About f'king time

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The only way to achieve "all" is to have a panel looking at every contested decision on a video and correcting the ref if needed, like in the NFL.

The game would take about 3 hours, but at least it would be fair..;)

In the NFL each head coach is granted ONE challenge per half. There is a penalty for being wrong as well (losing one of 3 timeouts). The replay system has become a popular aspect of the game and an added source of drama. The supporters love justice. In a football match, I can't imagine there would be more than 5 minutes of "replay time" in any given game if such a system existed. Because the clock continues to run and extra time would be given the officials would have an impetus to act expediently. Besides, would any of us really be upset if the game was slightly longer? OH NOES!!! I had to watch the football!

In the NFL each head coach is granted ONE challenge per half. There is a penalty for being wrong as well (losing one of 3 timeouts). The replay system has become a popular aspect of the game and an added source of drama. The supporters love justice. In a football match, I can't imagine there would be more than 5 minutes of "replay time" in any given game if such a system existed. Because the clock continues to run and extra time would be given the officials would have an impetus to act expediently. Besides, would any of us really be upset if the game was slightly longer? OH NOES!!! I had to watch the football!

Does a replay system work outside of sports built around the idea of multiple short plays? In American Football, Cricket, and Tennis the system works because you're directly analysing a short amount of play. With Football though, there's not always going to be a convenient stopping point to allow for the video to be played.

If only there was a way that we could instantly see the passage of play that just recently occurred. Like a replay of sorts. That would be cool wouldn't it? I bet there's a fortune to be made for the person who develops this technology. It could be called "See-it-Again" or "Do-Over Time"..."Insta-Play" is good too. Let me ruminate on this. I'm sure there's something in it.

Does a replay system work outside of sports built around the idea of multiple short plays? In American Football, Cricket, and Tennis the system works because you're directly analysing a short amount of play. With Football though, there's not always going to be a convenient stopping point to allow for the video to be played.

Usually you are only going to contest a pretty critical decision though, like a goal, offside or sending off. So the game will already be stopped.

Give 2 challenges per half, if your challenge is unsuccessful you lose the other one. 4th official gets 1 minute to review footage, if no decision can be made in that time, the original decision stands.

Don't think it would kill the game too much personally, its a maximum of 4 minutes stoppage, which would be taking place at the same time as a goal celebration or a guy walking off the pitch in some circumstances.

Usually you are only going to contest a pretty critical decision though, like a goal, offside or sending off. So the game will already be stopped.

What about if you're contesting a goal that wasn't given, or a sending off that should have been but wasn't seen by the ref? Are the managers then allowed to interrupt the running of the game to have their concerns heard? If so, what if it gets used cynically to interrupt an opponents attack?.

I don't disagree that there's a way some sort of appeals system could work, I just don't think we're there yet

Pretty much what Burko said. It could work well. Personally, two challenges per half is too many. One per half would do the trick since we're only talking about major decisions anyway. Keep in mind, you can only challenge calls that were actually made and only decisions that aren't entirely subjective (did a foul occur in the area, placement of a spot kick, offsides, goal line decisions, potentially used to confirm a red card decision, etc.). For instance, a manager cannot stop play to suggest that a penalty ought to have been called. It is impossible to challenge a non-decision. So yeah, Burko is right. Challenges would only occur during ordinary stoppages of play anyway. But the whole discussion is moot since it'll never happen. But it works well in the NFL and hasn't caused any breakdown in the enjoyment of the game.

I agree it isnt ready yet, and needs to be fully tested for the exact reasons you state.

The whole Head Injury = Game stopped issue is used a lot to stop an attack these days, I personally think that in the case of a head injury the physio shouldn't have to wait for the ref to wave him on. Makes sense from a player safety point of view doesnt it?

We definitely need something though, because with the amount of money at stake clubs can go out of business on the incorrect decision being made.

Mate, it's a British system. It's been used at Wimbledon for a decade.
I just made the observation that it has been used in cricket here for years and has made a very positive contribution to the game. First used in cricket in UK 2001 England v Pakistan test match. mate

Back
Top Bottom