Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because Conte has been brilliant for us since joining us.

He has been just really, really shit against Chelsea and has gotten it completely wrong on every occasion we have played them. And that's what I'm calling out.

He's not a God, he will make mistakes and yesterday he made mistakes, which as a direct result cost us the ability to at least get a point from the game. If you think one of the reasons we lost (didn't get a point or even compete better than we did) was because he had us play in a system we don't offend play, then that too is on his head and a possible mistake by him.

"move on"??? There's nothing to move on from. I'm making a post-match comment on a game as I tend to do most games win, lose or draw.

I'm a huge fan of his but that shouldn't detract me or anyone else questioning what he did, or why he did it.
People who are dissagreing.........

Were you happy he played Golini in the semi-final against the chavs? Was this the right call? Did this selection work for or against us in the games?

one good thing about Conte is that he clears up who in the squad is useful. Players like Ndombele, Dele etc won’t ever be played again most likely even if they stay.

This forces the board to sell and move them on. So much of our issues have come form players we haven’t moved on in the past due to valuation not be meet leaving a stagnant squad.

So far it seems Conte trusts to a degree the below plus at a push Tanganga & Sanchez & Sessegnon & Doherty but that feels more emergency. So that’s 13 players he seems happy to use, far too small.

Lloris
Romero
Dier
Davies
Skipp
Winks
Hojbjerg
Emerson
Regulion
Kane
Lucas
Son
Bergwijn

Because Conte has been brilliant for us since joining us.

He has been just really, really shit against Chelsea and has gotten it completely wrong on every occasion we have played them. And that's what I'm calling out.

He's not a God, he will make mistakes and yesterday he made mistakes, which as a direct result cost us the ability to at least get a point from the game. If you think one of the reasons we lost (didn't get a point or even compete better than we did) was because he had us play in a system we don't offend play, then that too is on his head and a possible mistake by him.

"move on"??? There's nothing to move on from. I'm making a post-match comment on a game as I tend to do most games win, lose or draw.

I'm a huge fan of his but that shouldn't detract me or anyone else questioning what he did, or why he did it.
I can't agree with you, sorry.
If he is stupid he will try the same thing again. I don't see how anyone can blame Conte for our lose against Chelsea, when he tried different thing. You are supposed to do that when you lose 2 times against them already, it doesn't matter if its 1-0, 2-0 or 3-0.

He did tried with the players you say that should have played, which is always ***** to say this, after the final gong.

As far as Everton and Brighton, can you even make a difference? This is London derby, Chelsea always jump big time on it, and obviously after bad results, they will want to get the win, especially that it's a direct top 4 battle. Against Everyon, Brighton and so on, they may not be that much motivated and slip, as it happen.
But using x or y match, and claiming we should have won based on that is just bad football knowledge, cause football and sport as a whole doesn't work like that.

The manager is with the players, and can see how they perform, who is fit, and who is not, and we had players that are on the bench, but are not fit to start, you obviously have hard time accepting this.
On top of that all week the team has been prepared for the opponent. So changing your defense midgame may not be a smart choice, and not more than not, not going to work.

We see like 10% of what is happening, and so. There is so much more to influence a decision of which player are going to play and etc.

I can't agree with you, sorry.
If he is stupid he will try the same thing again. I don't see how anyone can blame Conte for our lose against Chelsea, when he tried different thing. You are supposed to do that when you lose 2 times against them already, it doesn't matter if its 1-0, 2-0 or 3-0.

He did tried with the players you say that should have played, which is always ***** to say this, after the final gong.

As far as Everton and Brighton, can you even make a difference? This is London derby, Chelsea always jump big time on it, and obviously after bad results, they will want to get the win, especially that it's a direct top 4 battle. Against Everyon, Brighton and so on, they may not be that much motivated and slip, as it happen.
But using x or y match, and claiming we should have won based on that is just bad football knowledge, cause football and sport as a whole doesn't work like that.

The manager is with the players, and can see how they perform, who is fit, and who is not, and we had players that are on the bench, but are not fit to start, you obviously have hard time accepting this.
On top of that all week the team has been prepared for the opponent. So changing your defense midgame may not be a smart choice, and not more than not, not going to work.

We see like 10% of what is happening, and so. There is so much more to influence a decision of which player are going to play and etc.

Please read and understand what I posted: I said UNDERSTOOD why he played Tanganga (because Emerson was carrying an injury, it's why he took him off at halftime vs Leicester) I actually fucking wrote this!!! I was HIGHLY critical of why he kept Tanganaga on the field though after he was on a yellow. Tanganaga has been one of our worse-performing players this season, (not his fault he's just currently out of his depth). His only real quality is his battle spirit, he's always trying to affect the game physically (he still loses most of his individual duels though), be leaving him on his only quality, his physicality, is now totally redundant, he is a walking red card (other players can navigate this, but this is all that Tanganga has got), unable to make any sort of challenge.

Again, read what I've posted. My expectation was for us NOT to win this game, it was for us to get a draw.

Our best games have been when playing a 3-5-2. I would have expected that our best chance to draw the game would have been to play the formation where we've been the best at.

Going into a game to sit off, frustrate the oppo and try to pick them off on the counter is a strategy. I get this and also accept this. But when the oppo score (though a move they had been attempting all game to that point) the game plan is over. This strategy only works if the oppo doesn't score, they scored and it meant were fucked.

This is on the manager. We lost because of how the manager set up. It's literally the only way to view this.

This doesn't change my view of him. He's a fantastic manager (a top 5 in the World Manager). He's exceeded all my expectations on what he's done at Tottenham in such a short space of time. I'm a massive fan of his.

This doesn't stop me from calling out my opinion on where I think he went wrong or where he got things right.

So, my main critique isn't necessarily the personal selected (although I will 100% call out the selection of Golini in the semi's), it's how he had us set up.

Did you agree with Golini's selection? And do you think that selection played a part in our losses in both semi-finals? I do.

one good thing about Conte is that he clears up who in the squad is useful. Players like Ndombele, Dele etc won’t ever be played again most likely even if they stay.

This forces the board to sell and move them on. So much of our issues have come form players we haven’t moved on in the past due to valuation not be meet leaving a stagnant squad.

So far it seems Conte trusts to a degree the below plus at a push Tanganga & Sanchez & Sessegnon & Doherty but that feels more emergency. So that’s 13 players he seems happy to use, far too small.

Lloris
Romero
Dier
Davies
Skipp
Winks
Hojbjerg
Emerson
Regulion
Kane
Lucas
Son
Bergwijn

The board has undermined every single manager by not selling players

Has anyone considered what will happen if Ndombele, Alli and Lo Soso are still here Feb 1st?

Please read and understand what I posted: I said UNDERSTOOD why he played Tanganga (because Emerson was carrying an injury, it's why he took him off at halftime vs Leicester) I actually fucking wrote this!!! I was HIGHLY critical of why he kept Tanganaga on the field though after he was on a yellow. Tanganaga has been one of our worse-performing players this season, (not his fault he's just currently out of his depth). His only real quality is his battle spirit, he's always trying to affect the game physically (he still loses most of his individual duels though), be leaving him on his only quality, his physicality, is now totally redundant, he is a walking red card (other players can navigate this, but this is all that Tanganga has got), unable to make any sort of challenge.

Again, read what I've posted. My expectation was for us NOT to win this game, it was for us to get a draw.

Our best games have been when playing a 3-5-2. I would have expected that our best chance to draw the game would have been to play the formation where we've been the best at.

Going into a game to sit off, frustrate the oppo and try to pick them off on the counter is a strategy. I get this and also accept this. But when the oppo score (though a move they had been attempting all game to that point) the game plan is over. This strategy only works if the oppo doesn't score, they scored and it meant were fucked.

This is on the manager. We lost because of how the manager set up. It's literally the only way to view this.

This doesn't change my view of him. He's a fantastic manager (a top 5 in the World Manager). He's exceeded all my expectations on what he's done at Tottenham in such a short space of time. I'm a massive fan of his.

This doesn't stop me from calling out my opinion on where I think he went wrong or where he got things right.

So, my main critique isn't necessarily the personal selected (although I will 100% call out the selection of Golini in the semi's), it's how he had us set up.

Did you agree with Golini's selection? And do you think that selection played a part in our losses in both semi-finals? I do.
Now if Conte has a better options i doubt he will play Tanganga. Maybe you should read my post again?
While some people was on the bench, they wasn't ready. We don't know the whole story again. Maybe other we don't know wasn't as fit, or not showing enough on the training pitch.
Again we are seeing 10%.
Conte is a guy who usually play the guys that are most inform, and are doing good in the training ground.

The change of the system was obviously because we already lost twice, and he may have try to surprise them.

And if we to be fair, if the goal of Kane was not disallowed, as it should have not been, the game become completely different.

And no we lost, cause we got **** average players, mostly, and most of them doesn't have the quality to be at any club at top 10 in PL.

Now if Conte has a better options i doubt he will play Tanganga. Maybe you should read my post again?
While some people was on the bench, they wasn't ready. We don't know the whole story again. Maybe other we don't know wasn't as fit, or not showing enough on the training pitch.
Again we are seeing 10%.
Conte is a guy who usually play the guys that are most inform, and are doing good in the training ground.

The change of the system was obviously because we already lost twice, and he may have try to surprise them.

And if we to be fair, if the goal of Kane was not disallowed, as it should have not been, the game become completely different.

And no we lost, cause we got **** average players, mostly, and most of them doesn't have the quality to be at any club at top 10 in PL.
Conte has come out and said Emerson wasn't fit, he played the first half whilst unfit but took him off at halftime as he was struggling with his fitness. This he has confirmed.

So it was logical he was going to play Tanganaga.

His plan failed, they scored. When you set up to frustrate your opponent it means you have to do just that, Mason was more successful in doing it against City (by virtue of holding out longer before the gaol came) but absolute pelters from fans, Conte it seems is totally immune to such criticism, seem a tad unfair to me. The moment they scored Conte's plan was fucked, we were fucked.

He could have still played the formation that has provided some excellent performances with the personnel he started the game with, with us pressing an oppo aggressively from a mid-block instead of a low-block. evidence supports that we stood a better chance. Evidence supports that we're not very good when playing 4ATB whilst sitting in a low block.

Did his surprise tactics work? I know that Tuchel surprised us in the first leg of the league cup, outfoxed Conte in that game too (he didn't change anything to counter it that night which wasn't very good).

We finished under the worst manager I've seen at the helm for over 20yrs finished 7th last year, so these average players not having the quality to finish in the top 10 is simply utter bollocks! Conte has the same players currently performing as the 2nd best in form team in the league so again, just utter bollocks.

We are miles off from challenging for a title, but so too are Chelsea, who are far better than us BUT absolutely not unplayable as they are already 10 points behind City who also have a game in hand on them, Liverpool have two games in hand on them and are also still ahead. Before playing us they had just ONE win in their last 7 games! We didn't really give them a game (we absolutely didn't in the Legaue Cup, where we were thoroughly outclassed).

I think he was comprehensively outsmarted by Tuchel in the first leg, just outplayed in 2nd where we were lacking in any belief. And at the weekend he got it wrong again tactically, specifically not playing a game to our strengths, which would have at least seen us compete better.

Yes, Tuchel has a massive advantage in that he's had much longer with the players at his disposal and yes the squad at his disposal has quality throughout including their bench. But we didn't compete anywhere good enough as Wolves, Brighton (twice) & Everton.

Not expecting a win, at best I'm expecting a performance and a draw.

People who are dissagreing.........

Were you happy he played Golini in the semi-final against the chavs? Was this the right call? Did this selection work for or against us in the games?

Didn't make a difference at all. Couldn't care less who he started in goal for that game there was no way we were scoring enough goals to come back in that game anyways.

The Chelsea loss had nothing to do with tactics and everything to do with us having a dog shit squad, especially MF, that can't compete.

Conte has come out and said Emerson wasn't fit, he played the first half whilst unfit but took him off at halftime as he was struggling with his fitness. This he has confirmed.

So it was logical he was going to play Tanganaga.

His plan failed, they scored. When you set up to frustrate your opponent it means you have to do just that, Mason was more successful in doing it against City (by virtue of holding out longer before the gaol came) but absolute pelters from fans, Conte it seems is totally immune to such criticism, seem a tad unfair to me. The moment they scored Conte's plan was fucked, we were fucked.

He could have still played the formation that has provided some excellent performances with the personnel he started the game with, with us pressing an oppo aggressively from a mid-block instead of a low-block. evidence supports that we stood a better chance. Evidence supports that we're not very good when playing 4ATB whilst sitting in a low block.

Did his surprise tactics work? I know that Tuchel surprised us in the first leg of the league cup, outfoxed Conte in that game too (he didn't change anything to counter it that night which wasn't very good).

We finished under the worst manager I've seen at the helm for over 20yrs finished 7th last year, so these average players not having the quality to finish in the top 10 is simply utter bollocks! Conte has the same players currently performing as the 2nd best in form team in the league so again, just utter bollocks.

We are miles off from challenging for a title, but so too are Chelsea, who are far better than us BUT absolutely not unplayable as they are already 10 points behind City who also have a game in hand on them, Liverpool have two games in hand on them and are also still ahead. Before playing us they had just ONE win in their last 7 games! We didn't really give them a game (we absolutely didn't in the Legaue Cup, where we were thoroughly outclassed).

I think he was comprehensively outsmarted by Tuchel in the first leg, just outplayed in 2nd where we were lacking in any belief. And at the weekend he got it wrong again tactically, specifically not playing a game to our strengths, which would have at least seen us compete better.

Yes, Tuchel has a massive advantage in that he's had much longer with the players at his disposal and yes the squad at his disposal has quality throughout including their bench. But we didn't compete anywhere good enough as Wolves, Brighton (twice) & Everton.

Not expecting a win, at best I'm expecting a performance and a draw.

You can have your opinion, but you shouldn't get mad when people don't agree with you. And i really tried, but that is just too damn long over a discussion that i completely disagree, so sorry but tldr.

Your team was a bit passive in the first half and very different in the second, what did you say to them at half-time?

It was not just about saying, it was also about the plan. Liverpool have worked with this coach for about five years. The players are totally adapted physically to the football he wants to play and this is very important thing. Sometimes when people talk about physical condition, the important thing in football is that the physical condition is adapted to the way the team wants to play.

If we try to play the way we did in the last 20 minutes, if we try to play that way from the beginning, I think we collapse because the players are not used to playing with this style and they are not adapted.

On top of that we don't have many solutions and I think difficulty in midfield. Eriksen played central midfield with Harry Winks. You know, Jordan Henderson, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, intensity, difficult.

So I think our plan was good. What we didn't plan was to concede a goal obviously. But we knew that without a striker, with creative players, even with Lamela, without starting a game for three months and being away for two months, we knew that Lamela, Giovani, they could for 25, 30 minutes turn the game. I think we did the maximum we could do. I think we deserved more. That's my feeling.

Just checking...... Are large amounts of posters still ignoring the last minute injury concerns about Skipp, Reg, Emerson & Lucas in their criticism of our starting XI vs the racists?

Yeh, leaving Japh on after HT proved to be a bad call, but the rest of the flack being dished out is bogus.

Again we are seeing 10%.

Conte did have better options though, he had Royal on the bench and he had Doherty who could have played RB - had he did that he could have started with Lucas on the RM

The injury excuse doesn't wash with me because firstly if they were that injured they wouldn't be on the bench in the 1st place, secondly we already know that Gio wasn't injured and he was dropped so the club can lie for their own benefit.

And what was he resting players for anyway, he said they had knocks but it's not as if we have games coming up, we have a winter break ffs lol

It's not the first time he's done this BTW, my Chelsea supporting mate told me he did the same at Chelsea and played Jeremy Boga up front because they taking time securing the Morata deal lol

It's nothing new BTW coaches do this all the time, they play politics with the board in order to put pressure on them, Redknapp done this before as did Jose and Poch.

Conte did have better options though, he had Royal on the bench and he had Doherty who could have played RB - had he did that he could have started with Lucas on the RM

The injury excuse doesn't wash with me because firstly if they were that injured they wouldn't be on the bench in the 1st place,

There being degrees of injury is a fairly basic concept....... If you're carrying a knock or a twist; you might be able to drag 15-20mins out of a player even thought they're not fit enough to start and build your system upon.

You know players have been know to have pain-killing injections to facilitate an appearance too?

So no, fitness it's not an 'all or nothing' scenario.

secondly we already know that Gio wasn't injured and he was dropped

Yeh, fuck him too.

so the club can lie for their own benefit.

Huh?

And what was he resting players for anyway, he said they had knocks but it's not as if we have games coming up, we have a winter break ffs lol

Trying to allow players to recover (and avoid agrivating a minor injury) is not "resting" players.

It's not the first time he's done this BTW, my Chelsea supporting mate told me he did the same at Chelsea and played Jeremy Boga up front because they taking time securing the Morata deal lol

Well that's it's own scenario.

None of Lucas, Reg, Emerson or Skipp are being lined up for sale so this is moot.

It's nothing new BTW coaches do this all the time, they play politics with the board in order to put pressure on them, Redknapp done this before as did Jose and Poch.

Nowhere near as much and as casually as you're suggesting.

Airfixx Airfixx Yeah some fair points but then surely you'd start with your strongest team, if you're only able to give players certain amount of mins why start weak and then go strong once the game is out of reach?

The point about Gio was that the club declared him injured and he said he wasn't, it's not against the realms of possibility that the club were lying, at least in that case someone was. So if going by what Gio said (who funnily enough is fit enough to be called up by Argentina) it shows you injured could be fabricated for one's benefit.

And why did we start with a formation that was alien to the players? He could have played with his usual 3 at the back with the players he picked but he went with a flat 4-4-2 with 4 full backs and 0 creativity, we were never going to score or create chances, an experienced coach like that doesn't just change formation and plays on the back foot and play players out of position in the process.

Nah it's not moot as all...the point about the Chelsea example is that he has form for it to put pressure on the board

The fact that our last 3 managers have done it kinda tells you it's more than a casual thing.

Airfixx Airfixx Yeah some fair points but then surely you'd start with your strongest team, if you're only able to give players certain amount of mins why start weak and then go strong once the game is out of reach?

You proceed in hope that you can get through without the injured players getting played.

If players have only got 20mins in them the making subs 20mins into a game makes no sense when tactically one always seeks to establish an initial degree of stability. Conversely, you can play them against tired legs towards the end.

The point about Gio was that the club declared him injured and he said he wasn't, it's not against the realms of possibility that the club were lying, at least in that case someone was. So if going by what Gio said (who funnily enough is fit enough to be called up by Argentina) it shows you injured could be fabricated for one's benefit.

I'm still lost..... What lies? No-one declared him unfit to play the chavs...... Conte has just bombed him out of the squad like Ndombele.

Personally, I support that decision, but if you'd have prefered him on the bench then touché.

And why did we start with a formation that was alien to the players? He could have played with his usual 3 at the back with the players he picked but he went with a flat 4-4-2 with 4 full backs and 0 creativity,

He presumably felt that we weren't strong enough at the back without:

Dier, Romer, Skipp, Reg, Emerson (That's 5/6 of our best defensive players).

I don't think that him being versatile enough to address the squad issues at hand was a bad thing......

we were never going to score or create chances,

Ref fuckery aside; we did score. A per my OG post; I'd have liked to have seen changes at HT, but the plan worked for the most part for the first 45m..... Yes they dominated the ball, but we'd limited them to little. We didn't merely park the bus either...... I think some peeps are wrongly hung up on the "4 FBs" thing.

an experienced coach like that doesn't just change formation and plays on the back foot and play players out of position in the process.

(See above...)

Lets face it:

Japh / Sissoko / Davies
Doherty / Winks / PEH / Sess
Berg / Kane / Gill

Would have got smashed...... We'd already lost 2 games vs Chavski in recent weeks; why not try something else?

Nah it's not moot as all...the point about the Chelsea example is that he has form for it to put pressure on the board.....

You said it was about a player being protected for transfer purposes..... That's not politicking..... That's typically boardroom-driven.

The fact that our last 3 managers have done it kinda tells you it's more than a casual thing.

"MORE" than a casual thing? ....I suspect you've phrased that badly.

(Perhaps you have specific, regular instances of it happening at Spurs in mind?)

I’ve been watching the juventus documentary and Pirlo talked about conte a couple times basically saying that conte explains everything about the opposition to the player which makes it much easier and that he Trains the players in a way in which they learn and memorize plays. And have to follow the patterns he teaches every time. Says he’s also a very passionate and hard man

Back
Top Bottom