Academic query re Spurs/Forest 1983

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hi all, newbie here
Wondering if you fine Spurs folk can help me with an academic project I'm currently doing. I'm researching Sunday in sport (not the old paper) and Spurs play a big role, having hosted Nottingham Forest in the first Sunday top flight game on Oct 2, 1983. Does anyone know about how admission to the ground took place? Was it by programme? Or had the club ignored, like everyone else, the then Sunday laws which prevented sports to charge for admission on Sundays? I bought the programme on Ebay. That suggests it was by normal ticket as the price of the programme was just 50p. And there's no ticketing information inside. Unfortunately the club said they don't help out on educational projects which I found a bit unfair! Anyway, hoping someone can provide me with this nugget of information which is quite important to my research.
Thanks for any help!
Tony

Hi all, newbie here
Wondering if you fine Spurs folk can help me with an academic project I'm currently doing. I'm researching Sunday in sport (not the old paper) and Spurs play a big role, having hosted Nottingham Forest in the first Sunday top flight game on Oct 2, 1983. Does anyone know about how admission to the ground took place? Was it by programme? Or had the club ignored, like everyone else, the then Sunday laws which prevented sports to charge for admission on Sundays? I bought the programme on Ebay. That suggests it was by normal ticket as the price of the programme was just 50p. And there's no ticketing information inside. Unfortunately the club said they don't help out on educational projects which I found a bit unfair! Anyway, hoping someone can provide me with this nugget of information which is quite important to my research.
Thanks for any help!
Tony
Would have thought you'd be better off looking for the programmes for the matches 2-6 weeks before that one, when they'd have been publishing ticketing details

Hi all, newbie here
Thanks for any help!
Tony
You might want to try contacting our club historian: Club Historian 21 October 2015 - News - tottenhamhotspur.com .
[email protected] should be his email address.

That's really good information. Thanks so much. Was trying to eke that information out of the press office but they were reluctant to help me.
Will give it a go.

That's really good information. Thanks so much. Was trying to eke that information out of the press office but they were reluctant to help me.
Will give it a go.
That's cos the current press office looks like this;
white-hart-lane-2.jpg

Last edited:
I've a feeling you just had to pay on the door for that one... they only issued tickets for West Stand and Upper tier seating elsewhere in the ground didn't they?
Everywhere else (believe it or not kids) was standing!
I don't think everyone got in for free just 'cos it was a Sunday...
Scholar would never have allowed it!

Got my ticket here,£1.50!
You couldn't possibly take a pic of it and post it here could you? Got in touch with the club historian and it's interesting that he couldn't find any ticketing information in the prior games' programmes. I guess the club was working out what to do about admission whether to charge by programme or as normal?

"purs play a big role, having hosted Nottingham Forest in the first Sunday top flight game on Oct 2, 1983"

Just had a quick look and was not the first Sunday Top Flight game Stoke vs Chelsea in 1974?
Or am I missing something?

Thanks! Now this does change my section on football. During that power crisis a lot of lower league clubs played on Sunday. Always thought the top flight kept out of it. Now have to reference/research this game, and change the Tottenham match to first live top flight Sunday match. Owe you a beer!

I was at this one, but don't remember anything different about entry conditions as I was a Shelf season ticket holder by then.
Call me old-fashioned, but football should be played on Saturday at 3pm and Tue or Wed night for cup games.

Back
Top Bottom