Alex Ferguson...!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Aye, his wife Cathy had the final say I believe. Happy wife, happy life I suppose. I do also think he wanted to win another European trophy too. He’d won the Cup Winners Cup in 83, the Super Cup in 84 (as well as the League and Cup double) and had came close in Europe again. So I doubt it was all down to her.

Sliding doors for both clubs as we ended up with Peter Shreeves and Aberdeen eventually suffered the nightmare of Ian Porterfield. The odd high point aside, pretty much unfulfilled promise from both clubs for the past almost forty years.

Jim McLean was amazing, yes. He was a scary fucker. Looked quite mild mannered until he opened his mouth and had a look that he could put on that turned you to stone. Remember being a ball boy once at an Aberdeen v United match. Must have been 11 years old maybe? just before kick off, he wandered up to me smiling, the turned that look on and growled “no fucking about son, I’m fucking watching you”, keep the gaze on me for what seemed like a month and then strode off. I shat myself. Think I was still shaking the following week. 😂
Jim McLean had an aura and respect with his players after there careers had finished Dave Bowman if your familiar with Scottish football was hardly a shrinking violent, he’d accompanied Jim McLean to a function he had a pint but asked permission to have another. Fully grown adult

That first clip is exactly why he achieved what he did.

And why Pep, Mour and Ancelotti achieved on the same elite level.

As fans, it's so important to get into this sort of headspace and demand more and more from top to bottom.

Mentality is everything.
Strangely these clips made me happier about Ange. Good reminder it does not happen all at once and a similar belife in how you play being as important on occasion as the result( just not this Sunday)

Jim McLean had an aura and respect with his players after there careers had finished Dave Bowman if your familiar with Scottish football was hardly a shrinking violent, he’d accompanied Jim McLean to a function he had a pint but asked permission to have another. Fully grown adult
Dave Bowman was a fucking lunatic on the pitch. The thought of him asking permission to have a pint does raise a chuckle.

I see Paul Hegarty quite often these days. He has some fantastic stories about life at Dundee United back then. Only serve as confirmation of what you think was going on back then. 😂

Dave Bowman was a fucking lunatic on the pitch. The thought of him asking permission to have a pint does raise a chuckle.

I see Paul Hegarty quite often these days. He has some fantastic stories about life at Dundee United back then. Only serve as confirmation of what you think was going on back then. 😂
Scotland then Narey (lucky toe poke) & Hegarty , Miller & McLeish , Levein, Hansen, Evans (villa) no old firm players in the mix scotland blessed with central defenders early 80s

Scotland then Narey (lucky toe poke) & Hegarty , Miller & McLeish , Levein, Hansen, Evans (villa) no old firm players in the mix scotland blessed with central defenders early 80s
Midfield and attack not too shabby then either. No idea why we didn’t do more as a national team.

Fuck your “lucky toe poke” though. Wonderful goal. Seem to recall every goal in that match was top quality.

Midfield and attack not too shabby then either. No idea why we didn’t do more as a national team.

Fuck your “lucky toe poke” though. Wonderful goal. Seem to recall every goal in that match was top quality.
All that did was irk the Brazilians 😂😂 big Al in goal was a bit static 🤪

That Scotland team also had Dalglish and Souness. They basically had the 3 best players in the best team in Europe at the time (Liverpool). Plus Strachan, Robertson, Archibald and a few others. Plus a legend manager in Jock Stein.

They still did nothing. They’ve never had any team as strong since.

That Scotland team also had Dalglish and Souness. They basically had the 3 best players in the best team in Europe at the time (Liverpool). Plus Strachan, Robertson, Archibald and a few others. Plus a legend manager in Jock Stein.

They still did nothing. They’ve never had any team as strong since.
World Cup in 82 scotland had a good team they players you mentioned but managed to fuck it up, Ferguson was maybe assistant to Stein ?

Back
Top Bottom