxing Day and may need Kane to quickly rediscover his best form with Richarlison nursing a hamstring injury he suffered in Qatar.
Conte also has injury concerns over Rodrigo Bentancur, who is suspended for the Brentford game, and defender Ben Davies from the World Cup, while Son Heung-min is likely to have to keep wearing his protective mask.

Indeed.
Christ, can you tell that the nerds at the Athletic have nothing to write about between the end of the WC and the return of the PL? What a fucking pointless article...

"So how worried should Spurs fans be about these negative noises... that we have literally concocted out of thin air with nothing actually having been said by either Spurs or Conte...."

"So maybe this is another game of politics, Conte trying to force Levy into giving him what he wants. And maybe it will end with a deal, all handshakes and smiles and a big announcement on social media. Maybe the pressure will help to find the money for the players he wants in the January window. Or maybe this time the smoke points to a real fire. Conte could clear this all up when he speaks to the media in his press conference on Friday, but is it really in his interest to?"

Fucking maybe you fucking geeks, people pay for this shit do they??

Unfortunately this has been the plan all along from that parasite cunt Levy. Show the fans you are trying to sign Conte a new deal, but secretly behind the scenes giving Conte the news that he won’t be backed like he wants, which inevitably means Conte won’t sign and will leave end of the season. Levy will then appoint his yes man Pochettino, which will appease enough nostalgic supporters to make it plausible, yet won’t back Pochettino either. Rinse and repeat. I am sick to death of this fucking bald cunt and the parasite owners.

It's just brinkmanship between two stubborn dudes, someone will bite.

Christ, can you tell that the nerds at the Athletic have nothing to write about between the end of the WC and the return of the PL? What a fucking pointless article...

"So how worried should Spurs fans be about these negative noises... that we have literally concocted out of thin air with nothing actually having been said by either Spurs or Conte...."

"So maybe this is another game of politics, Conte trying to force Levy into giving him what he wants. And maybe it will end with a deal, all handshakes and smiles and a big announcement on social media. Maybe the pressure will help to find the money for the players he wants in the January window. Or maybe this time the smoke points to a real fire. Conte could clear this all up when he speaks to the media in his press conference on Friday, but is it really in his interest to?"

Fucking maybe you fucking geeks, people pay for this shit do they??

The trauma hounds will characteristically lap it all up like a shot...... (See trf thread.)

EDIT:

Oooh look.... Here they come now.

Unfortunately this has been the plan all along from that parasite cunt Levy. Show the fans you are trying to sign Conte a new deal, but secretly behind the scenes giving Conte the news that he won’t be backed like he wants, which inevitably means Conte won’t sign and will leave end of the season. Levy will then appoint his yes man Pochettino, which will appease enough nostalgic supporters to make it plausible, yet won’t back Pochettino either. Rinse and repeat. I am sick to death of this fucking bald cunt and the parasite owners.

:harrysmile:

Back
Top Bottom