Amazon fly-on-the-wall documentary about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck me you're good.

Why don't you solve world hunger, poverty, Covid-19 and everything else in your next post.
Done that.... months ago.

tenor.gif

OK - I've finally managed to watch the first three episodes in their entirety.
For full disclosure, I'm a documentary maker, having directed over 20 hours of network broadcast films for all the BBC channels, Channel 4, NatGeo, Discovery etc before leaving the industry in disgust at corporate working practices.
I have a top level observation.
There is no such thing as a "fly on the wall" documentary. Everything broadcast on network TV is edited. Editing creates meaning, narratives, And when I say "creates", editing can quite literally change what happened by 180 degrees. It's one of the reasons I left network TV, because I have red lines I'm not prepared to cross.
The only real "fly on the wall" is some geezer turning on the camera on his mobile phone and recording three minutes of actual uninterrupted footage before hitting Stop. And we all know if another person is filming with their mobile from a different angle, perhaps starting a minute earlier, and you compare those two unedited pieces of footage, then they may tell two very different stories.
So, "All or Nothing" is artifice. A constructed narrative. It is not "pure reality", whatever that means.
Reaction shots and cutaways may be edited in from different settings and time periods to create the mood or emotion that the director, and whoever (Levy?) had ultimate editorial control, desired.
But, having said this, the series has an incredible level of access to certain events. You do feel inside the dressing room, and key meetings, and that is compelling, especially for us Spurs fans.
The footage with Dier after he's subbed on 29 minutes, and with Sonny after the chavski red card. is astonishing access. These are incredibly emotional moments for both players alone in the dressing room, and we are shown it.
Also, getting snatches of the 1:1 meetings between Mourinho and Kane, Dele, Dier is revealing and fascinating, even though the scenes have been edited to create a certain narrative.
Kane wants to be a global superstar and Mourinho wants to help him. Dele is a lazy trainer and inconsistent, and Mourinho tells him careers are short. Mourinho deliberately speaks with Dier in Portuguese, and Dier responds fluently and articulately.
However, just as important is what is omitted, what we don't see.
So, we don't see the 1:1 between Eriksen and Mourinho.
What we are shown is Levy speaking with Mourinho and saying, I paraphrase, "Eriksen is controlled by his agent and none of us know what he really thinks". Levy then encourages Mourinho to have one last attempt at persuading him to stay. Amusingly, in the edit, they could not find any footage of an enthusiastic Jose agreeing to do so.
So, in short, there is some compelling and revealing access which lets us see our Spurs players and coaches at their most vulnerable. And in real situations, such as half time in matches we watched live.
There are also events , such as the Eriksen contract situation, where we are not shown what happens and instead are given a narrative constructed around some exchanges between Levy and Mourinho.
I look forward, with some trepidation, to the rest of the series.
Just curious what did you do for Discovery? I was an op manager there might have approved Commision on your work. Best know so I don’t make that mistake again (only joking) still would like to know

And yet some on here, and the wider community, think this "documentary" is compelling and a genuine insight behind the scenes.

As far as genuine reality, this is WWE level staging and story telling.
This docu will simply fuel pre-existing agendas as predicted

I'm putting this here, as not sure where else to put it and it seems quite a few members are reading this thread. I had a call this morning, supposedly from Amazon Prime, saying that I needed to log into my laptop, cancel my free trial and reinstate it, otherwise I was going to be charged for the rest of the month. I stopped the call when he asked for the password and id that came up. I rang Amazon and they confirmed this was a scam call, but as I hadn't given them any passwords or bank details, I was ok. I have given my laptop to my IT guide just to service it, in case the laptop was infected, just to be safe. I just wanted to warn people, and if I could have got hold of the bastard, I would have punched his lights out. These people want stringing up, if they used their intelligence for good, what a better world this would be! Still angry that I nearly got sucked in.

Just curious what did you do for Discovery? I was an op manager there might have approved Commision on your work. Best know so I don’t make that mistake again (only joking) still would like to know
Many of the films I made were co-productions - 30 minute films in series like QED & Living Proof for BBC1 and 50 minutes for Discovery.
Secrets of the Cloud People about a lost pre-Inca civilization in the Andean cloud forest.
Raising the Dead about people surviving death through natural or artificially-induced hypothermia, including a Falklands War veteran left for dead.
I even made a documentary about Spontaneous Human Combustion which was watched by almost ten million Brits, back in the days when a BBC1 "science" documentary could actually attract an audience.

Many of the films I made were co-productions - 30 minute films in series like QED & Living Proof for BBC1 and 50 minutes for Discovery.
Secrets of the Cloud People about a lost pre-Inca civilization in the Andean cloud forest.
Raising the Dead about people surviving death through natural or artificially-induced hypothermia, including a Falklands War veteran left for dead.
I even made a documentary about Spontaneous Human Combustion which was watched by almost ten million Brits, back in the days when a BBC1 "science" documentary could actually attract an audience.
I'd like to watch that if it's available anywhere?

This one?

Remember watching this back in the day....

When was this? Late 80's/early 90's?

I'd like to watch that if it's available anywhere?
I had a quick look and whilst copies of a couple of my documentaries seem to exist on YouTube, that one doesn't.
I have a VHS & master tape copy (even though it was shot on Super 16mm), which are no use to anyone but me. Yes it's that long ago....

I had a quick look and whilst copies of a couple of my documentaries seem to exist on YouTube, that one doesn't.
I have a VHS & master tape copy (even though it was shot on Super 16mm), which are no use to anyone but me. Yes it's that long ago....
Ah ok. Thanks for the insight into the world behind the lens though. I appreciate it.

The following is mine, with the original "real Indiana Jones", an old school explorer named Gene Savoy who spent decades getting bitten by snakes in the Amazon searching for the City of Z and found a pre-Inca civilization known as the Chachapoyas (or People of the Clouds).
It features an excellent Peruvian archaeologist and anthropologist, Dr Sonia Guillen, investigating dozens of mummies found in 1997 in cliff tombs above a sacred lake.
It looks like it's digitized off VHS, hence the "tracking" symbols in the first minute for those who recall the technology....
This is the half hour QED BBC1 version, but I also made a 50-minute Discovery doc from the same rushes.

Chachapoya culture - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Ok before my time in that position, well done I know them. Hopefully you’re still at it and if you are let us know in case something comes across my desk in future

I'm putting this here, as not sure where else to put it and it seems quite a few members are reading this thread. I had a call this morning, supposedly from Amazon Prime, saying that I needed to log into my laptop, cancel my free trial and reinstate it, otherwise I was going to be charged for the rest of the month. I stopped the call when he asked for the password and id that came up. I rang Amazon and they confirmed this was a scam call, but as I hadn't given them any passwords or bank details, I was ok. I have given my laptop to my IT guide just to service it, in case the laptop was infected, just to be safe. I just wanted to warn people, and if I could have got hold of the bastard, I would have punched his lights out. These people want stringing up, if they used their intelligence for good, what a better world this would be! Still angry that I nearly got sucked in.

This scam was picked up by the press - they tell you they have sent you £4,000 instead of £40 and that they'll get fired unless you transfer back £3,960....worked on some poor old bloke

This scam was picked up by the press - they tell you they have sent you £4,000 instead of £40 and that they'll get fired unless you transfer back £3,960....worked on some poor old bloke
Some of us are too trusting, and their websites look so real. So easy to be taken in, you have to keep your wits about you all the time.

:levyeyes:

Back
Top Bottom