Aaron Lennon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This thread needs a new life/entries because Lennon has been such an asset to us this year (and not only this year). For someone that has been at Spurs so long and always works as hard as he does there is a lack of appraisal from the fans (at least it feels that way sometimes). After a remark by spooky spooky a few weeks back i started paying more attention to what he does and its pretty impressive , always positive , always wanting to get involved , always tracking back when needed, going in to duels with blokes three times his size and more and more effective these days.

First player on the teamsheet for me.

Think he has really upped his game this season.

Previous seasons he has always been a nearly man for me.

AVB said something interesting about him recently along the lines of 'sometimes he lives a little bit in the shadows but realises he can be a play at a higher level'

That says to me something has changed, either he has suddenly realised what he needs to do to become more effective, AVB is doing something to get more out of him or simply, at his age, experience is proving very useful.

Parker salutes ‘unplayable’ Spurs team-mate

Lennon has contributed three goals and six assists for Tottenham this season, including his winning strike at Sunderland on Saturday and the cross for Emmanuel Adebayor’s header against Reading yesterday – and Parker says the winger has hit a whole new level.
“Is this the best he’s ever played? Yes, I think that’s fair,” said Parker. “Over the last four or five weeks he’s been unplayable really.
“He was at a different level [against Reading], not just because of his raw pace and his threat on and around the ball, but his work-rate was something very special.
“I couldn’t think of anything worse if I was a full-back than having him running at me - and I’m sure every full-back out there has the same feeling. He deserves a special mention, he has been brilliant.”
Lennon returned to the England fold in 2012 after a two-year absence following the disastrous 2010 World Cup, and Parker expects his Lilywhites colleague to be heavily involved this year as well.
“I am sure he will be,” he said. “He has been involved in the last couple of squads and someone of Azza’s qualities should definitely be in there.
“You can see that he’s been working hard on his final ball, with the amount of times he gets to that by-line - and he set up the goal yesterday.
“He probably could have set up another couple if they had fallen for the right people. He has certainly added that to his game, which is pleasing.
“Everyone knows what qualities we have out wide, and [Gareth] Bale and Azza have been at the top of that.
“I think Gareth is a fantastic player and sometimes he gets all the headlines, but Azza has been key to that as well.”

by Ben Pearce

Lennon returned to the England fold in 2012 after a two-year absence following the disastrous 2010 World Cup
I was all bajigitty over Lennon's opportunity in South Africa, and even insisted to everyone around me that he'd be the breakout player of the tournament for England. I was mocked. To tears. Well, more beers.

And you know what? I deserved it. Lennon looked astonishingly scared of making a splash. Whenever he'd get the ball, it looked like he would try to find Lampard or some other more senior player and dump it off after one touch. A mazy run, linking up with the RB (like his great work with Ćorluka—it's crazy to remember that there was a time when Walker and Lennon's lack of telepathy made me call for Charlie to start ahead of Kyle)… these things were all missing from his game down there.

I now have in my imagination the picture of AVB asking Lennon into his office and saying, "Aaron… you're the biggest guy on the team. Why do you let Gareth get all the plaudits? You should both be superstars." And Lennon says to himself, "the gaffer's right. I'm going to FUCK SHIT UP."

This thread needs a new life/entries because Lennon has been such an asset to us this year (and not only this year). For someone that has been at Spurs so long and always works as hard as he does there is a lack of appraisal from the fans (at least it feels that way sometimes). After a remark by spooky spooky a few weeks back i started paying more attention to what he does and its pretty impressive , always positive , always wanting to get involved , always tracking back when needed, going in to duels with blokes three times his size and more and more effective these days.

First player on the teamsheet for me.

I think he's brilliant and getting better and better this season but I'm not sure about first on the team sheet (unless it's done alphabetically by Christian name).

I've been saying this season that maybe he's lost a tiny bit of his pace but refined his decision making and his crossing accuracy. I was wrong because against Sunderland and Reading he looked as quick as ever.

As T has mentioned, his injury record is pony but worse than that, he always gets injured when he is on form. His best spell of form for us, other than his first season was three seasons ago and he got injured against West Ham around Christmas time ruling him out for pretty much the remainder of the season. Prior to that, he had been by far our best player. I hope, with management, his injuries, which are always muscular, are a thing of the past.

He is also a target for some fans. I know a couple of blokes who call him Lemon which infuriates me, as they keep referring to his failings that are a thing of the past. His delivery is still not as good as could be but is far improved and his overall team work can not be overstated.

Plus, he struts....all the fucking time.

I was all bajigitty over Lennon's opportunity in South Africa, and even insisted to everyone around me that he'd be the breakout player of the tournament for England. I was mocked. To tears. Well, more beers.

And you know what? I deserved it. Lennon looked astonishingly scared of making a splash. Whenever he'd get the ball, it looked like he would try to find Lampard or some other more senior player and dump it off after one touch. A mazy run, linking up with the RB (like his great work with Ćorluka—it's crazy to remember that there was a time when Walker and Lennon's lack of telepathy made me call for Charlie to start ahead of Kyle)… these things were all missing from his game down there.

I now have in my imagination the picture of AVB asking Lennon into his office and saying, "Aaron… you're the biggest guy on the team. Why do you let Gareth get all the plaudits? You should both be superstars." And Lennon says to himself, "the gaffer's right. I'm going to FUCK SHIT UP."

And THAT is the problem with the England team in general!

Tie between him and Sandro for my favorite player. He's got a big penis.
Saw him at the Lane against Reading last week and he was the best player on the pitch followed closely by Sandro. Lennon worked so hard throughout the game, was our most potent threat going forward and I lost count of the amount of times he tracked back and nicked the ball to stop one of their counter attacks. Him and Sandro were buckets FULL OF AWESOME.

Saw him at the Lane against Reading last week and he was the best player on the pitch followed closely by Sandro. Lennon worked so hard throughout the game, was our most potent threat going forward and I lost count of the amount of times he tracked back and nicked the ball to stop one of their counter attacks. Him and Sandro were buckets FULL OF AWESOME.
He is one of those players that are even better in person. Can really appreciate his game more.

His form has always fluctuated. Was always berated for his delivery, which has steadily improved season upon season. Also seems to want to get in the box more now which is good.
Still needs to score more goals though imo

The problem Lennon has, is the perception of him. JD suffers from it too. I like to call it UK gangster syndrome.

People (generally because they are a bit stupid and racist) lump the likes of JD and Lennon in with the likes of Kieron Dyer and Jermaine Pennant. People like to think of certain English players as lazy and unfocused. More concerned about matters off the pitch than on it.

To be honest I dont give a shit about what players do off the field, as long as they put in a shift on it and they dont let it affect their play. JD doesnt even drink for gods sake. So what if he boffs a few BB girls?

People still trott out the no end product line about Lennon but that hasnt been true for about 2 years now. Of course he has and end product.

Great little players both of them.

As for the word Legend...In the last 20 years there has been one legend at the club. That is all.

Today he was absolutely magnificent. Thanks to AVB he has improved as a player in the attacking part of the game, defencive he has always been solid IMO. If some of the gif-masters in here could make a gif out of his interception in the 18th minute that would've been great.

WHAT an interception that was :avbdamn:
Also a beautiful assist

:lennon: :lennon: :lennon: :lennon: :lennon: :lennon: :lennon: :lennon: :lennon: :lennon:

Our man of the match - easily

The fact he's not even starting for England in his position sums up the national team in a sentence

Back
Top Bottom