Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The players deserve more heat than Conte. He’s said he wants them to play with personality on the ball but they are still too eager to play safety first passes.

No doubt Conte plays defence-first football like all Italian managers but he wants us to be aggressive with the ball. I don’t believe he is happy with some of the timid football that we are playing. I’m his vision of the game we either sit deep and defend stoutly or we move the ball quickly with killer intent.

The kind of zombie possession play we did for the first hour today is not his type of football. Not when the game is only 1-0 and the opponent is as shit as West Ham. He’s spoken a lot recently about how he want us to “kill” the opponent and the players aren’t doing it. You kill them with goals, there is no other way.

You reckon if it went to 98 minutes, we’d have scored? I was relieved it was only 4. We were hanging on.
Nqh that's not the problem. To be fair if we have played 50 more, we probably wouldn't have score.
Only Zouma stayed on the ground for a good 2-3 minutes. And their GK was taking like 1 minute every time was goal kick ....

Conte is in danger of being a victim of his own success. A scrappy point at West Ham is not a bad result. Needs to nut up and not play the same 11 every minute though - should have chucked on Spence or Doherty and Skipp, even if he was happy to scrap out a point.

It's not so much the result, bar from the first game, our game is dog****. You have dog***** game it will cost you sooner rather than later. Our game is just not good enough. Nothing to do with the results, that so far have been solid.

There’s a bit too much back slapping about how we’re 8 points up on last season. We lost at home to both Wolves and Southampton last season. In the worst days of the 90’s and early 00’s, I’d have been expecting home wins over Wolves and Southampton.

We’ve picked up a point against both Chavs and Spammers - both of whom have been largely shit in their first 5 league games, outside of playing us.

Three points and a good performance badly needed against Fulham on Saturday before the trip to Citeh.

The football has been diabolical so far this season. Play like that again this weekend and I gurantee the fans are going to be very frustrated and on the players backs. It's the same football let's be honest we got champions league last year because of a Woolwich capitulation. The football we are currently watching is fucking shit and if you'd like to give me examples of how it's not and it's not negative I'm all ears.
the frustrating thing is the football could be so much better. emerson has been good at defending but when it comes to football hes found wanting. we played with 3 CB donkeys today who cant string competent passes together! you watch a good sides defence knock the ball about compared to them 3 today, its night a day, thats the foundation of the attack and its sloppy from the off so the rest of the attack suffers as a result from the defence not being technically good enough....then hes persisting with son in a serious rut where calling him a passenger is being more than kind, yet we got a 60 million quid brazilian #9 on the bench...doesnt make sense.

whats the point of having lengelt if we are going to play the 3 donkeys tonight? beyond baffling too.

There’s a bit too much back slapping about how we’re 8 points up on last season. We lost at home to both Wolves and Southampton last season. In the worst days of the 90’s and early 00’s, I’d have been expecting home wins over Wolves and Southampton.

We’ve picked up a point against both Chavs and Spammers - both of whom have been largely shit in their first 5 league games, outside of playing us.

Three points and a good performance badly needed against Fulham on Saturday before the trip to Citeh.

I mean it's a pretty good metric to go off.

Woolwich, for all their plaudits, are only +3 up on last seasons fixtures. They're effectively beating the teams they also beat last season when no one in the press gave a shit about them.

You can expect home wins over Southampton and Wolves but the facts are we lost them last season. You can say Chelsea and West Ham have been shit this season, but they still raise their games for us. We've won once at Stamford Bridge in 30+ years, I'll take that point and an improvement in result every single time.

I feel like I'm watching the same kind of football as I was under Jose. Negative and hope kane or Son pull something out the bag. Even last season we played the same way but got results. He needs to stop letting kane do whatever the fuck he wants and get him up top and in and around the box. Make the opposition think sometimes start with an extra midfielder and go with a back 4. I could go on but right now I'm not really happy with what I'm seeing on the pitch and feel we've been extremely lucky do far this season but that luck will run out.
The performances so far this season have been rather underwhelming, I agree that the football has looked similar to that endured by us under Mourinho and Nuno. Conte is yet another in a line of pragmatic managers that don’t suit the traditional Spurs way of playing. All three managers are stubborn and are late to change things both in terms of substitutions and tactics, All 3 only seem to have a plan A. Conte however has spent a lot of money and has a better squad than the previous two incumbents. He has been very slow in embedding several of these new players when compared for example to Eddie Howe at Newcastle who threw in Isaak today who I think had just arrived and scored on his debut. Similarly, Arteta and Guardiola have not held back in playing their new players to great effect.
We are in desperate need of a creative midfielder yet even if bought would Conte take ages to bed him in?
I am not enamoured with him so far

The players deserve more heat than Conte. He’s said he wants them to play with personality on the ball but they are still too eager to play safety first passes.

No doubt Conte plays defence-first football like all Italian managers but he wants us to be aggressive with the ball. I don’t believe he is happy with some of the timid football that we are playing. I’m his vision of the game we either sit deep and defend stoutly or we move the ball quickly with killer intent.

The kind of zombie possession play we did for the first hour today is not his type of football. Not when the game is only 1-0 and the opponent is as shit as West Ham. He’s spoken a lot recently about how he want us to “kill” the opponent and the players aren’t doing it. You kill them with goals, there is no other way.
If he is not happy with the play and wants something different then he needs to make changes to the 11. He's been very reluctant to do so and if he continues to stick with same players, the heat will rightly turn to him.

Bad football and short of ideas. Also some of our best players aren't performing this season, Kane despite the 4 goals, wasn't particularly good in any game, Son is nowhere to be seen. Royal is shite and keep on being the only option for RWB. Changes need to be done asap.

“Conte knows best”, I agree with that, but he’s got to be more willing to change the system during the match.

It worked great against Chelsea, tonight we needed something similar, but he decided against it.

“Conte knows best”, I agree with that, but he’s got to be more willing to change the system during the match.

It worked great against Chelsea, tonight we needed something similar, but he decided against it.

He changed it against Chelsea because they completely nullified his favoured formation. Even then, he changed it far too late.

West Ham didn't do that today, so Conte had no reason to switch it up. He absolutely should have made subs earlier though and got more energy into the game. I assume Skipp was no where near fit because him and Richarlison should have been brought on about the 55th minute.

the frustrating thing is the football could be so much better. emerson has been good at defending but when it comes to football hes found wanting. we played with 3 CB donkeys today who cant string competent passes together! you watch a good sides defence knock the ball about compared to them 3 today, its night a day, thats the foundation of the attack and its sloppy from the off so the rest of the attack suffers as a result from the defence not being technically good enough....then hes persisting with son in a serious rut where calling him a passenger is being more than kind, yet we got a 60 million quid brazilian #9 on the bench...doesnt make sense.

whats the point of having lengelt if we are going to play the 3 donkeys tonight? beyond baffling too.
West ham were completely there for the taking tonight but we gave them the initiate with our negative tentative play. I think conte needs to tweak what he's doing because it's not working right now. Sacrifice a defender and go with a 3 in the middle and allow bissouma to be the player he was at Brighton. Give Doherty or Spence a go for attacking output on the right. Stick kane up as a 9 and get the midfielders to do the midfielders job.

West ham were completely there for the taking tonight but we gave them the initiate with our negative tentative play. I think conte needs to tweak what he's doing because it's not working right now. Sacrifice a defender and go with a 3 in the middle and allow bissouma to be the player he was at Brighton. Give Doherty or Spence a go for attacking output on the right. Stick kane up as a 9 and get the midfielders to do the midfielders job.
hes got the options to change it up and try different things, we are always gonna struggle to break a team down with that set up and personnel today. i think emerson has got a lot better but hes still not good enough going forward and hes never going to be as its just not his game, that wing back position is vital in providing some attacking quality in this system, couple that with a passenger in son and we are 2 men down going forward, its always going to be a struggle.

I mean it's a pretty good metric to go off.

Woolwich, for all their plaudits, are only +3 up on last seasons fixtures. They're effectively beating the teams they also beat last season when no one in the press gave a shit about them.

You can expect home wins over Southampton and Wolves but the facts are we lost them last season. You can say Chelsea and West Ham have been shit this season, but they still raise their games for us. We've won once at Stamford Bridge in 30+ years, I'll take that point and an improvement in result every single time.

Spot on.

My only concern is the problems Conte has when his teams have to play twice a week.

Apart from that some of the opinions in here are fucking terrible. Some people not impressed with Conte? I think this sport might not be for you.

Spot on.

My only concern is the problems Conte has when his teams have to play twice a week.

Apart from that some of the opinions in here are fucking terrible. Some people not impressed with Conte? I think this sport might not be for you.

Always a worry.

Conte is notoriously known as being pretty poor in Europe too.

We saw how his Chelsea side dealt with two games a week following a terrific title winning campaign that saw them pretty much play one game a week all season due to no European football.

Spot on.

There's been a distinct lack of intensity in games in a few of the games so far. Large periods of the game pass us by. The first halves vs Chelsea & Wolves & the second half vs West Ham especially. Entire halfs of absolutely nothing.

Conte won't be pleased at all with it. Our chance creation from open play in these matches hasn't been nearly up to his standards. We're slow & predictable in possession too often and the surgical counter attacks have been too few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom