Adebayor

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting that the average weekly wage in the UK in 1978 was £68, and the average wage for a first division footballer was £330.

So Pat Jenning would have earned on average, nearly 5X more money than the average working man.

Poor thing having to move house for that.
Much shorter career though. Did we even give him a testimonial for 13 years service?

I think you'll find Poch chose his captain & vice captain. Are you going to give him a tongue lashing as well?

No, I back both Ade and Kaboul, so I dont have a problem with it.

My point was, that if you are going to use the pathetic argument that "he was on the Legends Tour" as proof that him joining The Scum is ok, then you must think the Clubs decisions are all Gospel.

Much shorter career though. Did we even give him a testimonial for 13 years service?

Shorter career? He played 8 years for them and he was already 33 when he joined...by 1985, they were averaging £1000 a week.

The money argument is a non starter. If he was going to be skint at Utd, he would have been skint at the gooners.

It wasnt Woolwich or nothing. There were 3 other clubs after him. He chose them, to get back at the board, and hurt a lot of Spurs fans. If thats ok to people, thats up to them, but trying to justify it doesnt wash.

Last edited:
Shorter career? He played 8 years for them...by 1985, they were averaging £1000 a week.

The money argument is a non starter. If he was going to be skint at Utd, he would have been skint at the gooners.

It wasnt Woolwich or nothing. There were 3 clubs after him. He chose them, to get back at the board, and hurt a lot of Spurs fans. If thats ok to people, thats up to them, but trying to justify it doesnt wash.
Yes, shorter career. The working man has 45 years or so. Jennings as a top keeper had a longer career than most pro's admittedly, but my guess is that woolwich offered the best contract, so as a professional he went where the money was. I don't know of course, nor do you, but he doesn't strike me as a spiteful person.

Is this still the adebayor thread?

I met pat Jennings once and he was a good bloke. The fact that I had to meet him whilst dressed as a cartoon cat mascot as part of some company's promotional tour in the car park of a cash and carry in Hackney on an unseasonably hot day, doesn't take too much shine off it.

Yes, shorter career. The working man has 45 years or so. Jennings as a top keeper had a longer career than most pro's admittedly, but my guess is that woolwich offered the best contract, so as a professional he went where the money was. I don't know of course, nor do you, but he doesn't strike me as a spiteful person.

Look, the only thing I have said, is that he went to the Scum, when he didnt have to...they offered him the best contract? Maybe so....thats a wild guess. And if they did, then he chose Woolwich for money. Legend.

The other point being made is that he lived in London. So he chose Woolwich for convenience. Legend.

There are no economical reasons that Pat Jennings had to play for them and not Utd. The notion is pathetic, and everyone arguing it, knows it.

But its a lot easier for them to pretend he would have died from starvation in Manchester, than it is for them to simply admit they think its ok for players to leave Spurs and join Woolwich.

I mean, there is nothing else.

Look, the only thing I have said, is that he went to the Scum, when he didnt have to...they offered him the best contract? Maybe so....thats a wild guess. And if they did, then he chose Woolwich for money. Legend.

The other point being made is that he lived in London. So he chose Woolwich for convenience. Legend.

There are no economical reasons that Pat Jennings had to play for them and not Utd. The notion is pathetic, and everyone arguing it, knows it.

But its a lot easier for them to pretend he would have died from starvation in Manchester, than it is for them to simply admit they think its ok for players to leave Spurs and join Woolwich.

I mean, there is nothing else.
So if a professional can stay in London for more money (it wouldn't have been less) he should up sticks and move to Manchester? Why? There is nothing else to consider, as you say.

So if a professional can stay in London for more money (it wouldn't have been less) he should up sticks and move to Manchester? Why? There is nothing else to consider, as you say.

Because it meant joining Woolwich after playing for Tottenham for 13 years. Am I seriously having to spell this out now?

All this despite the "fact" (and I use that word lightly as we have no idea whatsoever what Utd were offering) that he would have been paid 4-5 times the average wage, wherever he went to play.

So, in essence, people think its ok to join them from us, for money, even though money wasnt an issue. It was simply a case of "even more money" (possibly).

I dont think it was ok, and if Kane, or Lloris did the same, I still wouldnt think it was ok. You might, thats up to you though.

Because it meant joining Woolwich after playing for Tottenham for 13 years. Am I seriously having to spell this out now?

All this despite the "fact" (and I use that word lightly as we have no idea whatsoever what Utd were offering) that he would have been paid 4-5 times the average wage, wherever he went to play.

So, in essence, people think its ok to join them from us, for money, even though money wasnt an issue. It was simply even more money (possibly).

I dont think it was ok, and if Kane, or Lloris did the same, I still wouldnt think it was ok. You might, thats up to you though.
No you don't have to spell it out. He was 32, a long, long way from financial security, on £300 a week. Any comparison with modern day players is silly - of course money was an issue, and who the fuck would want to live in Manchester when they'd lived their whole adult life in the London area? Obviously we would have preferred him to go anywhere but those cunts, but a 32 year old with a young family? I can understand it.
Wives, houses, kid's schools. It was real life off the pitch.

So, in essence, people think its ok to join them from us, for money, even though money wasnt an issue. It was simply a case of "even more money" (possibly).

Anyway, agree to disagree on this one?

No you don't have to spell it out. He was 32, a long, long way from financial security, on £300 a week. Any comparison with modern day players is silly - of course money was an issue, and who the fuck would want to live in Manchester when they'd lived their whole adult life in the London area? Obviously we would have preferred him to go anywhere but those cunts, but a 32 year old with a young family? I can understand it.

I havent compared his wage to modern players...Ive compared it to normal jobs at the same time, which were around £68 a week, to Jennings £330.

Like I said before, you have no idea what Utd were offering. It may have been 10 quid a week less...maybe he could have done without that nice hat for another week..

It may have been more. We dont know, and it doesnt matter, because it would still have been 4-5 times above the normal bloke on the street. Enough to live well, which Im sure he did at arse.

Last edited:

Astonishing.

Are you for hire? Is this what you do? Your job I mean. Is it to engineer clicks? How many sites does it take to turn a living?

What do you have to know to garner enough clicks to eat? Is it easy? I bet it is.

Specially here. It must fecund for you.

ssmmmy

Astonishing.

Are you for hire? Is this what you do? Your job I mean. Is it to engineer clicks? How many sites does it take to turn a living?

What do you have to know to garner enough clicks to eat? Is it easy? I bet it is.

Specially here. It must fecund for you.

ssmmmy

Water fulfills life
Nourishes soils, fills reservoirs
Only abrades fences.

Back
Top Bottom